Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

Originally posted by LTI Alum View Post
    Just checked into my hotel 2.7 miles from the arena. That should be good enough to insure my arrival by gametime. Glad to see BU won. It seemed that most of their fans in here didn't expect it. Neither did I. So much for Dakota's home ice advantage.
    Yeah, all week they seemed more focused on deficiencies in their team and coaching than the game at hand. They may have an NHL draft all star team to root for but I'd take our approach and team any day.

I plan on having breakfast in Manchester by 8-8:30 tomorrow morning. It really is pretty ridiculous on the part of Manchester though to have so much happening on the same weekend that can put incredible strains on parking, roadways, and people attending. Hope it really isn't a cluster but based upon past experience, they can't even handle basic traffic management when it's only a hockey game at 5:00 (see 2013 regional), let alone throwing a half marathon and trade show into the mix.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
      Yeah, all week they seemed more focused on deficiencies in their team and coaching than the game at hand. They may have an NHL draft all star team to root for but I'd take our approach and team any day.

I plan on having breakfast in Manchester by 8-8:30 tomorrow morning. It really is pretty ridiculous on the part of Manchester though to have so much happening on the same weekend that can put incredible strains on parking, roadways, and people attending. Hope it really isn't a cluster but based upon past experience, they can't even handle basic traffic management when it's only a hockey game at 5:00 (see 2013 regional), let alone throwing a half marathon and trade show into the mix.
      Like the sound of this plan. Lil is in possession of his ticket and a driveable car.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Like the sound of this plan. Lil is in possession of his ticket and a driveable car.
        So you're heading up and he'll follow later?
        Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
          So you're heading up and he'll follow later?
          yep. I am a bad Mum. He was hoping to be done by noon. By the time we got there, parked the whole game would be done.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            yep. I am a bad Mum. He was hoping to be done by noon. By the time we got there, parked the whole game would be done.
            Ha! Not even going to try to get to the Red Arrow Diner which is up in the Marathon Ground Zero area (save that for later in the day when that all clears out). Was planning on just heading to the diner attached to Murphy's Taproom, that way I'm conveniently located next to pregame location which hopefully will be open earlier after breakfast.
            Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

I have no idea where to park tomorrow. Almost every lot that the SNHU Arena has listed on their map is north of the venue and right smack dab in the middle of the road closures for the marathon. This is going to be ridiculous.
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                I have no idea where to park tomorrow. Almost every lot that the SNHU Arena has listed on their map is north of the venue and right smack dab in the middle of the road closures for the marathon. This is going to be ridiculous.
                I'm looking forward to the posts and comments after this as it has the potential to be a fiasco. Need to know who actually bids for this (UNH, City of Manchester, arena, etc.) as they should all get an earful for not properly coordinating and over-booking their downtown. NCAA should reconsider future bids. And someone should tell Manchester that St. Patrick's Day was last week as this parade on Sunday, if we have to deal with it, affects the entire stretch of Elm Street down past the arena from 11-2 (game at 3:30 but still affects arrival and pregame stuff).

But the issue at hand is this. With regard to the marathon, when looking at the Arena Parking Map and the Marathon Route Map, everything to the left of Granite Street and Lake Avenue (south of that area) is accessible including Exit 5 off the highway. Everything to the right (north) is inaccessible including the majority of those parking areas on the arena map. Did some digging and both the arena and marathon people said that the garage across from the arena by the hotel at the corner of Granite and Elm is accessible and available (how much availability is TBD given marathon and the fact the hotel is also hosting the Made In New Hampshire Trade Show from 10-8 Saturday...I guess Manchester does the same job coordinating their events as Les says the do with event traffic management).

The arena said other than that garage, it would be on street parking in the areas south of Granite, to the left on their parking map. Marathon people said that in addition to on street, there are many private lots in that area that wave folks in and charge during events. And Commercial Street will be accessible they said to the south towards the ball park as well as north along the mill areas as that street to the north is not within the marathon course zone. So there would be on street, mill parking lots as office workers aren't there, and possibly some of those lots shown on the arena map further to the north/right on the arena parking map closer to the river.
                Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                  I am planning on trying to find a spot near the JFK Coliseum / Gill Stadium which is south east of SNHU Arena and about a 15 minute walk. Good luck!
                  University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Manchester businesses look forward to hockey tourney visitors
                    http://www.unionleader.com/Businesse...hockey-tourney

Div. I Men's Ice Hockey Championship: Gophers, Irish set for battle:
                    http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...TS22/170329538
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                      Actually the big garage across from the arena isn't caught up in the closure, despite what the marathon closure map said. Only problem is it's filling up.
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

Comment

Go Lowell! Beat the "Big Red." I have been to two of the "Red Hot Hockey" events at Madison Square Garden between BU and Cornell. Let's just say the Cornell fans were...dismissive and condescending. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Go Lowell! Beat the "Big Red." I have been to two of the "Red Hot Hockey" events at Madison Square Garden between BU and Cornell. Let's just say the Cornell fans were...dismissive and condescending. I'll leave it at that.
                          Well that'll make for a fun crowd
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            I'm not one of NH's proud pickup with the huge American flag in the bed driving Americans or anything, but there is no place for yelling "red" during the national anthem. Ever.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                              Well that'll make for a fun crowd
                              At least there will be two different colors. It was a sea of red when we played them? But seriously, maybe they'll be better today. Besides, I think people have pretty much been able to select sections that allow them to sit with their own fans. At MSG we were pretty dispersed and among a lot of Cornell fans. But today will be "blue" vs "red."

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                I'm not one of NH's proud pickup with the huge American flag in the bed driving Americans or anything, but there is no place for yelling "red" during the national anthem. Ever.
                                Or "Sioux." (sorry, don't mean to make light of it - it just reminded me of the 2015 Frozen Four in Boston - it's when I realized that BU, essentially a "home" team, was VASTLY outnumbered by the North Dakota fans who would, when it got to "O'er the land of the free, And the home of the..." yell "Sioux")

I don't like it either.

Comment

Working...
                                X