Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
    Tyrone definitely made some big saves in the first 5 minutes. Lowell played like hot garbage and never adjusted.
    I thought UML carried the play throughout the game. They had opportunity after opportunity and could not finish. The 2 UNH goals in the first period were relatively soft. Unfortunately after UML cut the lead to one, they proceeded to have a collective brain fart and handed the puck to UNH who then scored a pretty goal and squash the crowd.

Lets forget about tonight and the PWR and gets some W's on Saturday and Sunday.
    University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
      I thought UML carried the play throughout the game. They had opportunity after opportunity and could not finish. The 2 UNH goals in the first period were relatively soft. Unfortunately after UML cut the lead to one, they proceeded to have a collective brain fart and handed the puck to UNH who then scored a pretty goal and squash the crowd.

Lets forget about tonight and the PWR and gets some W's on Saturday and Sunday.
      Give UNH credit. Once they scored that second goal they really played with a lot of confidence. It looked like a replay of Sunday's UNH / Merrimack game.

Even with the SOG advantage it didn't seem like the Hawks had that many clean "grade A" chances. A lot of shots blocked or right into Tirone's chest.
      Last edited by boblav1; 03-10-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        I always worry about a hot goaltender, and Tirone with over 110 saves last weekend is impressive. Now, I get that the firepower MC can put together isn't quite the same as Lowell's but confidence breeds confidence.

Here's hoping for a two game sweep. Third games scare me...
        I guess it's "be scared or go home" time then. I'm cool with a sweep if you can't handle the nerves and all.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Give UNH credit.

Yup. Good game by UNH. I thought that they were opportunistic. UML got away with a bunch of stuff that maybe they should not have. Not a great team effort for sure. Yell at them Norm!
          Let's start a 7 game win streak!
          GO UML!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leecoffee9 View Post
            Give UNH credit.

Yup. Good game by UNH. I thought that they were opportunistic. UML got away with a bunch of stuff that maybe they should not have. Not a great team effort for sure. Yell at them Norm!
            Let's start a 7 game win streak!
            GO UML!!!
            8 games... 8 games...
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Game highlights.

Coach Umile's post game press conference.

Norm's post game press conference.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                Highlights? There were highlights? I do give Lowell credit though for showing both sides of the game as that's something Notre Dame and some others don't do. You want to see a game recap and all you see are the home team's goals/big plays.

Lowell seemed out of sync much of the night, just a step off the puck or it just out of reach after a juicy rebound or whatever. Hopefully the timing is back tonight, same with Wall as giving up 3 goals on only 12 shots is pretty sad. But credit Lowell's defense for holding UNH to 12 shots so something was working last night. Need the well-rounded game tonight to force game three. Last night it took a longer than usual time for the players to come upstairs to the Pavilion after the game, hopefully that's a sign that Norm was ripping them a new one and/or the seniors laid it all out for the underclassmen.

Was pleased with the crowd size despite it being the start of spring break and it being a Friday. Can tell from the Tsongas on-line ticket site that tonight's crowd will be huge as far less seats are available at this point for tonight in comparison with yesterday afternoon for last night's game. Could be close to or over 6,000 for tonight. Wouldn't surprise me and let's hope it isn't all UNH fans scooping up bandwagon tickets.
                Last edited by riverchief1; 03-11-2017, 10:40 AM.
                Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  8 games... 8 games...
                  Haha. Of course. 8 games. my bad. Must have had one too many $7.75 Sam's last night.

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                    Lowell seemed out of sync much of the night, just a step off the puck or it just out of reach after a juicy rebound or whatever. Hopefully the timing is back tonight, same with Wall as giving up 3 goals on only 12 shots is pretty sad.
                    They were out of sync. The passing was off and at times they passed too much. They had a couple of wide open nets early in the game that they didn't take advantage of. Just make the simple plays instead of trying to pass through a player or into traffic.

I agree about Wall. I'm sure he would like the first two back. The pressure is on and they can't afford to fall behind again tonight. Just take care of business.

It was good to see former coach Blaise MacDonald in the crowd last night.

Comment

It has been quite a ride since my last post and now Lowell finds itself in a very interesting predicament. If a loss was in the cards and was going to benefit this team with creating a little adversity then last night was the game to lose. Over the 7 game winning stretch I really saw some positive signs that this team had finally found their identity and realized their strengths and weaknesses and were playing to them. Then we saw last night, which some of it can be attributed to the lay off and lack of timing but was a case where this team reverted back to many of its old tendencies. Not sure where this needs to land in terms of players and/or coaches but obviously this team was not prepared properly both mentally and from a proper game plan against UNH coming off a 2 week break.

I have previously stated my observations but again we saw how this Lowell team struggles against teams that clogs the NZ and then collapse in front of their net and that is exactly what UNH did last night. They did not generate much of a forecheck nor anything of the cycle down low but were content and sitting back and being opportunistic in creating turnovers and creating some offence off the rush. During the 7 game winning streak, the teams that Lowell played did not play this style and that includes the 2 game set against UNH because they played very differently. During that streak, the couple things that stood out for me was that they limited the turnovers in the NZ where they could actually attack with speed and support. They then chipped and spotted pucks where they could actually get first touches and support and then make strong plays to the net. The number of plays and goals that were scored from bringing the puck from behind the goal and or to the net front demonstrated this. The main key to this was a physical presence on the forecheck which translated into winning battles in the corners and in net front. Last night we saw very little of this and a team that was content on playing on the periphery with a mind set that they were so skilled that they could pass it into the back of the net.

Quite frankly Lowell needs to be cleaner through the NZ on both sides of the puck. The game against BU was one of their better games defensively in the NZ in terms of staying in their lanes and above the puck and opposing forwards and then angling and also coming back with back pressure. Last night we didn't see much of that. They coaching staff and players talk about playing fast though the NZ but they need to be able to receive passes cleanly and with speed and support in order to set up their entries and attack. Finally they need to have a physical presence on the forecheck and create some layering at net front. Last night they either didn't not have someone at net front or didn't have the second layer to gather the rebounds that went past the player at the top of the crease.

Finally a challenge has to go out to the leadership group and the best players on this team. If you want to be considered a legitimate first line, receive the accolades of being Hober Baker candidate and some of the best forwards and defencemen in the league then you have to show up when the games mean the most. It is easy to
                      score goals and put up points against teams that are in last place, ranked 50th in the nation and when the score gets run up in your favour. It is another thing to be the best and impose your will when the games mean the most and championships are on the line. You can't be a minus player and be a non-factor in these type of games.

This will be the challenge individually and we will see if Lowell truly has the mindset and determination to play with the identity that highlights their strengths. No need to panic as I believe and hope we will see a different team tonight with a different outcome.

Comment

...let's hope it isn't all UNH fans scooping up bandwagon tickets.
                        Bandwagon? Cat fans have been on board all season with the plan that the team has executed to a fault. Have you not been following our thread? Three wins and we participate in our hosted regional, wearing our lucky Blues along the way. Do I need to insert a smiley face here?
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          Bandwagon? Cat fans have been on board all season with the plan that the team has executed to a fault. Have you not been following our thread? Three wins and we participate in our hosted regional, wearing our lucky Blues along the way. Do I need to insert a smiley face here?
                          Boy, didn't know UNH fans were so sensitive and thinskinned. Guess all that "fire Umile" stuff is part of the plan the team has executed to a fault, same with all the fans we don't see anymore who used to pack Whittemore and traveled in huge numbers to away games. Say "hi" to the UNH Seal Lady from all the UML fans if you see her.
                          Last edited by riverchief1; 03-11-2017, 12:09 PM.
                          Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by RHawkobserver View Post
                            It has been quite a ride since my last post and now Lowell finds itself in a very interesting predicament. If a loss was in the cards and was going to benefit this team with creating a little adversity then last night was the game to lose. Over the 7 game winning stretch I really saw some positive signs that this team had finally found their identity and realized their strengths and weaknesses and were playing to them. Then we saw last night, which some of it can be attributed to the lay off and lack of timing but was a case where this team reverted back to many of its old tendencies. Not sure where this needs to land in terms of players and/or coaches but obviously this team was not prepared properly both mentally and from a proper game plan against UNH coming off a 2 week break.

I have previously stated my observations but again we saw how this Lowell team struggles against teams that clogs the NZ and then collapse in front of their net and that is exactly what UNH did last night. They did not generate much of a forecheck nor anything of the cycle down low but were content and sitting back and being opportunistic in creating turnovers and creating some offence off the rush. During the 7 game winning streak, the teams that Lowell played did not play this style and that includes the 2 game set against UNH because they played very differently. During that streak, the couple things that stood out for me was that they limited the turnovers in the NZ where they could actually attack with speed and support. They then chipped and spotted pucks where they could actually get first touches and support and then make strong plays to the net. The number of plays and goals that were scored from bringing the puck from behind the goal and or to the net front demonstrated this. The main key to this was a physical presence on the forecheck which translated into winning battles in the corners and in net front. Last night we saw very little of this and a team that was content on playing on the periphery with a mind set that they were so skilled that they could pass it into the back of the net.

Quite frankly Lowell needs to be cleaner through the NZ on both sides of the puck. The game against BU was one of their better games defensively in the NZ in terms of staying in their lanes and above the puck and opposing forwards and then angling and also coming back with back pressure. Last night we didn't see much of that. They coaching staff and players talk about playing fast though the NZ but they need to be able to receive passes cleanly and with speed and support in order to set up their entries and attack. Finally they need to have a physical presence on the forecheck and create some layering at net front. Last night they either didn't not have someone at net front or didn't have the second layer to gather the rebounds that went past the player at the top of the crease.

Finally a challenge has to go out to the leadership group and the best players on this team. If you want to be considered a legitimate first line, receive the accolades of being Hober Baker candidate and some of the best forwards and defencemen in the league then you have to show up when the games mean the most. It is easy to
                            score goals and put up points against teams that are in last place, ranked 50th in the nation and when the score gets run up in your favour. It is another thing to be the best and impose your will when the games mean the most and championships are on the line. You can't be a minus player and be a non-factor in these type of games.

This will be the challenge individually and we will see if Lowell truly has the mindset and determination to play with the identity that highlights their strengths. No need to panic as I believe and hope we will see a different team tonight with a different outcome.
                            As usual, a very detailed and informative analysis. Thank you for your efforts!
                            Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Boy, didn't know UNH fans were so sensitive and thinskinned. Guess all that "fire Umile" stuff is part of the plan the team has executed to a fault, same with all the fans we don't see anymore who used to pack Whittemore and travelled all over the place to away games. Say "hi" to the UNH Seal Lady from all the UML fans if you see her.
                              I suppose I should have inserted the smiley face? Seal lady?
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                I suppose I should have inserted the smiley face? Seal lady?
                                LOL! With Patronick not posting as much lately, someone has to fuel flames.

Seal Lady is a nickname Lowell fans have for a UNH fan that going back to the 1990s, several have encountered at Durham. UMLFan and others could expand about their experiences with her if anyone is so inclined.
                                Last edited by riverchief1; 03-11-2017, 12:20 PM.
                                Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X