Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 707

Thread: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

  1. #201

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    5,922

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2


  2. #202
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,746

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by boblav1 View Post
    Highlights? There were highlights? I do give Lowell credit though for showing both sides of the game as that's something Notre Dame and some others don't do. You want to see a game recap and all you see are the home team's goals/big plays.

    Lowell seemed out of sync much of the night, just a step off the puck or it just out of reach after a juicy rebound or whatever. Hopefully the timing is back tonight, same with Wall as giving up 3 goals on only 12 shots is pretty sad. But credit Lowell's defense for holding UNH to 12 shots so something was working last night. Need the well-rounded game tonight to force game three. Last night it took a longer than usual time for the players to come upstairs to the Pavilion after the game, hopefully that's a sign that Norm was ripping them a new one and/or the seniors laid it all out for the underclassmen.

    Was pleased with the crowd size despite it being the start of spring break and it being a Friday. Can tell from the Tsongas on-line ticket site that tonight's crowd will be huge as far less seats are available at this point for tonight in comparison with yesterday afternoon for last night's game. Could be close to or over 6,000 for tonight. Wouldn't surprise me and let's hope it isn't all UNH fans scooping up bandwagon tickets.
    Last edited by riverchief1; 03-11-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

    Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

    Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

  3. #203
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    53

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    8 games... 8 games...
    Haha. Of course. 8 games. my bad. Must have had one too many $7.75 Sam's last night.

  4. #204

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    5,922

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Lowell seemed out of sync much of the night, just a step off the puck or it just out of reach after a juicy rebound or whatever. Hopefully the timing is back tonight, same with Wall as giving up 3 goals on only 12 shots is pretty sad.
    They were out of sync. The passing was off and at times they passed too much. They had a couple of wide open nets early in the game that they didn't take advantage of. Just make the simple plays instead of trying to pass through a player or into traffic.

    I agree about Wall. I'm sure he would like the first two back. The pressure is on and they can't afford to fall behind again tonight. Just take care of business.

    It was good to see former coach Blaise MacDonald in the crowd last night.

  5. #205
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    It has been quite a ride since my last post and now Lowell finds itself in a very interesting predicament. If a loss was in the cards and was going to benefit this team with creating a little adversity then last night was the game to lose. Over the 7 game winning stretch I really saw some positive signs that this team had finally found their identity and realized their strengths and weaknesses and were playing to them. Then we saw last night, which some of it can be attributed to the lay off and lack of timing but was a case where this team reverted back to many of its old tendencies. Not sure where this needs to land in terms of players and/or coaches but obviously this team was not prepared properly both mentally and from a proper game plan against UNH coming off a 2 week break.

    I have previously stated my observations but again we saw how this Lowell team struggles against teams that clogs the NZ and then collapse in front of their net and that is exactly what UNH did last night. They did not generate much of a forecheck nor anything of the cycle down low but were content and sitting back and being opportunistic in creating turnovers and creating some offence off the rush. During the 7 game winning streak, the teams that Lowell played did not play this style and that includes the 2 game set against UNH because they played very differently. During that streak, the couple things that stood out for me was that they limited the turnovers in the NZ where they could actually attack with speed and support. They then chipped and spotted pucks where they could actually get first touches and support and then make strong plays to the net. The number of plays and goals that were scored from bringing the puck from behind the goal and or to the net front demonstrated this. The main key to this was a physical presence on the forecheck which translated into winning battles in the corners and in net front. Last night we saw very little of this and a team that was content on playing on the periphery with a mind set that they were so skilled that they could pass it into the back of the net.

    Quite frankly Lowell needs to be cleaner through the NZ on both sides of the puck. The game against BU was one of their better games defensively in the NZ in terms of staying in their lanes and above the puck and opposing forwards and then angling and also coming back with back pressure. Last night we didn't see much of that. They coaching staff and players talk about playing fast though the NZ but they need to be able to receive passes cleanly and with speed and support in order to set up their entries and attack. Finally they need to have a physical presence on the forecheck and create some layering at net front. Last night they either didn't not have someone at net front or didn't have the second layer to gather the rebounds that went past the player at the top of the crease.

    Finally a challenge has to go out to the leadership group and the best players on this team. If you want to be considered a legitimate first line, receive the accolades of being Hober Baker candidate and some of the best forwards and defencemen in the league then you have to show up when the games mean the most. It is easy to
    score goals and put up points against teams that are in last place, ranked 50th in the nation and when the score gets run up in your favour. It is another thing to be the best and impose your will when the games mean the most and championships are on the line. You can't be a minus player and be a non-factor in these type of games.

    This will be the challenge individually and we will see if Lowell truly has the mindset and determination to play with the identity that highlights their strengths. No need to panic as I believe and hope we will see a different team tonight with a different outcome.

  6. #206
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    ...let's hope it isn't all UNH fans scooping up bandwagon tickets.
    Bandwagon? Cat fans have been on board all season with the plan that the team has executed to a fault. Have you not been following our thread? Three wins and we participate in our hosted regional, wearing our lucky Blues along the way. Do I need to insert a smiley face here?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  7. #207
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,746

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Bandwagon? Cat fans have been on board all season with the plan that the team has executed to a fault. Have you not been following our thread? Three wins and we participate in our hosted regional, wearing our lucky Blues along the way. Do I need to insert a smiley face here?
    Boy, didn't know UNH fans were so sensitive and thinskinned. Guess all that "fire Umile" stuff is part of the plan the team has executed to a fault, same with all the fans we don't see anymore who used to pack Whittemore and traveled in huge numbers to away games. Say "hi" to the UNH Seal Lady from all the UML fans if you see her.
    Last edited by riverchief1; 03-11-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

    Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

    Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

  8. #208
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,746

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by RHawkobserver View Post
    It has been quite a ride since my last post and now Lowell finds itself in a very interesting predicament. If a loss was in the cards and was going to benefit this team with creating a little adversity then last night was the game to lose. Over the 7 game winning stretch I really saw some positive signs that this team had finally found their identity and realized their strengths and weaknesses and were playing to them. Then we saw last night, which some of it can be attributed to the lay off and lack of timing but was a case where this team reverted back to many of its old tendencies. Not sure where this needs to land in terms of players and/or coaches but obviously this team was not prepared properly both mentally and from a proper game plan against UNH coming off a 2 week break.

    I have previously stated my observations but again we saw how this Lowell team struggles against teams that clogs the NZ and then collapse in front of their net and that is exactly what UNH did last night. They did not generate much of a forecheck nor anything of the cycle down low but were content and sitting back and being opportunistic in creating turnovers and creating some offence off the rush. During the 7 game winning streak, the teams that Lowell played did not play this style and that includes the 2 game set against UNH because they played very differently. During that streak, the couple things that stood out for me was that they limited the turnovers in the NZ where they could actually attack with speed and support. They then chipped and spotted pucks where they could actually get first touches and support and then make strong plays to the net. The number of plays and goals that were scored from bringing the puck from behind the goal and or to the net front demonstrated this. The main key to this was a physical presence on the forecheck which translated into winning battles in the corners and in net front. Last night we saw very little of this and a team that was content on playing on the periphery with a mind set that they were so skilled that they could pass it into the back of the net.

    Quite frankly Lowell needs to be cleaner through the NZ on both sides of the puck. The game against BU was one of their better games defensively in the NZ in terms of staying in their lanes and above the puck and opposing forwards and then angling and also coming back with back pressure. Last night we didn't see much of that. They coaching staff and players talk about playing fast though the NZ but they need to be able to receive passes cleanly and with speed and support in order to set up their entries and attack. Finally they need to have a physical presence on the forecheck and create some layering at net front. Last night they either didn't not have someone at net front or didn't have the second layer to gather the rebounds that went past the player at the top of the crease.

    Finally a challenge has to go out to the leadership group and the best players on this team. If you want to be considered a legitimate first line, receive the accolades of being Hober Baker candidate and some of the best forwards and defencemen in the league then you have to show up when the games mean the most. It is easy to
    score goals and put up points against teams that are in last place, ranked 50th in the nation and when the score gets run up in your favour. It is another thing to be the best and impose your will when the games mean the most and championships are on the line. You can't be a minus player and be a non-factor in these type of games.

    This will be the challenge individually and we will see if Lowell truly has the mindset and determination to play with the identity that highlights their strengths. No need to panic as I believe and hope we will see a different team tonight with a different outcome.
    As usual, a very detailed and informative analysis. Thank you for your efforts!
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

    Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

    Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

  9. #209
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Boy, didn't know UNH fans were so sensitive and thinskinned. Guess all that "fire Umile" stuff is part of the plan the team has executed to a fault, same with all the fans we don't see anymore who used to pack Whittemore and travelled all over the place to away games. Say "hi" to the UNH Seal Lady from all the UML fans if you see her.
    I suppose I should have inserted the smiley face? Seal lady?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  10. #210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,746

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I suppose I should have inserted the smiley face? Seal lady?
    LOL! With Patronick not posting as much lately, someone has to fuel flames.

    Seal Lady is a nickname Lowell fans have for a UNH fan that going back to the 1990s, several have encountered at Durham. UMLFan and others could expand about their experiences with her if anyone is so inclined.
    Last edited by riverchief1; 03-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

    Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

    Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

  11. #211
    Is this the year?
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    3,816

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Seal Lady was (is?) a fairly antagonistic regular fan at the Whit. Took delight in dissing the opposing fans rather than just cheering for her team's success or bemoaning the downsides. I always thought she was pretty classless, a stark contrast to the vast majority of the home crowd when I went up there. I've generally enjoyed my visits there with many fans offering friendly greetings.
    Gary

    www.umlhockey.com
    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

    182nd member to 2,000 posts
    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

  12. #212
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,277

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Go-UML View Post
    Seal Lady was (is?) a fairly antagonistic regular fan at the Whit. Took delight in dissing the opposing fans rather than just cheering for her team's success or bemoaning the downsides. I always thought she was pretty classless, a stark contrast to the vast majority of the home crowd when I went up there. I've generally enjoyed my visits there with many fans offering friendly greetings.
    Why Seal Lady? Did she wear a fur coat? Disparage UML by making seal-like sounds, motions or balancing a ball on her nose?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  13. #213
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Go-UML View Post
    Seal Lady was (is?) a fairly antagonistic regular fan at the Whit. Took delight in dissing the opposing fans rather than just cheering for her team's success or bemoaning the downsides. I always thought she was pretty classless, a stark contrast to the vast majority of the home crowd when I went up there. I've generally enjoyed my visits there with many fans offering friendly greetings.
    Agreed. We saw her at Durham in January and she was at Tsongas last year. Still her old, fun loving self.

  14. #214
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,831

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    I hope that discipline show was on purpose

    Otherwise, there's a lot to be worked on and very little time left to do it.... they can't be letting anger and emotions take over if they want to take home hardware.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  15. #215
    Also known as the Southern Dandaaay
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    I hope that discipline show was on purpose

    Otherwise, there's a lot to be worked on and very little time left to do it.... they can't be letting anger and emotions take over if they want to take home hardware.
    The refs were straight up trash tonight. Lowell was getting called for the same crap UNH was getting away with.

    Lowell outplayed UNH for the second night in a row, except tonight Wall didn't put them behind the 8 ball in the first period. If not for an absolutely ridiculous decision by two Lowell penalty killers to jump up into the offensive zone and completely ignore their defensive responsibilities coupled with a just as ridiculous decision by the first two penalty killers to pass to the trailer on a 2-on-1 and miss horribly that game is a shut out. I would really appreciate it if Lowell wouldn't commit a horrific turnover that leads to a goal in game three, two gimmes is enough.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

  16. #216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Good outcome last night as Lowell's compete level was much better and they played with much more pace to their game and as 5 man units. I really like the fact that they had some grit to their game and played with some physicality. Even though this team is not designed or has the make-up to wear teams out with their physical play , they are a much better team who they finish checks and win battles on the walls and tough areas of the ice. I agree that they need to be more disciplined as the penalties last night could have been a difference against a team with a more potent power play. Their PK last night was very good.

    In that regard, Lowell needs to get their power play going. The break has certainly impacted the timing. The fact that there are no right-handed shots on either of the first 2 units really affects the options they have and the points of attack. Teams have now viewed enough film on Lowell now to defend against this. The second unit has become very predictable in their attack while the first unit has enough skill to create different options but needs to make quicker decisions and more simple plays in succession as opposed to always looking for the text book play. The PP has been a big part of this team's offence and will need to get on track very soon if they are going to have continued success.

    You work hard all year to get home ice advantage. This plus Lowell's depth should give them the edge in today's deciding game. A strong start, good specialty teams, making good, smart decisions and recognizing when to make simple plays will be important factors in a Lowell victory today.

  17. #217
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    109

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    My boy cox at game rooting for unh what a foney

  18. #218
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefs11 View Post
    My boy cox at game rooting for unh what a foney
    Go away please. I crap on the NU and bu trolls, I'd really prefer to not have to deal with your idiocy too

  19. #219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,562

    Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago pt 2

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefs11 View Post
    My boy cox at game rooting for unh what a foney
    First of all, I don't root for anyone in the press box. Secondly, I shouldn't even reply, but here's my tweet...really seems to be that I'm rooting for the Wildcats:


  20. #220
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    Go away please. I crap on the NU and bu trolls, I'd really prefer to not have to deal with your idiocy too
    This x 1000. Where does Cox even infer he's rooting for UNH?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •