Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
    Uh...no...of the two, tortuous/torturous, I picked the one that I wanted...had it been even worse than it was, then a third option - tortious - was available...
    The tortuous structure created a torturous sentence. My two cents.

Gr8Sk8M8: I would still like to know the screen name(s) that you used during the past few years. Was Hokydad one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
      The tortuous structure created a torturous sentence. My two cents.

Gr8Sk8M8: I would still like to know the screen name(s) that you used during the past few years. Was Hokydad one of them?
      He'll reveal it once we see Trump's tax returns.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
        He'll reveal it once we see Trump's tax returns.
        Great! Now I have two thrills to look forward to. Three if you count a Beanpot championship.

Comment

Article on Adam Gaudette.
          http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey...pping-pro-plan

Comment

Happy to see that it sounds like the player and the canucks think he should be back next year

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
              Actual hockey content instead of whatever is happening to the board:

The Case for Zach Aston-Reese winning the Hobey Baker Award. Comparisons to Vecchione and Kelleher.
              http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...yler-kelleher/
              I'm sure I could make quite a case for Kelleher - most notably his solo performance when compared to ZAR (two high scoring line-mates) and Vecchione (Foo) - but I'm afraid it's Vecchione's award to lose. His playing on the most competitive team (by far) of the three will be the difference. The other two really needed to outdistance him in point total to win the award, IMO...

Instead we're all left to ponder - what if Vecchione had kept his commitment to UNH and Poturalski had stayed for his junior year. What if indeed...
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I'm sure I could make quite a case for Kelleher - most notably his solo performance when compared to ZAR (two high scoring line-mates) and Vecchione (Foo) - but I'm afraid it's Vecchione's award to lose. His playing on the most competitive team (by far) of the three will be the difference. The other two really needed to outdistance him in point total to win the award, IMO...

Instead we're all left to ponder - what if Vecchione had kept his commitment to UNH and Poturalski had stayed for his junior year. What if indeed...
                Your last comment keeps me up at night.... 😞
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

What we are actually left to wonder: If but for a couple of key saves, ZAR has it sown up by mid-season...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I would be very interested to hear your case for Kelleher if you wanted to make one. Also Sikura and Gaudette are not on the same line as ZAR- ZAR lines up with the Stevens brothers (when they are healthy) and a rotating third forward that totaled 16 points all season. The only times ZAR/Gaudette/Sikura are on the same line is powerplay. Foo and Vecchione, on the other hand, do play on the same line AFAIK.

The bolded part of your claim is my least favorite part of the Hobey candidacy conversation (not meant to target you, just the phrasing which is used frequently, especially to knock ZAR/Kelleher). Team record/performance is in no way part of the Hobey criteria. The criteria are:

1. Strength of character, on and off the ice
                    2. Contribution to the integrity of the team and outstanding skills in all phases of the game
                    3. Scholastic achievement and sportsmanship
                    4. Compliance with all NCAA rules, including being a full-time student in an accredited college or university and completing 50 percent or more of the season

Obviously all three of these players have fulfilled #4, and to different degrees #2 (I'd argue ZAR most completely out of all three, obviously). For #1, Vecchione is a two-year captain, ZAR is a two year assistant captain, Kelleher is an assistant captain this year, I do not remember if he was last year- so I imagine their "strength of character" is pretty good, not knowing anything else about them regarding off-ice curriculars. Which leaves scholastic achievement, which I have no insight to other than All-Academic teams, which Vecchione had last year and the other two did not.

Maybe that all academic team is enough to push Vecchione over the edge, and while "quality of competition" is not a criteria either like I claim ZAR's dominance in in my blog post, but it's definitely easier to show "outstanding skills" against easiaer competition.
                    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

New recruit Chase Bradley: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...h-aston-reese/
                      "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                        Nice article but, man, 15 year olds verbally committing to college...has anyone ever done any stats on how these commitments eventually pan out?

Comment

I would be very interested to hear your case for Kelleher if you wanted to make one.
                          As would I and, afaic, it would be Kelleher over Charlie Williams and not over either ZAR or Vecchione...

Comment

I would be very interested to hear your case for Kelleher if you wanted to make one. Also Sikura and Gaudette are not on the same line as ZAR- ZAR lines up with the Stevens brothers (when they are healthy) and a rotating third forward that totaled 16 points all season. The only times ZAR/Gaudette/Sikura are on the same line is powerplay. Foo and Vecchione, on the other hand, do play on the same line AFAIK.

The bolded part of your claim is my least favorite part of the Hobey candidacy conversation (not meant to target you, just the phrasing which is used frequently, especially to knock ZAR/Kelleher). Team record/performance is in no way part of the Hobey criteria. The criteria are:

1. Strength of character, on and off the ice
                            2. Contribution to the integrity of the team and outstanding skills in all phases of the game
                            3. Scholastic achievement and sportsmanship
                            4. Compliance with all NCAA rules, including being a full-time student in an accredited college or university and completing 50 percent or more of the season

Obviously all three of these players have fulfilled #4, and to different degrees #2 (I'd argue ZAR most completely out of all three, obviously). For #1, Vecchione is a two-year captain, ZAR is a two year assistant captain, Kelleher is an assistant captain this year, I do not remember if he was last year- so I imagine their "strength of character" is pretty good, not knowing anything else about them regarding off-ice curriculars. Which leaves scholastic achievement, which I have no insight to other than All-Academic teams, which Vecchione had last year and the other two did not.

Maybe that all academic team is enough to push Vecchione over the edge, and while "quality of competition" is not a criteria either like I claim ZAR's dominance in in my blog post, but it's definitely easier to show "outstanding skills" against easiaer competition.
                            Kelleher is not an assistant Captain. UNH went with just one Captain for this season (Matias Cleland as you all know).
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Kelleher is not an assistant Captain. UNH went with just one Captain for this season (Matias Cleland as you all know).
                              My apologies. I thought I remembered seeing an A on his jersey when we played UNH
                              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

My apologies. I thought I remembered seeing an A on his jersey when we played UNH
                                Hey it's all good...he would've been my choice for the A if we went with one. Wouldn't be surprised if UNH went with that model (Capt, 2 'A's) next season.

ps good luck this weekend...should be a decent series!
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X