Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
    nice. first look @ new season in approx 3 weeks..
    Go Huskies
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

According to a post on gonu.com, Zach Aston Reese is among the nominees for Top College Athlete in the Boston Globe's annual knockoff of the ESPN Espys, which they call the "Globies." Self-serving as it may be, let's remember that Zach pretty much got screwed out of the Hobey Baker Award last Spring because of regional college hockey politics so it would be great if he could at least be recognized in Boston.

Other nominees are Mike Vecchione (Union), Joe Gambardella (UML), a women's hockey/lacrosse player from BC...and Northeastern hoops' TJ Williams.

Here's the link: http://globies.bostonglobe.com/poll/?p1=Globies_NavBox So spread the word. Vote early and often!!
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        You guys needed some help back in 2002, indeed
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

No chatter about the JM extension? We know he can recruit and having that stability should only help that going forward. I'm the first to admit he's gotten much better as an in-game coach, those first few years it was hard to watch, but he's become mediocre in-game. I think Keefe has helped a lot with that. My biggest question is still his ability to coach defense, but it was hard to truly judge that last year with what we had in net. With some talented young D and what is hopefully a star goalie, we'll see if that Goals Allowed number comes way down this year. Overall, while I still have some questions and issues with JM, Jim Madigan is a good man, who loves Northeastern and is extremely determined on building a perennial contender on Huntington Ave. Ready to get this season going, Let's go Huskies!
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
            No chatter about the JM extension? We know he can recruit and having that stability should only help that going forward. I'm the first to admit he's gotten much better as an in-game coach, those first few years it was hard to watch, but he's become mediocre in-game. I think Keefe has helped a lot with that. My biggest question is still his ability to coach defense, but it was hard to truly judge that last year with what we had in net. With some talented young D and what is hopefully a star goalie, we'll see if that Goals Allowed number comes way down this year. Overall, while I still have some questions and issues with JM, Jim Madigan is a good man, who loves Northeastern and is extremely determined on building a perennial contender on Huntington Ave. Ready to get this season going, Let's go Huskies!
            JM, JK and JS work like demons (like dogs is so trite, in this case) and have climbed quite a long way on the learning curve. If the team can survive the 10/20-11/18 gauntlet, we will have solid evidence that they are on the right path.

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
              JM, JK and JS work like demons (like dogs is so trite, in this case) and have climbed quite a long way on the learning curve. If the team can survive the 10/20-11/18 gauntlet, we will have solid evidence that they are on the right path.
              That learning curve.. trending the right way.
              Hopefully bodes well for NU Hockey. Go Huskies
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

A couple of factors impress me:

--He's been able to land blue chip recruits without prostituting himself to the one-and-dones.
                --Current players don't seem anxious to jump ship.
                --Alumni like Manson and Benning are making an impact; ZAR was a finalist for last year's Hobey.

Things like that wouldn't be happening if the coaching staff didn't know what it was doing.

Comment

It's hard to overlook the fact that he's the first coach who's delivered a championship trophy of any sort (I'm not counting Christmas tournaments) here in a very long time. As others have said, the program is trending upward, the quality of recruits is getting better (much better than when I was in school), and guys are buying into it and staying. At some point all that potential gets people anxious with higher expectations but for now, it feels like the program is in good hands and moving in the right direction.
                  Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    A couple of factors impress me:

--He's been able to land blue chip recruits without prostituting himself to the one-and-dones.
                    --Current players don't seem anxious to jump ship.
                    --Alumni like Manson and Benning are making an impact; ZAR was a finalist for last year's Hobey.

Things like that wouldn't be happening if the coaching staff didn't know what it was doing.
                    I thought that this incoming class was not that strong. I know that the goalie is supposed to be good, and then they have Solo who I think developed last season into something. But can you guys name a few of these blue chips that are coming in. I am not that informed anymore and I am curious to see how to be on the lookout for in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
                      I thought that this incoming class was not that strong. I know that the goalie is supposed to be good, and then they have Solo who I think developed last season into something. But can you guys name a few of these blue chips that are coming in. I am not that informed anymore and I am curious to see how to be on the lookout for in the future.
                      The coaches have recruited a raft of talented players, who, they believe, will fit their style of play and will perform well together., The class entering in the fall of 2020 is already loaded. In the next two years we have forwards like Tyler Madden and Robbie Griffin as well as defensemen like Jordan Harris and Jeremy Bucheler who are legitimate "blue chippers" as well as several others who are very well regarded.
                      Not every recruit will lead his league in scoring, but we're are getting more of the "right" players, who would have gone elsewhere just a few years ago.

Comment

I am a fan of this extension. Fans of other teams may bash him, but no one can deny that Coach Madigan bleeds the black and red of Northeastern and is willing to put all possible resources and efforts into creating and leading a successful program. He brought the HEA championship already, and has had teams either in the NCAA tournament or on the cusp of it for 3, maybe 4 straight seasons (can't remember off the top of my head how we fared the year before Witt). When is the last time a coach did that at this school? He has turned the program around and has the them in a position where year-in-year-out they are considered in the top half, sometimes higher, of Hockey East. What we now need to see from him is results on that year-in-year-out basis- no more first half collapses leading to second half surges, no more playing down to opponents' levels that we should beat handily. Time for Coach to keep the foot on the gas and take this team to a level where they are seen as NCAA tournaments contenders every season.

As to blue chip prospects, we have it covered pretty well (I think) at the blog website, if you want to take a look. For this season, we have Primeau and Solow who should both be 3-4 year contributors. In the upcoming seasons, players such as Jeremie Bucheler (defenseman), Aidan McDonough (F), Tyler Madden (F), Ross Mitton (F), Jordan Harris (F), Brandon Chabrier (D), Jayden Struble (D), Robby Griffin (F), Stanley Cooley (F), Chase Bradley (F), and Sam Colangelo (F) are all considered players either in the top tier of their age groups or near that top tier. Many of these names will end up being selected in the NHL draft, some of them even earlier than what we are generally accustomed to seeing NU players get drafted at. These are players that will be enrolling over the next few seasons, so the pipeline is stockpiled well for the future (reinforced by this extension).
                        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

I know preseason polls aren't worth the keys they are typed on but most, if not all, of the hockey writers that I follow/respect have us in the 4-5 range in Hockey East. Haven't seen anyone put us at 3 or higher, and maybe one person had us at 6 with goaltending and defense questions.

On the Hockey Goes to College podcast this week (featuring Ryan Lambert of Yahoo Sports and Joe Meloni of CHN), they spent ~10 minutes on NU. I'll link it below and recommend it. Lambert especially was very praising of the team, the process Madigan has been building, and the future. Paraphrasing, they said "NU with their offense plus national average goaltending could contend for the Frozen Four"

https://soundcloud.com/hockeygoes2co...-pt-3-a-lot-of
                          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

For all the pole dancers out there, NU checks in at:

#14 on the USA Hockey/USA Today national poll
                            #20 on the uscho.com national poll
                            #9 on the John Buccigross (ESPN) national poll

Within HEA, the media poll has NU at #4. Coaches' poll due out tomorrow (9/26)
                            Last edited by Split-N; 09-25-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              For all the pole dancers out there, NU checks in at:

#14 on the USA Hockey national poll
                              #20 on the uscho.com national poll
                              #9 on the John Buccigross (ESPN) poll

Within HEA, the media poll has NU at #4. Coaches' poll due out tomorrow (9/26)
                              I like going into the season with high expectations. That's part of the growth of a team into a bigger and bigger player each year. Time for Madigan to actually live up to the expectations
                              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                                I know preseason polls aren't worth the keys they are typed on but most, if not all, of the hockey writers that I follow/respect have us in the 4-5 range in Hockey East...[/url]
                                The writers must have traded notes with the coaches:

1. Boston University (2) 90
                                2. UMass Lowell (5) 88
                                3. Providence (2) 83
                                4. Boston College (1) 75
                                5. Northeastern (1) 72
                                6. Vermont 54
                                7. UConn 39
                                8. New Hampshire 37
                                9. Merrimack 29
                                10.(tie)Maine 19
                                10.(tie)Massachusetts 19

Comment

Working...
                                X