Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    I'm assuming JM didn't if you didn't include it, but did he name captains? Also, is it a surprise that Hawkins won't be eligible until the 2nd half of the season since he didn't play a game last season? Is there anyone to blame (other than the NCAA) for the fact Pec and Hawkins haven't been eligible to play immediately after sitting out a year?
    Captains were announced at the banquet in April. Nolan Stevens is the captain, assistant captains are Adam Gaudette, Dylan Sikura, and Garret Cockerill.

Hawkins had enrolled into BGSU, which by the NCAA rules would cause him to be eligible/a player for that semester, which is why he must wait half a season to play here. Or at least that is how I understand it. It's stupid, but that's the NCAA for ya.

Pecararo's eligibility issues stem from a class taken while in the USHL that he did poorly in, and the professor allegedly was super stubborn and would not offer him the opportunity to work to change the grade. Failure to have a satisfactory grade caused him to be ineligible for NU last season. Why he could not make that credit up while at NU I do not know. HHound, if he sees this, may have some input on this better than I do.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Can't believe I forgot captains had already been announced. Hockey needs to get back already!
      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Recruiting class if official and piblished on GoNU.com. Outside of Primeau and Solow, there is a lot of depth being added. I expect Goldstei, Schultz, and Hampton to develop into solid bottom 6 players here. Solow should be Top 6 immediately, and Primeau may split early in the year with Ruck, as is the norm with Madigan, but I think should get the reigns by November

http://www.gonu.com/news/2017/6/21/m...men-class.aspx
        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Primeau drafted 7th round, 199 overall. Solow undrafted in a shocker. http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...ns-zach-solow/

Honestly, as long as Primeau was drafted, that's a good sign for NU. Undrafted goalies obviously can sign whenever they want, so one or two good years may have seen an early departure for us by Primeau. Instead, he goes to a team with plenty of goalie depth, including one other Hockey East goalie, so they will not rush him. I feel comfortable thinking we will have at least three seasons, if not four, of Primeau in net.

Solow was more surprising, just given how well USHL numbers tend to translate to NCAA and how highly regarded the league is. See blog for more commentary, but a couple solid years out of the gate will have to make us worry about an early Solow departure, a la Ludwig Karlsson. I still expect Solow to be around for a while, if he was drafted we'd be preparing for three seasons of him before thinking he'd leave, so I still hold that true today.
          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

So we got some good players coming in but how would people rate this recruiting class?
            These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

• is Pecararo still on.. tough what happened with him last season.. hopefully behind him.. or not?
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Most people have been considering the "class" just the freshmen, which could be adequately described as "Solow, Primeau, and depth guys." Hampton, Goldstein, and Schultz all have potential to contribute but calling them fourth line to fringe bottom six guys is probably as high as expectations should go. Unfortunately (it's not really all that unfortunate) we lost a lot of our bottom six to graduation, so some of those guys are probably going to wind up on the third line, which scares me immensely unless Griffin and Jozefek manage to step up and form a competent third line again.

However when you include Pecararo, who appears to finally have made himself academically eligible, and Brandon Hawkins, who will be eligible only for the second semester, we have 2.5 strong forwards and a (formerly?) highly regarded goaltender coming in, with all six defensemen from last year's team returning. There's certainly reason to be positive, despite losing two immensely important players in John and Zach. Even if we score 10 less goals this year, if we allow 20 less from some combination of added blue line experience/new goaltending/current goaltending remembering how to stop a puck, we should be in good shape.
                Last edited by TheRevengeance; 07-05-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  Most people have been considering the "class" just the freshmen, which could be adequately described as "Solow, Primeau, and depth guys." Hampton, Goldstein, and Schultz all have potential to contribute but calling them fourth line to fringe bottom six guys is probably as high as expectations should go. Unfortunately (it's not really all that unfortunate) we lost a lot of our bottom six to graduation, so some of those guys are probably going to wind up on the third line, which scares me immensely unless Griffin and Jozefek manage to step up and form a competent third line again.

However when you include Pecararo, who appears to finally have made himself academically eligible, and Brandon Hawkins, who will be eligible only for the second semester, we have 2.5 strong forwards and a (formerly?) highly regarded goaltender coming in, with all six defensemen from last year's team returning. There's certainly reason to be positive, despite losing two immensely important players in John and Zach. Even if we score 10 less goals this year, if we allow 20 less from some combination of added blue line experience/new goaltending/current goaltending remembering how to stop a puck, we should be in good shape.
                  Good post. I agree with much of what you said. However, these freshman are just that - freshmen. They will develop. ZAR and Nolan played on the lower lines as frosh. Neither set the world on fire. We should start the season with 16 active forwards. There will be two very potent lines if Solow adjusts quickly. For the "bottom" two lines: Jozefek is healthy and should contribute. If Griffin matures, he could be a huge help. The potential is there. John Picking appeared to be on the verge of contributing when he broke his ankle at UConn. Schule has been a scorer in juniors and can chip in around the net. His game has not really be notable for anything in particular and has plenty of room for improvement.

In the freshmen class, my sleepers are Goldstein, who is said to be a blur, and really blossomed in juniors this year. He may have special chemistry with his buddy Felipe, who he has played with since he was a wee lad. He got ZAR's #12. Schultz also depends on his speed as there isn't that much of him. He led Lincoln in scoring last year is said to play with a very nasty edge. Sounds like Lerario with real speed. Speaking of Lerario, I have no idea what his role will be. He had every chance to show what he could do - and didn't - last year. He will have to work hard and improve his skating if he wants ice time. He has already surrendered his #13 to Selanne, who is one of the question marks, along with Blackmun, in the class. Usually someone shows up and surprises everyone positively and someone else sometimes does the opposite.

As for Primeau, he was not healthy for a good part of last season. It was something that he kept private. Don't ask why I know this, I just do. Additionally, his team wasn't particularly strong on D early in the year when he played most, Near the end of the year, his coach went with a European goalie, who would return for this season. The team did not make the playoffs (as it was 5th of 6 teams in it division. He'll get to practice against some pretty good scorers. That should help his progress. I hope. I hope. I hope!

Comment

Kid is still improving.

https://www.google.com/amp/vancouver...-prospects/amp
                    These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                      Kid is still improving.
                      Stronger, faster = better. It will be great to watch him a lot again this season. He may be too good to come back for his senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by scorer View Post
                        Stronger, faster = better. It will be great to watch him a lot again this season. He may be too good to come back for his senior year.
                        If he truly puts in a lot of work on "playing a 200-foot game and be physical and hard to play against" he will be in the NHL. For my money, Nolan is the best player on next year's team, but Gaudette is the most physically talented. He very well might be the most physically talented NU player since I started following the team 11 years ago. Like if you took all the NU players from the last 11 years and did those skills competitions they do at the All-Star Game, my money would be on Gaud to win overall. Would love to watch him do that shooting accuracy competition against KRoy.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

We've seen NU players getting lots of love from publications since development camps have commenced and ended. Adam Gaudette was listed as a star in Vancouver's camp, drawing comparisons/projections to Ryan Kesler. Jeremy Davies' puck handling and skating abilities were lauded by a NJ blog. Nolan Stevens showed off some skill, in particular in the open ice, according to a Blues reporter. Primeau was listed as a possible 7th round steal by Montreal's SBN. However, the most complete analysis I've seen is on Dylan Sikura.

Sikura is reportedly lighting up Hawks camp, they are on Day 3 and he has routinely been among the "most impressive" lists I've seen. Showing flahes of playmaking, finishing, and physical growth, he has impressed most covering the team. It was reported that CHI offered him an ELC at the end of the NU season, but after deliberation Sikura chose to return. He had the chance to jump, like Roy did a few years back, but he chose to come back. That's the kind of loyalty and decsion you don't see too much of this late in the college game. I am expecting big things for #9 this season, in addition to Gaudette.

From a reporter: "The Blackhawks' desire for Sikura to sign early likely only increased in the last few days. He's elevated his position in the system during this week's prospect camp. ..two days into on-ice practices, it's apparent Sikura is by far one of the Blackhawks' premier prospects....he's a better player 1-on-1 than Alex Debrincat. Sikura has burned plenty of teammates with his quickness, puck-handling ability, and finish. According to a source, Sikura's decision to return is "concrete."

Sikura has said he plans to sign with Chicago after his senior season, possibly burning a year of the ELC with some NHL action at the end of the 2018-19 season, similar to what John Hayden did this season.
                          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Jack Williams (Berwick Academy) to NU per Hockey Commitments. Listed for 2020- 21

Congrats to him
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              Jack Williams (Berwick Academy) to NU per Hockey Commitments. Listed for 2020- 21

Congrats to him
                              http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...cademy-hockey/
                              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                                Sikura is reportedly lighting up Hawks camp....
                                Let's hope Stan Bowman doesn't dangle an insane signing bonus
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X