• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Shhhhh! I'm trying to be helpful!

Also, I have no idea if that happened.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
      Alex and I had a Q and A session over Twitter. Very impressed by his responses. http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...s-hockey-east/
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        Alex and I had a Q and A session over Twitter. Very impressed by his responses. http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...s-hockey-east/
        poised indeed. wishing him the best for nxt season & hopefully will see him grow in his endeavors at the U.
        Go Huskies
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Agree. Embarrassing.
          It's a complete disgrace that the school can't be bothered to actively promote ZAR. Frankly, it's unheard of for NU to actually have a legit finalist for Hobey and there is nothing from the school about it. Yeah...they'll point to a few tweets and a story on Gonu.com but realistically, that's essentially just going through the motions to say you did some promotion. What an accomplishment, but it's "radio silence" from the Athletic Dept. No doubt Peter Roby is behind this. God forbid the only actual team that people care about and go to watch is in the spotlight..... Roby must go! Best of Luck Zach!!
          Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
            It's a complete disgrace that the school can't be bothered to actively promote ZAR. Frankly, it's unheard of for NU to actually have a legit finalist for Hobey and there is nothing from the school about it. Yeah...they'll point to a few tweets and a story on Gonu.com but realistically, that's essentially just going through the motions to say you did some promotion. What an accomplishment, but it's "radio silence" from the Athletic Dept. No doubt Peter Roby is behind this. God forbid the only actual team that people care about and go to watch is in the spotlight..... Roby must go! Best of Luck Zach!!
            Actually, it's not unheard of for NU to have a Hobey Hat Trick finalist. Brad Thiessen did it in 2009.

I have been (and remain) a critic of the current athletic administration but, in fairness, the sports information people did much more than what you refer to. I criticized them for getting a late start on promoting ZAR's case but, credit where it's due, once they got out of the blocks, they seemed to do some excellent work that went well beyond a few tweets and a story on gonu.com. This includes working the "back channels" and other behind-the-scenes stuff.

But I'm with you on the larger issues regarding marketing, promotions, the game day experiences, and the fact that Matthews has become more like a mausoleum than the snake pit it was only a few years ago. Many reasons for this that have been discussed ad nauseum both here and over on DHD, some within the AD's control, some beyond it. But for starters, stringing together some consistently successful seasons that include an occasional Beanpot and deep post-season runs, would go a long way toward fixing what's broken.

To this end, I really thought this was the year for NU to build on the momentum gained from the hockey and hoops championships of the last two years but it was not to be, and I can't really point the finger of blame at either of those teams. The simple fact is that presumed mainstream hockey players missed 53 games because of injuries (JStevens - 10; NStevens - 18; Jozefek - 25) while hoops limped through the latter part of the season with only seven serviceable players. I hate to play the injury card but no program can lose that many players for protracted periods without paying a price in the W column. Don't know why but the hockey and hoops gods hated NU this year.
            Last edited by Split-N; 04-01-2017, 03:01 PM.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• ageee, tough breaks on the hockey season this yr, not to mention inconsistent goaltending. (again) Need hot (least decent) goaltending heading into the playoffs.

On the Hobey, i did read an article on both, the Boston Globe & Boston Herald websites mentioning ZAR & NU's Hobey winning chances. Now is up to the powers that be. Would love if we could (can) have a Hobey banner somewhere prominent in Matthews.. sooner, rather than later.
              GO NU HOCKEY
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                Actually, it's not unheard of for NU to have a Hobey Hat Trick finalist. Brad Thiessen did it in 2009.
                I said "A legit finalist". Brad was great at times, but had no chance.
                Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                  This statement is ridiculous. Any player who makes the final three for Hobey is "a legit finalist."
                  Originally posted by owslachief
                  Furthermore, here are the best predictors of particular leagues:

Hockey East (9 points) ... sameoldfury

Comment

Originally posted by sameoldfury View Post
                    This statement is ridiculous. Any player who makes the final three for Hobey is "a legit finalist."
                    Thiessen was a "finalist" in that he finished in the top three in voting. I'd venture to guess the vote totals for Gilroy and Wilson at one-two were in another hemisphere than Thiessen's at three.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      Thiessen was a "finalist" in that he finished in the top three in voting. I'd venture to guess the vote totals for Gilroy and Wilson at one-two were in another hemisphere than Thiessen's at three.
                      Thiessen was in the top 3 Hobey finalists against stiff competition as have others been, in the years since & will be. He was final 3 regardless of what you or I think.
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I'd argue the other contenders going up against Gaudreau in 2014 and against Eichel in 2015 were not exactly 'legit contenders' for that year. Everyone knew who was going to win. Players can deserve to be in the conversation but in years like that, I wouldn't say they'd be legit contenders to win. This year, 5-6 players could stake a claim to the award and have good arguments. Not so in some previous years
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          You may be right, but if so that's ridiculous. Thiessen won HE POTY against the same competition. I still maintain 8 years layer that Gilroy should have come in 3rd. My ballot would have been Wilson, Thiessen, Gilroy. Of course, as you can see from my username, I'm a tad biased.
                          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                            I'd argue the other contenders going up against Gaudreau in 2014 and against Eichel in 2015 were not exactly 'legit contenders' for that year. Everyone knew who was going to win.
                            I agree on Gaudereau, not as much with Eichel. There was no doubt he was the top player in the country and had a gray season, but as a freshman with competition from an upperclassman like Vesey, I wasn't so sure. One could argue that Kyle Connor's season last year was very similar to Eichel's, but Vesey won it (much to my surprise).
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky Victory! View Post
                              Originally posted by sameoldfury View Post
                              Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              I guess I'm having a problem with the way the term "legit" is being thrown around. SameOldFury has it nailed: To say that anyone who makes the final three isn't "legit" is absurd on its face, regardless of whether or not there is a clear front-runner, and does the players and our game a disservice. Same for trying to pontificate on the order of finish without any supporting evidence eight years after the fact. Just makes my head spin.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Huskies placed 6 skaters on the SBN College Hockey Top Pro Prospects list. 2nd most in Hockey East.

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...adam-gaudette/
                                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Working...
                                X