Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 Part II: Postseason Edition

UConn defenseman David Drake talks about shutting down Northeastern's defense here:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...delphia-flyers
    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
      UConn defenseman David Drake talks about shutting down Northeastern's defense here:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...delphia-flyers

These guys swept UNH.. i bet we see a different UConn tonight.

HC better have team prepared. Go NU!
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        PM me/pass along your email, send it in a rep comment if messaging is down, I have a ticket for the game you can have, as long as you do a nice big GO NU chant
        Gracis, check rep.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Gracis, check rep.
          Sent! Enjoy.
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Gracis, check rep.
            cool.

now we'll be looking for a fan in a Whaler jersey crazily cheering on NU ..while dumbfounding the CT folks..
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

A second piece on ZAR, this one via SI.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/03/03/zac...agent-scouting
              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                A second piece on ZAR, this one via SI.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/03/03/zac...agent-scouting
                All the media attention.. good for him. Long as he stays grounded.. which (by his comments), looks like he is.

Now he (and team), better get their Wheaties this wknd.
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                  Now he (and team), better get their Wheaties this wknd.
                  ..and especially Ruck.
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                    My issue with Kelleher is actually a fairly simple one and is one that Dan failed to mention: He is a half ice player. The award is not about who a player is surrounded with; it's about the player. I won't challenge the legitimacy of Kelleher but I'd put both ZAR and Vecchione well above him and the third spot (not that I've created an order here) should go to Charlie Williams - who is as legit as the other two.

If being surrounded with *good* players reduces the *star* quality of another: Should Eichel and Gaudreau give theirs back? ?

Dan should also look at the actual # games in which ZAR and Sikura were on the same full strength line...out of 34 it was less than 5...he was more likely on a line with Schule or Filipe than Sikura.
                    First of all, here is the actual (per Collegehockeystats.com) breakdown for ZAR's line mates this season. As ScottK pointed out, he played with Sikura more than 25% of the time (9 times). He also played QUITE a bit with one or both of the Stevens brothers. And as noted by NU fans above he has played quite a bit with NU's other top-scorers on the PP...

J. Stevens/N. Stevens – IIIII III
                    J. Stevens/Schule – IIIII I
                    Sikura/Schule – IIII
                    J. Stevens/Fillipe – IIII
                    J. Stevens/Sikura – III
                    N. Stevens/Fillipe – II
                    Sikura/Gaudette – I
                    Sikura/Fillipe – I
                    N. Stevens/Griffin – I
                    N. Stevens/Rosenthal – I
                    N. Stevens/Picking – I
                    Fillipe/Griffin – I
                    Collier/Schule – I

21 - J. Stevens
                    13 - N. Stevens
                    11 - Schule
                    9 - Sikura
                    8 - Fillipe
                    2 - Griffin
                    1 – Rosenthal, Picking, Collier, Gaudette

----

Secondly, you missed my point entirely. I am not trying to take ANYTHING away from ZAR. I am simply attempting to make other's aware of Tyler Kelleher's LACK of talented teammates. It is clear from the numbers in my post above that he is playing with lesser line mates than any of the other top Hobey Forwards, yet he is still just as productive. Here's another nugget, illustrating exactly how impactful playing with Kelleher has been on his line mates (and why he is more than a simple playmaker).

If Jason Salvaggio scores twice this weekend at MC, he will have 23 goals, matching his goal scoring total over the LAST FOUR seasons - including 20 goals in two years with the Indiana Ice and 3 in two seasons at UNH. Kelleher is directly responsible for A LOT more than his own 22 goals (which rank him fifth in the country, as is).

McNicholas is just OK, Salvaggio is a north-south grinder with a decent shot who is suddenly one of the top-goal scorers in HE, while Grasso, BVR and Blackburn are inexperienced freshmen. Kelleher is carrying this offense on his own. Unfortunately, he is unlikely to get the credit he deserves until next season when UNH's offense falls off quite a bit. TK would play on the top-line for any team in the country, while most likely leading that team in scoring. If he played at DU, UMD or Minnesota - with more talented line-mates - he'd have 75+ points and be a Hobey Baker lock...

Of course, Gaudreau and Eichel are worthy Hobey winners - but they absolutely benefited from playing on loaded teams and with talented players. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive. Again, the point was not that ZAR isn't deserving because he played with other very good players. The point is TK simply does not have that luxury and has still produced as much as any forward in the country this season.

----

If he played at Union, he'd be plus 20-25 just like Vecchione. The knock on Kelleher's defense is a lazy reflection of his size and UNH's poor team defense. Again, he is not a stalwart one on one - but his puck retrieval in his own zone, breakout ability, puck possession and effort make him a far better two-way player than he is ever given credit for. He won't contain elite forwards one on one - but that is not his job as a first-line winger at UNH. What he will do is limit opponents goal-scoring opportunities with his overall game. He plays big minutes on the PK and is always out on the ice in big situations. Blaming or stereotyping him, based on the incredibly shaky defensive group and the complete sieve playing behind him is ignoring reality. Unfortunately, people who don't watch him play will always fall back on the preconceived notions they wish to be true.

If Kelleher played on the same teams as Gaudreau/Eichel/Vecchione - no one would worry about or question his defense, because the team's overall numbers would be fantastic. Those teams were loaded with talent, including elite level defensemen and goaltending. Not one voter even considered Gaudreau's size or ability to match up with opposing forwards. The reason they didn't? Because he played with four defensemen and a goalie who will all - if they haven't already - see the NHL on a BC team that ALWAYS had the puck.

You're opinion of Kelleher only strengthens the idea that team success (in the current season and over the course of a players career) are critical to a voter's opinions and decision making. Which is why were both likely to be disappointed. Because UNH is losing and plays terrible team defense, Kelleher remains an outside shot. If he played on a winner - he'd be the favorite and UNH would be finishing behind ME and UM as perhaps the worst team in NCAA hockey...
                    Last edited by Dan; 03-03-2017, 01:16 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

I think there's something to be said for the fact that the leading scorer in the NCAA has played with 13 different line combinations in 34 games this season, including Collier, Schule (11 times! even though Schule has been a healthy scratch for a good 15 games this year), Picking, and Rosenthal (who are both scratched far more than they play). He might not be our only line, but there was a while where he wasn't exactly playing with the best Northeastern has to offer.

Comment

Opinions on UConn and this weekend's series?
                        Hobart Statesmen
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        Boston College Eagles
                        Providence College Friars

#EasternBias is the only way

Jack O'Callahan: "You know what Coxy let me ask you a question. Why'd you wanna play college hockey?"
                        Cox: "Isn't it obvious? For the girls."

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Trev View Post
                          Opinions on UConn and this weekend's series?
                          scroll back/ up a page. NUHusky did a nice write up.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                            scroll back/ up a page. NUHusky did a nice write up.
                            It was another blogger but thanks for the plug.

Hockey East stream is not loading DO NOT BUY IT. The DogHouse is streaming the game via Instagram if you want to watch. Otherwise Rudnick has the call on Huskies radio
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

I finally got it to load using Chrome (which is not my usual browser).
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post

Hockey East stream is not loading DO NOT BUY IT.
                                Mine is working fine. Just saying. But I wish I HADN'T spent the money. This is pathetic. NONE of the losing teams have even SCORED A GOAL yet. And two of the games are already over. Joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X