Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

No longer limited to Slick Willie. http://nypost.com/2017/04/10/alabama...ied-to-affair/

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I want to feel bad but I dont. The voters wanted this and they got it. It isnt like Republicans are secretive about this...they hate the minimum wage and would eliminate completely if they could. The Idiots Out Walking Around (I.O.W.A.) gave them complete control and now they must deal with the consequences.
      It's amazing. And what's even more amazing is that SNL picked on those people on the cold open last Saturday and they're the ones being called tone deaf this week. I'm to the point where I don't care if another Democrat gets elected or not as long as stupid can be called stupid.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        I want to feel bad but I dont. The voters wanted this and they got it. It isnt like Republicans are secretive about this...they hate the minimum wage and would eliminate completely if they could. The Idiots Out Walking Around (I.O.W.A.) gave them complete control and now they must deal with the consequences.
        And yet the globalists are the ones pushing for the prison industrial complex, illegal amnesty, and other regulations that are centered around what is effectively slave labor...

Comment

Now this is a straight out Bernie proposal, passed into law, by....Andrew Cuomo???

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/the-a...r-college.html
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Now this is a straight out Bernie proposal, passed into law, by....Andrew Cuomo???

Wow. An actual new idea executed by a Government in the United States. Mark your calendars, folks.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Wow. An actual new idea executed by a Government in the United States. Mark your calendars, folks.
              Now I know I'm unfairly accused of being a little obnoxious out here, but I'm genuinely curious (as opposed to just trying to drive Kep nuts ) where the arch libs are on Cuomo for 2020. Love him or hate him, but he has passed through his legislature with Gooper votes 1) legalizing gay marriage, and 2) free college tuition for residents at state universities. Those are pretty liberal victories.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

My favorite part of the article:
                "I don't know how much I like feeling confined, even to staying in the state for four more years," said Bobby Rickard, an 18-year-old freshman from Brewster who has not yet decided his major. "I don't know what life will have for me."
                Spoken like someone who either shouldn't be attending college or doesn't understand what a loan is or the weight it places on a person.

I imagine if you had asked someone who is five years out of college with student loans the same question, you'd get a vastly different answer.

ETA: The program as described in the article seems like a really good idea. Free education but you have to pay it back by working in-state. That seems perfectly reasonable.

The critiques provided in the article by the various people interviewed are fairly hollow.
                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-11-2017, 12:03 PM.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Ah, but there's some fine print.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/...e-college-plan
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

None of that fine print seems unreasonable. I wish it were prorated for if you stay in the state for less time. Something progressive like
                    Year 1: 10% forgiven
                    Year 2: 25% forgiven
                    Year 3: 50% forgiven
                    Year 4: 100% forgiven

It is also reasonable that you should have to at least apply for other federal scholarships and grants.

Attending full time should be a requirement. No problem there. Finishing on time doesn't seem too bad as long as the penalty for going over isn't that you have to pay back 100%. If you go over, you are now responsible for the remainder of the years of tuition. That's still significantly better than being responsible for all five years of tuition.

Not paying for room and board is a little unfortunate. But how else would you prevent someone from going to a cheap college but living in a supremely nice apartment? Again, still better than paying for four years of everything. It also makes sense to make you have some stake in it. It makes you consider budgetary limits and living expenses.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      None of that fine print seems unreasonable. I wish it were prorated for if you stay in the state for less time. Something progressive like

It is also reasonable that you should have to at least apply for other federal scholarships and grants.

Attending full time should be a requirement. No problem there. Finishing on time doesn't seem too bad as long as the penalty for going over isn't that you have to pay back 100%. If you go over, you are now responsible for the remainder of the years of tuition. That's still significantly better than being responsible for all five years of tuition.

Not paying for room and board is a little unfortunate. But how else would you prevent someone from going to a cheap college but living in a supremely nice apartment? Again, still better than paying for four years of everything. It also makes sense to make you have some stake in it. It makes you consider budgetary limits and living expenses.
                      Given the cost.of room and board these days, if I could live off campus, I would.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                        I have zero issue with any of that fine print.

Rover,

While Cuomo is a name to consider I would say no to him if the election were next year.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I'm not sure. Part of the problem is that the lowest income people can't go to school full-time because they still need money for other expenses and they don't have parental resources for that. A large number of people get their degrees over a long, disjointed amount of time, using work credit where possible.

I understand the motivation, but it may work against those who need the most help.

The ultimate solution for all these issues, education, health, child care, is guaranteed basic income. Give people a living income to spend however.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 04-12-2017, 08:25 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What about encouraging trade schools and apprenticeships? We will always need plumbers, mechanics, electricians, etc.

Some of the trade schools cost just as much as college.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              What about encouraging trade schools and apprenticeships? We will always need plumbers, mechanics, electricians, etc.

Some of the trade schools cost just as much as college.
                              This is definitely part of the solution.

Maybe a start is making the state trade schools and community colleges tuition free. That would direct immediate help to the people in most immediate need. It costs like $20k to go to cosmetology school. That's insane and really counter-productive.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Nation's most incompetent mass (mess) transit agency strikes again!!

http://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/...s-near-tracks/
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X