Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    If staying open on Sunday offers no increase in sales why would it be required to remain competitive with those that make the choice?
    No, it's consistent. Alcohol sales overall stay the same whether alcohol is sold on 6 or 7 days, but if you are closed and I am open I will steal some of your sales.

Now truth be told there would be differences in the distribution of alcohol sales with Sunday either being open or closed. Distributors closer to residences will do better with Sunday open; distributors near places of employment will do better with Sunday closed.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If I still sell the same X Mon - Sat how are you stealing anything?

Comment

If I still sell the same X Mon - Sat how are you stealing anything?
        You won't sell the same amount. The idea of stable sales is that people will buy the same amount of alcohol whether the state is limited to 6 or 7 sales days -- you don't miss out on Sunday sales because nobody is open, so customers have to fuel up more extra on the other days. But if the state has 7 days and those sales are spread over all 7, you will miss out on the Sunday sales.

This isn't complicated, I just am not being clear I guess.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          You won't sell the same amount. The idea of stable sales is that people will buy the same amount of alcohol whether the state is limited to 6 or 7 sales days -- you don't miss out on Sunday sales because nobody is open, so customers have to fuel up more extra on the other days. But if the state has 7 days and those sales are spread over all 7, you will miss out on the Sunday sales.

This isn't complicated, I just am not being clear I guess.
          No, you are being clear.

Aggregate sales won't increase. But some amount of Monday-Saturday sales will shift to Sunday. And if you aren't open on Sunday, someone else will steal those from you. The industry sees no changes, but individual stores may.
          Last edited by unofan; 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Except sales WILL increase. Currently (especially during FB season) on Sunday a certain amount of sales are lost because people go to WI to buy thanks to Blue Laws. Those sales will now shift closer to home.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Except sales WILL increase. Currently (especially during FB season) on Sunday a certain amount of sales are lost because people go to WI to buy thanks to Blue Laws. Those sales will now shift closer to home.
              Yeah, but I really don't think they're all that substantial when you look at the aggregate. Outside of the border towns, who's making those trips?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Except every major population center in the state is next to a border. Save for St. Cloud.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Except every major population center in the state is next to a border. Save for St. Cloud.
                  Still, how far is someone willing to travel for some booze? Would you travel from Ham Lake to Wisconsin for some (insert readily available brand and style) beer that can be purchased from the store located 10 minutes from your house if you're willing to wait until Monday? The vast majority of people will wait until Monday.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Nope. I'd tell my buddy in oakdale to run and grab some booze for the game when he comes over.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I was being intentionally argumentative on that point.

Comment

Your nation's capital subway system.

@JTothDC: Rest easy: the new @wmata trains run on Windows 95 💾 #metro #safetrack @dcmetrosucks https://***********/JTothDC/status/8...936256/photo/1
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Still, how far is someone willing to travel for some booze? Would you travel from Ham Lake to Wisconsin for some (insert readily available brand and style) beer that can be purchased from the store located 10 minutes from your house if you're willing to wait until Monday? The vast majority of people will wait until Monday.
                          I have never seen definitive numbers, but it is not miniscule. Hell I know plenty of people that have done that on more than one occasion.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I was being intentionally argumentative on that point.
                            This should come as a warning on every Cafe post.
                            Cornell University

Comment

They used to fine you for not attending church.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3001499
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                They used to fine you for not attending church.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.3001499
                                At first blush, that would violate the First Amendment. Not voting can be seen as a method of speech, a protest against the current candidates on the ballot. It could also be seen as punishing those who intended to vote but some issue arose that prevented them from making it to their polling location - family emergency, car broke down, meeting a beautiful redheaded woman with large bosoms while getting hammered at the bar just before going to vote, etc..

Comment

Working...
                                X