Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    All libs do. It's conservatives that can't take a joke.
    Really?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Really?
      He said, proving the assertion made.

Comment

• Re: The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        All libs do. It's conservatives that can't take a joke.
        Kep went a little dark for awhile. One time I suggested politely that Sanders might just be a man like the rest of us and he went off on a tirade that would make Andrew Dice Clay blush.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Kep went a little dark for awhile. One time I suggested politely that Sanders might just be a man like the rest of us and he went off on a tirade that would make Andrew Dice Clay blush.
          You're getting as passive aggressive as Fish's cranky grandmother. All that's missing is phrasing your posts in the form of leading questions and adding some twee "no?" at the end like a Dartmouth Review mouthbreather.

But I digress. Let's talk about '18. I haven't actually seen the DCCC or DSCC announce a coherent plan for putting a dent in this kunckledragger hellscape other than bromides about "competing everywhere." Is there any sort of new idea animating those folks, or is this a slog it through and hope for Trump Hate campaign?
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Really?
            Could have fooled me, given the last time I saw some good right-wing satire was yesterday. Although I'd amend it to say devout loyalists to anything, from any angle, are not able to take jokes about what they are devout. Sarcasm barely exists in the 21st century.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              You're getting as passive aggressive as Fish's cranky grandmother. All that's missing is phrasing your posts in the form of leading questions and adding some twee "no?" at the end like a Dartmouth Review mouthbreather.

But I digress. Let's talk about '18. I haven't actually seen the DCCC or DSCC announce a coherent plan for putting a dent in this kunckledragger hellscape other than bromides about "competing everywhere." Is there any sort of new idea animating those folks, or is this a slog it through and hope for Trump Hate campaign?
              You know, for someone who went to SUNY-Ithaca, you sure care a lot about the Dartmouth Review. I could share plenty of actual stories, but the reality is for every *** hat like convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza, there were a couple dozen staffers who just wanted to get together and drink on the dime of some old rich white guys.

And the liberal answer, the Dartmouth Free Press, was complete shiat, at least while I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                You know, for someone who went to SUNY-Ithaca, you sure care a lot about the Dartmouth Review. I could share plenty of actual stories, but the reality is for every *** hat like convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza, there were a couple dozen staffers who just wanted to get together and drink on the dime of some old rich white guys.

And the liberal answer, the Dartmouth Free Press, was complete shiat, at least while I was there.
                It's just a stand-in for "a really dumb piece of garbage." The Washington Times would suffice as an alternative. And IINM DR also gave us P. J. O'Rourke who wrote a few funny things before his shtick got older than Dennis Leary.

If you were involved with it I'll relent. I had no idea or anyway no memory of that. Not at all a personal slight.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Let's talk about '18. I haven't actually seen the DCCC or DSCC announce a coherent plan for putting a dent in this kunckledragger hellscape other than bromides about "competing everywhere." Is there any sort of new idea animating those folks, or is this a slog it through and hope for Trump Hate campaign?
                  I would love for Democrats to have more of a platform than "we empathize with the oppressed and downtrodden." Someone really needs to explain to people how D policies would improve people's lives.

First of all, what kind of person with any kind of ambition and self-respect would voluntarily "identify" as "oppressed and downtrodden"? If you are trying to expand your base, you need a positive message.

Second of all, I think people are starting to see through the standard rhetoric:
                  -- "we care more about blacks than anyone else"
                  -- "we care more about the LBGTQ community than anyone else"
                  -- "we care more about women than anyone else"
                  Two problems with that approach:
                  -- whether you are black, female, or LBGTQ, you are still motivated by economic issues. Symbolism takes second priority over pocketbook.
                  -- how can you reconcile conflicts between blacks, women, LBGTQ if you are supposed to be the exclusive protector of each one? It is sort of like when kids grow up and realize that, hey, mom and dad can't love each one of us more than all the rest of us. If you go around telling everyone they are special, then no one is; that's just basic common sense.

and again, outside the base, income inequality is not an issue over which you can expand beyond your base, unless your plan to solve income inequality is to get better jobs for regular people. I know it motivates the true believers, but as you are discovering, you don't have enough core true believers to win elections. you need to appeal beyond the race/class divide rhetoric.

We need a good, vigorous debate between two parties who each advance programs that benefit the majority of people; right now both parties are trying an "us against them" approach which will always repel at least as many people as it will attract.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Maybe Rover wants to talk to you about his girl's claim that it was really all Obama's fault, and some of these stories in which all the local D chairmen are bitter that Obama starved their organizations of funds and volunteers because he wanted to form his own Obama For America committee, whatever in the he11 that is.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      I would love for Democrats to have more of a platform than "we empathize with the oppressed and downtrodden." Someone really needs to explain to people how D policies would improve people's lives.

First of all, what kind of person with any kind of ambition and self-respect would voluntarily "identify" as "oppressed and downtrodden"? If you are trying to expand your base, you need a positive message.

Second of all, I think people are starting to see through the standard rhetoric:
                      -- "we care more about blacks than anyone else"
                      -- "we care more about the LBGTQ community than anyone else"
                      -- "we care more about women than anyone else"
                      Two problems with that approach:
                      -- whether you are black, female, or LBGTQ, you are still motivated by economic issues. Symbolism takes second priority over pocketbook.
                      -- how can you reconcile conflicts between blacks, women, LBGTQ if you are supposed to be the exclusive protector of each one? It is sort of like when kids grow up and realize that, hey, mom and dad can't love each one of us more than all the rest of us. If you go around telling everyone they are special, then no one is; that's just basic common sense.

and again, outside the base, income inequality is not an issue over which you can expand beyond your base, unless your plan to solve income inequality is to get better jobs for regular people. I know it motivates the true believers, but as you are discovering, you don't have enough core true believers to win elections. you need to appeal beyond the race/class divide rhetoric.

We need a good, vigorous debate between two parties who each advance programs that benefit the majority of people; right now both parties are trying an "us against them" approach which will always repel at least as many people as it will attract.
                      I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is an excellent post.

Liberals win elections when they do exactly what you are recommending: connect the economic realities of the two parties' contrasting policies with the rhetoric of expanding opportunity.

My ideal Democratic candidacy is you take the hard-nosed, unsentimental economic message and put it front and center. Then get a charismatic empty-headed front man like Reagan to go out and deliver the spiel. The lofos vote for him because they can have a beer with him, but we still get the right policies.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Obviously I'm kidding about the Dice Man stuff but adding ",no?" to a phrase works every time!

DNC or whatever doesn't need anything more than "Trump sucks" at this point. No white papers, books, or novels. Dems have a huge problem in being clear and concise. Their platform is halting or reversing to the extent possible everything Trump. Also putting Impeachment on the table. That's it. He's giving them so much fodder (budget, Trumpcare, environment, etc) everything else gets crowded out. Besides, its not like they could enact free college tuition with him in the WH anyway. Stay away from detailed new policies.

Mind you, I'm not sure Perez and crew are doing this by design or are lucking out. Recall the last successful Dem mid-term in 2006. It was a simple message: "we're done with the Iraq war" that IMHO they stumbled into when Murtha went off the reservation on his own. In the ensuing couple of days Dems had their usual limp wristed response until both the public rallied to the message and messenger and Murtha himself neutered Dick Cheney with the "I like it when people with 5 deferments question my patriotism" comment that even the lapdog war-cheering media couldn't ignore. However, they did have excellent recruiting that year which paid off when a lot of Goopers got caught up in scandals. Recruiting seems to be going well this time around too. Lets not make this too complicated.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          Maybe Rover wants to talk to you about his girl's claim that it was really all Obama's fault, and some of these stories in which all the local D chairmen are bitter that Obama starved their organizations of funds and volunteers because he wanted to form his own Obama For America committee, whatever in the he11 that is.
                          I would really be wary of any story that starts with "CNN reports that Hillary Clinton said" and leave it at that. They aren't exactly known for the accuracy of their reporting over the last 20 years, particularly when it comes to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            DNC or whatever doesn't need anything more than "Trump sucks" at this point. No white papers, books, or novels. Dems have a huge problem in being clear and concise. Their platform is halting or reversing to the extent possible everything Trump. Also putting Impeachment on the table. That's it. He's giving them so much fodder (budget, Trumpcare, environment, etc) everything else gets crowded out. Besides, its not like they could enact free college tuition with him in the WH anyway. Stay away from detailed new policies.

Mind you, I'm not sure Perez and crew are doing this by design or are lucking out. Recall the last successful Dem mid-term in 2006. It was a simple message: "we're done with the Iraq war" that IMHO they stumbled into when Murtha went off the reservation on his own. In the ensuing couple of days Dems had their usual limp wristed response until both the public rallied to the message and messenger and Murtha himself neutered Dick Cheney with the "I like it when people with 5 deferments question my patriotism" comment that even the lapdog war-cheering media couldn't ignore. However, they did have excellent recruiting that year which paid off when a lot of Goopers got caught up in scandals. Recruiting seems to be going well this time around too. Lets not make this too complicated.
                            Yep. I agree with all of this.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              So you assume that 10% of the people dont know who one of the most prominent members of the DFL Party is (who happens to head the 2nd biggest city in the state) and WE are making assumptions? Yeah about that...
                              Perhaps, but in 2013, Coleman got a whopping 23,875 votes (out of 30,518 cast) in a city of 295,413 at the time, so I'm not so sure 10% is a bad guess.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

A followup to a post from a few weeks ago:

Consider: In 2011, the top 357 households [in CT] accounted for 11.7 percent of the state's income tax. At today's tax rates, that means $3.2 million a year in state income tax alone from each of those families — and the billionaires are not in the top 400, they are in the top 10....[two billionaires alone] personally made $2.05 billion last year."
                                7% of $2 billion is $140 million.

Connecticut’s income tax collections plummeted at the end of April leaving Connecticut with a gaping $5.2 billion hole in its budget for this year and the next two fiscal years.

Revenues are down about $413 million this fiscal year, and another $597 million and $865 million in fiscal year 2018 and 2019, according to the latest estimates.
                                "revenues are down about $413 million."

This "laboratory of democracy" should be a warning sign to other states not to follow the same pathway.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X