Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The States. It's 10th Amendment or bust!

Posted this in the religion thread, and I'll post it here, too. North Dakota Blue Laws won't be repealed yet...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...go-to-worship/
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      Posted this in the religion thread, and I'll post it here, too. North Dakota Blue Laws won't be repealed yet...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...go-to-worship/
      The prairie bible belt is alive and well and stuck in the 16th century.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        The prairie bible belt is alive and well and stuck in the 16th century.
        NJ still has blue laws.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          NJ still has blue laws.
          IINM, blue laws are "blue" because the MA book was blue.

But the high caliber f-ckwittery of the Christian Sharia types emanates from the prairie states and of course (nuke) the south. From Cheyenne to Westboro an iron curtain has descended, blocking people's brains.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            IINM, blue laws are "blue" because the MA book was blue.

But the high caliber f-ckwittery of the Christian Sharia types emanates from the prairie states and of course (nuke) the south. From Cheyenne to Westboro an iron curtain has descended, blocking people's brains.
            Just one more way east coast pseudo-intellectual puritans got this country off on the wrong foot.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Just one more way east coast pseudo-intellectual puritans got this country off on the wrong foot.
              I'm not fond of the Puritans, but some of them actually were intellectual (though they'd have hated the characterization) -- the first and in some respects still the most intense American intellectuals.

Increase Mather really knew his sh-t. Not much fun at parties, though.
              Cornell University

Comment

I have to admit, I kind of liked the blue laws when I lived in North Dakota (worked in retail), just like I kind of liked no Sunday liquor sales (football!) in Minnesota when I worked at a liquor store. Neither law should have existed then or now, but we got a ton done in the 4 hours before we opened on Sunday that would have taken at least the full day if we had people in the store shopping.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  I have to admit, I kind of liked the blue laws when I lived in North Dakota (worked in retail), just like I kind of liked no Sunday liquor sales (football!) in Minnesota when I worked at a liquor store. Neither law should have existed then or now, but we got a ton done in the 4 hours before we opened on Sunday that would have taken at least the full day if we had people in the store shopping.
                  That's what a lot of people don't realize. While the religious wacko who stands up and makes the speech on the Senate floor gets all the publicity and derision from the left, the real reason repeal of these laws get defeated, behind the scenes, is the Chamber member businesses in there saying we don't want to be open on Sundays. One more day of overhead for the same weekly sales.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

And they still dont have to be open now.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      And they still dont have to be open now.
                      They don't. I'm not a supporter of blue laws. I think if you want to be open you should be allowed to be open.

But I have a friend who runs a liquor store and he was constantly complaining to me about efforts to allow liquor stores to be open on Sundays in Minnesota, which as you know just passed. He knows he doesn't have to be open, but he also knows the big retailers will be, so to stay competitive he'll have to be as well.

My point was that he (and many other businessmen like him) spent a lot of time fighting against this and couldn't give a rats azz whether they or any of their employees have time to go to church.

Comment

My point was that he (and many other businessmen like him) spent a lot of time fighting against this and couldn't give a rats azz whether they or any of their employees have time to go to church.
                        I always kinda figured this was the case.

I still don't understand the lobby to keep you from pumping your own gas in Oregon and Jersey, though. Cui bono on that comes up "???"
                        Cornell University

Comment

They don't. I'm not a supporter of blue laws. I think if you want to be open you should be allowed to be open.

But I have a friend who runs a liquor store and he was constantly complaining to me about efforts to allow liquor stores to be open on Sundays in Minnesota, which as you know just passed. He knows he doesn't have to be open, but he also knows the big retailers will be, so to stay competitive he'll have to be as well.

Oh I know...I just always hated that reasoning. I get it from their standpoint but in reality it makes no sense. Some restaurants choose to not be open on certain holidays or days of the week because of overhead costs and low business and the liquor stores can do the same. It will hurt at first but after a few months things will normalize.

I worked in a bar when the smoking ban hit in certain areas...I heard many of the same worries and complaints.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            I worked in a bar when the smoking ban hit in certain areas...I heard many of the same worries and complaints.
                            I was working in Cambridge when they banned smoking in bars. My god, the howler monkeys prophesied the end of the world. And as we all know, everybody gave up drinking and hooking up and all the bars had to close.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The one that gest me is car sales in MN can't happen on Sundays. When you talk to the car dealers, they want Sunday sales legalized. What's keeping that from happening is that some people like to tour new car lots on Sundays to view the vehicles without being hassled by the sales staff. If I owned a dealership, I might keep a sales person or two on hand just to greet the people who come to the lot. Explain that you can't make the sale that day if asked, but certainly perform the other operations. I really don't see what would prevent that as a number of dealerships have their service shops open on Sundays now.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

If staying open on Sunday offers no increase in sales why would it be required to remain competitive with those that make the choice? If anything they should be able to have lower costs vs the competition and invariably an opportunity for more competitive pricing.

Comment

Working...
                                X