Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin VS Minnesota 2/24 @ 2/25

Originally posted by BuB View Post
    I originally thought that as well, but watched it a few more times after the game (Live DVR is a wonderful thing, huh?) and thought the refs got it right. But it was close.
    Here's a gif of the play.

To me Bristedt sets his skates and drives straight into Tischke's back. All he had to do was continue up and pinch to the wall. But he doesn't and IMO it's a very dangerous play. Tischke is very strong on his skates and gets one forward to mitigate his going head first into the wall a bit. If he doesn't, or if it catches, or maybe if it's Linhart, who is 25 lbs. lighter, it could've been a disaster. From what I've seen, and I think rightly so, when it's close, they call it 100% of the time, as CFB near the wall can put a kid in a wheel chair. There should be very little leeway. Opinions may vary, of course.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Lastly, maybe it's my Cardinal colored glasses, but I don't see how Bristedt didn't get the gate? He hits Tischke square in the numbers and head first into the wall. Since when did they stop calling that CFB and 5?
      I don't think I would have greatly protested had the big call been made, but even after watching the replay I see it as best a 50/50 call. However, he took it too close to the edge and you have to avoid that type of hit as much as possible.

It was a fun game to watch. Many of us had fun at UW's expense the past few years, but at the end of the day watching these teams compete not only on the ice but for something important is far more enjoyable. I greatly respect Granato and he is going to make things much tougher for the Gophers and the B1G in general as the years go by. Fans like you deserve nothing less and this should be extremely fun to watch moving forward. Especially since your squad recognizes you don't have to win 1-0.

Here's to tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        The Gophers should have won this game, pure and simple. On numerous occasions they did a nice job of setting things up for a very promising scoring opportunity, but they invariably found a creative way to squander the chance...fan on the shot, miss the net, overpass to nobody, etc. etc. They've done a great job of setting up and then finishing those opportunities ever since the break, but last night they were just a little off. When you outshoot a team 38-18, including 18-7 in the 3rd period, you should not lose the game. I won't be surprised if we see a few changes in the lineup tonight, as there were several guys who didn't contribute much at all.
        The Gophers launched a ton of shot attempts (83 vs. 38/Wis.). I agree the Gopher's structure and playmaking in the O zone was out of sync. I thought Vinnie had more shots that went wide than usual. But credit the Wis D. Defensively, I thought the difference in the game was Wis. boxed out well and protected Berry in front for most of the game especially in the 3rd period.

For a team that's ranked 57th with 10 blks/gm, Wis. had 29 last night, well over the Mich. mark, who leads the nation with 18 blks/gm. Berry also played a huge role in shutting down the Gophers. IMO he looked very sharp between the pipes and overall played complete game.

EDIT:

The Gophers missed Szmatula on his line and the PP. Apparently he's day to day with an upper body injury. Hope he's back tonight.
        Last edited by SteveO; 02-25-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          I don't think I would have greatly protested had the big call been made, but even after watching the replay I see it as best a 50/50 call. However, he took it too close to the edge and you have to avoid that type of hit as much as possible.

It was a fun game to watch. Many of us had fun at UW's expense the past few years, but at the end of the day watching these teams compete not only on the ice but for something important is far more enjoyable. I greatly respect Granato and he is going to make things much tougher for the Gophers and the B1G in general as the years go by. Fans like you deserve nothing less and this should be extremely fun to watch moving forward. Especially since your squad recognizes you don't have to win 1-0.

Here's to tonight.
          Way, way too civilized. You're talking like a Hawks fan now, Slap.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            The Gophers should have won this game, pure and simple. On numerous occasions they did a nice job of setting things up for a very promising scoring opportunity, but they invariably found a creative way to squander the chance...fan on the shot, miss the net, overpass to nobody, etc. etc. They've done a great job of setting up and then finishing those opportunities ever since the break, but last night they were just a little off. When you outshoot a team 38-18, including 18-7 in the 3rd period, you should not lose the game. I won't be surprised if we see a few changes in the lineup tonight, as there were several guys who didn't contribute much at all.
            Agreed. I love the unselfish plays ( pass first i.e. ) but quite a few times last night I think a hard shot & crashing the net for a rebound would have been better than that third pretty pass. A really hot goalie didn't help our cause, either. Good game though. Let's go get 'em tonight.
            You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

I'm looking forward someday to watching a TV broadcast of Badgers-Gophers that has someone with a Wisconsin connection. Listening to Doug McLeod is exhausting as a non-Gopher fan. I understand when the games are at Mariucci, but not when the games are in Madison.

Great opportunity for the Badgers tonight, but there is seemingly always a game in this series where the Gophers go off for 5+ goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                Great opportunity for the Badgers tonight, but there is seemingly always a game in this series where the Gophers go off for 5+ goals.
                Still surprised it didn't happen last night. So many missed chances for them.

I'm worried that theyll be more calm cool and collected tonight. Here's hoping that they remain snake-bitten.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm looking forward someday to watching a TV broadcast of Badgers-Gophers that has someone with a Wisconsin connection. Listening to Doug McLeod is exhausting as a non-Gopher fan. I understand when the games are at Mariucci, but not when the games are in Madison.
                  He really was terrible last night. We all have some homer in us; but, this guy reminds me of those fans at football games who boo the officials for overturning calls via replay. They looked at the tape you morons, don't boo just to boo/expect every call. McLeod was looking for a penalty anytime a WI player checked someone.

Comment

Berry was berry, berry good and the BADgers played very good position, leading to lot of blocked shots. I think it also led to many of the Gopher misses. If you're trying to avoid hitting the guy in the shin guards again, you might miss the net.

Comment

A snip of what I posted early last week.... "I know the games are on FOX WI, but I believe FOX North does the production for these (WI-MN) games. Regarding play-by-play, it would be cool to have a split booth. They tried that many years ago. I really liked it and I think the announcers did as well." I think Tom Sagissor was in the booth with "The Rug" and "Wooger"...good times!

I really tried to listen to him without judging; last time I had to switch my sound system to stream from WIBA. He IS difficult to listen to; although I have NO problem with the analyst...forgot his name. I know he has a good resume, but I know some Gopher fans are over him. I was with them until he gave the first goal to Jedd Soleway and went on to tell everybody that that is his first point since "whenever". He never corrected himself but his analyst mentioned it was Frederic who scored during the replay. This guy knows that Fox WI is broadcasting with FOX North, but I don't think he cares.
                      Tonight, I'm back to syncing my sound system with WIBA and DirecTv.

That said, it was a fun game to watch just like it should be between these teams. Just when I start to feel comfortable, MN pops one and all hell breaks loose. Puck luck for the Badgers was mentioned...part of the game kids, and I don't think Minnesota's first goal was a strategic plan. This 83 "shot" effort that McLeod brought up after the game is bull****. Just because you flip a puck "towards" the net from 75+ feet isn't an attempt. Child, Please.

Sorry, I just feel like **** and it's putting me in a bad mood.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

"I think Tom Sagissor was in the booth with "The Rug" and "Wooger"...good times"

Now that does bring back the past. I normally didn't like Sagissor, but what the heck, why not every once in a while for a Border Battle.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          This 83 "shot" effort that McLeod brought up after the game is bull****. Just because you flip a puck "towards" the net from 75+ feet isn't an attempt. Child, Please.

Sorry, I just feel like **** and it's putting me in a bad mood.
                          Not so fast my friend.

Whichever way you want to argue the Gophers controlled most of the play and were clearly buzzing more often than UW. But why should that be upsetting - you guys won. I'd take that.

I might be in the minority of Gophers fans but I enjoyed when Sagissor joined the Gophers booth.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-25-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

The gophers are up 2-0, all is right with the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                              The gophers are up 2-0, all is right with the world.
                              Nice jinx brah.
                              National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                                Nice jinx brah.
                                not for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X