Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: The losing Monopoly Piece....

  1. #21
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,457

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    FlagDUDETTE's favorite is the thimble. Needless to say, she isn't too happy.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,179

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    The new tokens are a duck, a T-Rex, and a penguin. Gone are the wheelbarrow, boot, and thimble.
    In fairness, the duck is adorable.

    Shouldn't the T-Rex have feathers?
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  3. #23
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    I see Hasbro is ruining Monopoly much like they're ruining Magic (The Gathering, not the art).

  4. #24
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    17,446

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Who honestly gives a **** about the game pieces in Monopoly? How does that affect gameplay in the least?

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  5. #25
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,658

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Who honestly gives a **** about the game pieces in Monopoly? How does that affect gameplay in the least?
    People create emotional attachments to childhood memories. That's why people care.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,179

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    People create emotional attachments to childhood memories. That's why people care.
    Apparently Monopoly sells a product that is just all the tokens, past and present. That's savvy -- they generate hype and a market by taking the tokens out of the main game. DLC Evil comes to board games.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-20-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  7. #27
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    17,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Apparently Monopoly sells a product that is just all the tokens, past and present. That's savvy -- they generate hype and an market by taking the tokens out of the main game. DLC Evil comes to board games.
    No, it's Hasbro. It's all about the branding. Market research showed the old pieces just didn't resonate with players so they decided to switch things up. Plus, the wheelbarrow and thimble didn't translate well into the other platforms the brand is being used on. It's a lot easier to create a TV show and movie with a duck and a penguin.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,179

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    No, it's Hasbro. It's all about the branding. Market research showed the old pieces just didn't resonate with players so they decided to switch things up. Plus, the wheelbarrow and thimble didn't translate well into the other platforms the brand is being used on. It's a lot easier to create a TV show and movie with a duck and a penguin.
    No, I get that, but I'm saying I saw an ad where they (I assume it's they) also just sell the tokens a la cart so if you want a thimble by god you can have a thimble, for a price. This reminded me of some of the DLC shenanigans that video games use.

    I'm surprised at this point the Monopoly tokens aren't just cross-branded characters from Disney movies or Harry Baggins, Frodo Solo, and Han Potter. Childrens toys and childrens movies are equally grotesque marketing gimmicks -- they should create a vertical monopoly of exploitation.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  9. #29
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    187,296

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No, I get that, but I'm saying I saw an ad where they (I assume it's they) also just sell the tokens a la cart so if you want a thimble by god you can have a thimble, for a price. This reminded me of some of the DLC shenanigans that video games use.

    I'm surprised at this point the Monopoly tokens aren't just cross-branded characters from Disney movies or Harry Baggins, Frodo Solo, and Han Potter. Childrens toys and childrens movies are equally grotesque marketing gimmicks -- they should create a vertical monopoly of exploitation.
    Just wait until the President hears this. He'll demand that Boardwalk to be renamed Trump Casino. .

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,179

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Just wait until the President hears this. He'll demand that Boardwalk to be renamed Trump Casino. .
    The railroads can be the three wives and Ivanka.

    No, I didn't mean to imply that, yuck.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  11. #31
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    17,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    No, I get that, but I'm saying I saw an ad where they (I assume it's they) also just sell the tokens a la cart so if you want a thimble by god you can have a thimble, for a price. This reminded me of some of the DLC shenanigans that video games use.

    I'm surprised at this point the Monopoly tokens aren't just cross-branded characters from Disney movies or Harry Baggins, Frodo Solo, and Han Potter. Childrens toys and childrens movies are equally grotesque marketing gimmicks -- they should create a vertical monopoly of exploitation.
    If it was like DLC you'd get two tokens in the box with a wide variety of tokens available for purchase at $9.99 a piece. Plus the the package of "start the game with Park Place and Boardwalk" for $19.99. And if it was EA you'd only get half a board with the other two parts later as DLC.

    As for cross-branding, they already do that with the eleventy billion licensed versions.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,179

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    If it was like DLC you'd get two tokens in the box with a wide variety of tokens available for purchase at $9.99 a piece. Plus the the package of "start the game with Park Place and Boardwalk" for $19.99. And if it was EA you'd only get half a board with the other two parts later as DLC.
    And there'd be a PayPal account where each time you gave them $1 during a game you could place a hotel.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  13. #33
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,457

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    OK people, be honest... how many of you actually play with the official rules? i.e. Auctions, no Free Parking jackpot, build evenly, building shortages, and so on...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  14. #34
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    17,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    And there'd be a PayPal account where each time you gave them $1 during a game you could place a hotel.
    No, this is Hasbro. Hotels are part of booster packs that sell for $3.99. However hotels are only in 1 out of every 64 booster packs.

  15. #35
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    187,296

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Just wait until the President hears this. He'll demand that Boardwalk to be renamed Trump Casino. .
    How stupid of me, he'd have each hotel in the shape of one of his hotels.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    55,179

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    OK people, be honest... how many of you actually play with the official rules? i.e. Auctions, no Free Parking jackpot, build evenly, building shortages, and so on...
    I like the official rules but I can never find enough people who know/want them. But if I did I would, I think they're more interesting.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  17. #37
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    64,476

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I like the official rules but I can never find enough people who know/want them. But if I did I would, I think they're more interesting.
    I play with official rules when I play.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  18. #38
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42,457

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I like the official rules but I can never find enough people who know/want them. But if I did I would, I think they're more interesting.
    Whenever someone says "I don't want [that property]", the look on their faces when I respond with "I'll take it for a dollar."
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  19. #39
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,967

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Never did auctions, always did Free Parking, etc etc. BUT ALWAYS PLAYED BUILD EVENLY. That was my #1 rule.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #40
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    26,372

    Re: The losing Monopoly Piece....

    Official rules, always. Makes games quick when playing with neophytes, but longer when playing with good, experienced Monopoly players. That's the trade-off.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •