Thread: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    "told ya so"
    Well played, sir....

Quote Originally Posted by BuB View Post
    Well played, sir....
    I don't do much on the boards over the weekends, this is usually my distraction from work...so I'll elaborate a little bit now that I have some time.

As to Greenway and penalties; yup, been seeing way too much of that from him this year. There has to be that line between being an aggressive/annoying player and getting penalties called. If he can learn how to work that line and maintain his levels of aggressiveness while taking 1/2 of the penalties he could be great. He's got a ton of talent and potential, but neither of those things to anyone any good when he is sitting in the box, or the locker room, or the press box because he was suspended.

I don't do much on the boards over the weekends, this is usually my distraction from work...so I'll elaborate a little bit now that I have some time.

As to Greenway and penalties; yup, been seeing way too much of that from him this year. There has to be that line between being an aggressive/annoying player and getting penalties called. If he can learn how to work that line and maintain his levels of aggressiveness while taking 1/2 of the penalties he could be great. He's got a ton of talent and potential, but neither of those things to anyone any good when he is sitting in the box, or the locker room, or the press box because he was suspended.
    I agree with all of this, especially the distraction from work part!

Early frontrunner for understatement of the week: This team needs to find a way to get 3 points this weekend.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Meh... I'm really not onboard for dogging JD too much. In conference games he's got 7 minors, Kunin 7, Frederick 10, Tischke 10. The Fighting at Mich St. there's no excuse for, but he sat his time. I really don't have a problem with the 10 for roughing he got vs. Mich as it was a matching penalty with Boka. If you want a guy that won't back down in a fight for the puck in the corner, sometimes that guy isn't going to back down after the whistle either.

As a team Wisconsin is 45th in PIM and while any penalty is potentially a bad one that (theoretically) costs you the game, Wisconsin and JD aren't taking an inordinate amount at this point. They've got a long way to go to get up there with the big boys like Zent, Plante, the Suters, or Big Mac. I remember Gary Suter once taking 5 in one period. (Which I figured must be a Badger record, so I looked it up and it is, but Sagissor also matched it.)

It's crunch time and the boys have to play with an edge, they have to dictate play and make the other guys try and take it away from them. If they cross the line it might cost them, but I'd rather that, then lose by sitting back and getting run over. Let 'em know your there, boys!
    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 02-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

We are up to 136 votes, good for 19th place in the poll
    RPI inches up to 20
    PWR also climbs to 20
    Team O, 3.75 - 6th
    Team D, 3.29 - 46th
    PP, 32/148 21.62% - 9th
    PK, 107/123 87.0% - 5th
    After a couple of very close games that ended up in a split, here is where we are:
    18-11-1
    We continue to climb, now up to 238 votes, good for 16th place in the poll
    RPI jumps up to 13
    PWR also climbs to 13
    Team O, 3.74 - 7th
    Team D, 3.23 - 45th
    PP, 35/156 22.44% - 9th
    PK, 113/130 86.9% - 5th

This week we head to Penn State
    20-8-2
    506 votes, good for 11th
    RPI - 9
    PWR - 9
    Team O, 4.17 - 1st
    Team D, 2.67 - 23rd
    PP, 28/141 19.86% - 18th
    PK, 97/116 83.6% - 25th

A few common threads will continue to be relevant and predictable this weekend...
    Score early and score often
    Maximize special teams
    B1G teams aren't going to shut you out

Early and Often
    Both teams thrive when they have an early lead. Wisconsin is 9-0-0 when leading after 1 and 11-4-1 when leading after 2. PSU is 16-2-1 when leading after 1 and 10-4-1 when leading after 2.
    Not surprisingly, since they have had 19 games where they lead after the first, PSU puts up more goals in the first than any other period. Wisconsin, as you saw against Minnesota, has turned into a second period team. Defensively, UW allows the most goals in the first and PSU allows the least goals in the first. If Wisconsin wants to be successful, they will need to get goals in the first period.

Special Teams
    Wisconsin is better in both categories. We score more often on the PP and we kill more often on the PK. The big thing to look at is how often we can expect to see the special teams on the ice. Wisconsin has had 156 PP attempts and 130 PK situations; PSU has had 141 PP tries, but has only been on 116 PKs. Wisconsin can capitalize on the PP, but how often are they going to get the chance?

Everyone Scores
    So far this season in conference play, 4 of 6 teams are averaging better than 3.5 goals per game. Not surprisingly, all of the teams are allowing 3.0 goals per game or worse
    Only 3 games have ended in shutouts.
    24-Feb = Michigan 1 / Ohio State 0
    20-Jan = Michigan State 3 / Michigan 0
    6-Jan = Penn State 0 / Ohio State 3
    Honestly, I was expecting to see shutouts against the Michigan schools, they are at the bottom of the Team O in conference play with 2.5 (Michigan) and 2.38 (Michigan State). It was kind of odd to see Ohio State and Penn State being shut out, they are tied for 3rd in conference with 3.69 per game.
    Also surprising was that the teams earning the shutouts are the bottom half of Team D ranks. Ohio State at 3.25, Michigan State at 3.75, Michigan at 4.12.
    I guess this all goes to show that anything can happen on any given Friday or Saturday...Or the occasional Thursday

I don't know what to expect this year. Penn State has been solid at home, but hasn't played the most aggressive non-con schedule so those numbers are slightly skewed.

I'd like to see UW come out with 4+ points, but a split could be entirely reasonable.

Registered College Hockey Addict

It was great to see UW steal a game like that shots-wise. That hasn't happened for years. Bummed I didn't get a chance to watch it, but watching a 7-0 thumping of Kato was plenty fun.

It was nice to meet Innova, he scored some sweet seats behind the UW bench and he got to watch a great game, minus the HORRIFIC refereeing, but that's for the women's page.

Let's sweep the rodents and send them plunging off bridges en mass.
    Nice meeting you to Timothy...too bad we couldn't chat more, but I had my hands full of concession items

Anyway, it was a great time, and I will be back down to a game next year...the girls are exciting to watch, and they are great sports...even tossing over some autographed pucks to my daughter and her friends!

Drunkard

Badger party at MSG: Brendan Smith traded to the Rangers, joins McD and Stepan.

Coach was on the USCHO Live podcast last night.

There is a recording of it here

He comes on after the 2nd commercial break, around the 42 min mark.

Somewhat off topic, but Brendan Smith just got traded to the Rangers in exchange for a 2018 2nd and 2017 3rd round pick. Wings do not retain any of his salary.

So that's Stepan, McDonaugh and now Smith on the same squad. In case you're looking for an NHL rooting interest come the playoffs.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheTurk View Post
    Somewhat off topic, but Brendan Smith just got traded to the Rangers in exchange for a 2018 2nd and 2017 3rd round pick. Wings do not retain any of his salary.

So that's Stepan, McDonaugh and now Smith on the same squad. In case you're looking for an NHL rooting interest come the playoffs.
    Super stoked about the trade.....I like the Wings, though not as much now, but I love the Rangers. The Rangers sure could use Pavs, that is for sure, but what team couldn't use Pavs.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Nic Kerdiles had to use the drive through for his "cup of coffee" in the show, as the Ducks traded for and signed Patrick Eaves over the top of him and sent Nic back to the Gulls after his one game. Perhaps the Rangers should look to sign Kerdiles away too, as it seems like the Ducks haven't displayed a ton of confidence in him. When he jumped ship here it looked like he would have a very good shot to make the big club, but the Ducks signed several guys over the top of him that summer as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Super stoked about the trade.....I like the Wings, though not as much now, but I love the Rangers. The Rangers sure could use Pavs, that is for sure, but what team couldn't use Pavs.
    So hard to see Badgers go to a team like the Rangers.... Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Nic Kerdiles had to use the drive through for his "cup of coffee" in the show, as the Ducks traded for and signed Patrick Eaves over the top of him and sent Nic back to the Gulls after his one game. Perhaps the Rangers should look to sign Kerdiles away too, as it seems like the Ducks haven't displayed a ton of confidence in him. When he jumped ship here it looked like he would have a very good shot to make the big club, but the Ducks signed several guys over the top of him that summer as well.
    I think he was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place after 2013-14 at UW. Probably could've used another year at UW, but you couldn't really blame him for leaving with how empty the cupboard was about to be. Also didn't help that he's had some injury issues since he went pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Innova View Post
    Nice meeting you to Timothy...too bad we couldn't chat more, but I had my hands full of concession items

Anyway, it was a great time, and I will be back down to a game next year...the girls are exciting to watch, and they are great sports...even tossing over some autographed pucks to my daughter and her friends!

My daughter plays hockey, wondering what age group your daughter plays? Mine has played both U10 and U12 this season. Both are going to State Tournament so I'm off to balmy Superior this weekend and Hudson next weekend lol.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Cool pic! Shout out to Mosinee! Could there be another shut-out queen in the future?
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

Let's go RED!

That's what hockey is all about right there. Hopefully you gave Coach Koch contact info, looks like some future UW players for sure.

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    On a selfish note, maybe it's time the State Urinal highlights the hockey team..especially on days the BB team doesn't even play, instead of those articles. If the hockey team lost 4 of 5, they'd be buried near the obits.
    They entered the NCAA tournament 4th overall nationally and were buried on UW-specific outlets...it will be an extremely long road to get the enthusiasm back on track. It's not just about bringing fans back, it's about building the new fan base largely from scratch, and teaching them what the heck college hockey actually is.

Drunkard
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscDC View Post
    They entered the NCAA tournament 4th overall nationally and were buried on UW-specific outlets...it will be an extremely long road to get the enthusiasm back on track. It's not just about bringing fans back, it's about building the new fan base largely from scratch, and teaching them what the heck college hockey actually is.
    It's worse than that...

They entered at 3rd nationally that year: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Ice_Hockey_Tournament#Q ualifying_teams

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    It's worse than that...

They entered at 3rd nationally that year: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Ice_Hockey_Tournament#Q ualifying_teams
    I was talking about 2013-14. Even diehard fans completely forget that, and fans who are anything short of diehard never noticed in the first place. I always describe that year as a "lost season contained in a bubble" when describing the downfall to older Badgers fans who saw men's hockey as "big" (even if they didn't follow it closely) and when describing it to newer fans to illustrate the crazy mismatch between the team's previous success and reputation and what new fans see now. Wins and losses were a miniscule part of that.

Let's go RED!

Had to bump over the Chinese hackers. I do love good Chinese food though.

Thread Information