This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    It's theirs (current students) now though and with that comes their right to screw it up.

I'm actually with KaMiGo though on this one in that they don't need or want us older farts telling them the right way to do it.
    I can agree with this part: it's theirs to screw up. And they kind of are. It's a huge reason that the atmosphere is as flat as it is, and why the PA system is being used as much as it is.

(Which reminds me: I had a tirade about that before the games last weekend, maybe I'll finally get some time to myself during lunch today)
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I'm actually with KaMiGo though on this one
      I almost fell out of my chair!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        I can agree with this part: it's theirs to screw up. And they kind of are. It's a huge reason that the atmosphere is as flat as it is, and why the PA system is being used as much as it is.

How do you come to that conclusion?

The product being substandard and the resulting attendance crash is the reason that the atmosphere sucks.

When we go now, I try and buy seats near the student section coz it's the only atmosphere that there is in that morgue.

When the place is full and the team is in its rightful place, the student section is an accent. A part of the experience.

Not the entire experience or even the majority of it.

If we're relying on the student section to carry the day, that says more about us than it does them.

And it says plenty about where I am with the game day experience as I want to tap into their energy.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Old ****ers? Seriously? I'm pretty sure we're the same age.

I don't recall who was calling for the reintroduction of rumble rink, I had thought it was you but it could have con or hybs or??? And what's wrong with that anyway? Especially if the alternative is adding "dick" to the end of phrases or some other lame attempt at humor without effort.

Get off my lawn!
          I did, kind of. (#289). I had posted from my phone and didn't put a big smiley face or wink emoji after it, which I did explain later. Those days are gone, but I'd like to see something fun, creative, funny, intimidating, etc. Replacing "sieve" with every word to "On Wisconsin" isn't creative or funny. Nor is dick. I love the energy with the Creatures, but they need creativity and especially, intimidation.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Hi all, it's been a long time. Regarding the student section chants, I agree that there is a lack of creativity. (Many) years ago, I remember there were a few guys that were always directly behind the net. I don't know how they did it, as this was pre widely available internet, but they pulled out information on the opposing teams and came up with new stuff seemingly every week. This eventually came to a head when the chants were about the opposing goalie's mother, who had passed away a few weeks earlier. Obviously, that's going way too far. But when was the last time you heard something as innocuous as "High school goalie" at a freshman?
            Badger Bob said it best - "It's a great day for hockey."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              We are. That's why I said it.

Look, no hard feelings. We can disagree.

It's theirs (current students) now though and with that comes their right to screw it up.

I'm actually with KaMiGo though on this one in that they don't need or want us older farts telling them the right way to do it.
              That's true, I'm sure the students don't want our input and I can't blame them for that.

No hard feelings of course. I don't get bent out out shape to easily, especially on a day where I can blast Sandinista! at work😈😈
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                I did, kind of. (#289). I had posted from my phone and didn't put a big smiley face or wink emoji after it, which I did explain later. Those days are gone, but I'd like to see something fun, creative, funny, intimidating, etc. Replacing "sieve" with every word to "On Wisconsin" isn't creative or funny. Nor is dick. I love the energy with the Creatures, but they need creativity and especially, intimidation.
                MCR, I should have remembered that😀

Maybe the thinner has eroded my memory
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  MCR, I should have remembered that��

Maybe the thinner has eroded my memory
                  We could incorporate some major chirping, eh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqwftlERNew warning...language! Best chirp at 1:20
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                    So....who do you think will win it all? Who do you WANT to win it all?

I was looking over the bracket last night and have no idea what to do......**** near used up an entire eraser. All teams involved have been lurking in the top 16 all year. What say you?
                    I look at it as who DON'T I want to win it. On the DON'T list are....DU, Harvard, Rodents, BU, OSU, PSU, Sue, UND. You can't help but root for Air Force.

Atmosphere/student lingo....I don't like the swearing at all, but it's a teachable moment for a parent. Some of us think we live in a pretty vulgar world and we just need to power through it.

I was at game years ago where the opposing goalie got pulled and the students sang "Happy Birthday" as he skated to the bench....it was his birthday. I am I a heartless jerk for thinking that was hilarious?

"Years" ago @ Labahn, the students would sing "total eclipse of the heart" to the opposing goalie. I thought that was very funny, I've always wanted to change the words in that song to be about sucking as a goalie, but I don't have the guts to sing it in front of 2000 people.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      I was at game years ago where the opposing goalie got pulled and the students sang "Happy Birthday" as he skated to the bench....it was his birthday. I am I a heartless jerk for thinking that was hilarious?
                      Cold. But definitely funny.
                      Badger Bob said it best - "It's a great day for hockey."

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        "Years" ago @ Labahn, the students would sing "total eclipse of the heart" to the opposing goalie. I thought that was very funny, I've always wanted to change the words in that song to be about sucking as a goalie, but I don't have the guts to sing it in front of 2000 people.
                        That one predates Labahn. In my day (let's call them the Elliott/Brandt/Likens/Carlson years) that was sung to opposing netminders.

It all started when some kids in 115 insisted that the Sieve "turn around and look at me when I'm talking to you". And it just went from there.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• Per the last Badger hockey digest video, UW will open next season October 6/7 vs Ohio State.

I figured the conference games would become more spread out with there being an odd number of conference teams next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                            I immediately DQ any article that says this about Luke

"one of the most elite American defensive prospects not yet signed to an NHL entry-level deal"

And this isn't saying anything new... He's got a solid game, he could go if he wants to, but he isn't sure yet.
                            Yeah, it just quotes Russo saying Kunin will be weighing his options. They just decided to add some substance-less sizzle.

Comment

Makes sense re: Scheduling

Still, you'd think we'd still find a way to play a few "warm up" noncon matchups before the conference season starts.

Comment

The main project in the student section right now is sustaining and reviving that spirit of coming up with those off-the-cuff creative chants and songs. Believe me, they still happen, but there just isn't very much manpower right now. (It doesn't happen as nearly much as I'd like, but the spirit is still there, like a tiny flame still burning.)

A lot of the older fans in the student section are up on the glass and half-heartedly do crease creature stuff, completely forgetting that the underclassmen behind them didn't get the same impression of UW men's hockey games that they did as freshmen. (Yes, one silly chant is just one silly chant, but they really add up in an amazing way.) Even if they're belting out chants without a care in the world...they're on the glass, so the lack of manpower (which can only be fixed with the in-progress off-the-ice crowd rebuild) makes that a problem.

Not a big issue, but this seems as relevant a post as any in which to mention that adding "it's all your fault" completely accidentally messed up the SIEVE chant. It doesn't have a big loud boom when it gets muddled with a ******* you or thank you or anything.

Anyway, people were sitting in the second deck when it even got that full, UW men's hockey is a long way away from being appointment viewing, and my friend and I did an experiment where we stayed quiet and waited for the first "off-the-script" chant (even a "let's go Badgers" during a lull)...it took 15 minutes of game time. (Edit: I also felt very uncomfortable not chanting during those lulls.) It'll be a steep hill to climb.

At the same time, the "old people" are having as much of a diminished impact on the overall atmosphere. Phil gets minimal support for "we want more." Those who stand up when its requested don't have many others follow suit. That mood affects new student fans as much as students can affect the rest of the arena.

Regardless, I'll be there yet again next year trying to keep it lively. It kinda works most of the time, but the numbers (both the total attendance and ratio of self-conscious newbies to those who yell when they want) work against us.
                                Last edited by WiscDC; 03-22-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X