Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Let's go RED!

Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Also...I hate to say it but I'm effing happy the rats swept psu, I don't like psu at all.
    I could not agree more. fPSU.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Sweep city baby! Fighting for first place in the b6 next week. I wish I saw the lineup for tonight's games, seemed like tons of changes from Friday.
    Labosky was in for Freytag and Bunz was in for Hurley. Thought both played very well, especially for them both not playing in a long time.

Cavallini made the coaches look like geniuses (again), scoring two goals after getting bumped up to the second line.

JD Greenway was involved in a little extracurricular activity again this week. Did anybody catch what caused the original flare-up with Boka at the bench? They went right at it at the end of the period and both ended up sitting for 10. I like Greenway's toughness (had an impressive right cross against the guy from Michigan State a couple weeks ago), but he's gotta tone it down just a bit.

Other than that, this team is pretty darned fun to watch most of the time.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by GBBadger14 View Post
    Labosky was in for Freytag and Bunz was in for Hurley. Thought both played very well, especially for them both not playing in a long time.

Cavallini made the coaches look like geniuses (again), scoring two goals after getting bumped up to the second line.
    Thanks for the info. It is impressive how they can plug and play these guys and you really can't tell a negative difference.

JD needs to tone it down for sure. I like the physicality but, this isn't the NHL.

Fredric is en feugo right now. He puts the puck right where he wants it. Poor Besse deserves a better fate right now.

I thought Jurusic had a little tough luck with some screwball shots that crossed him up, but he had some big saves. Berry looked great.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Huge series next weekend for the Badgers. If they were to sweep, they would move to a tie for 8th in the PWR. 16th with a split. They would stay at #20 with two losses and really be in a tough spot to make up ground to make the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Huge series next weekend for the Badgers. If they were to sweep, they would move to a tie for 8th in the PWR. 16th with a split. They would stay at #20 with two losses and really be in a tough spot to make up ground to make the tourney.
    How about a win and a tie? Sorry to create work for you...

Sad Panda

Quote Originally Posted by BuB View Post
    How about a win and a tie? Sorry to create work for you...
    No worries. Badger win and a tie puts Bucky at 13th. Gopher win and a tie leaves the Badgers at 20th.
    Last edited by gwhinwi; 02-19-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Some thoughts from the weekend:

1 - I was at the KC on Friday. Did not see the game on Saturday, family commitment. Anyways, as far as I am concerned, we can get rid of the "White Out". It just didn't work. Except for the student section there was absolutely no effort in trying to White Out the KC. I don't even view it as a big deal....

2 - I think Jurusik is OK, I just feel more confident with Berry in net. Not sure if the Friday vs Saturday numbers bear that out, it's just my opinion.

3 - Some absolutely terrible and careless turnovers in the defensive end led to a few Michigan goals on Friday night. This group does continue to improve, but there are still momentary "bad flashbacks".

4 - As stated previously, the overall turnaround of this program so far has been pretty fun to watch - and be a part of, as much as a fan can be I suppose. I don't know how the last 6 regular season games will go and I don't watch enough games from other corners of the country, but I have to think this is one of the 16 best teams in college hockey right now. I understand that doesn't guarantee a spot in the NCAA Tourney, but the fact we can even discuss this when compared to where we were 12 months ago is cathartic nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    We are down to 88 votes, good for 20th place in the poll
    RPI drops to 21
    PWR also drops to 21
    Team O, 3.62 - 7th
    Team D, 3.31 - 48th
    PP, 31/142 21.83% - 11th
    PK, 102/117 87.2% - 3rd
    Holy Cow!!! That was a fun couple of games!

We are up to 136 votes, good for 19th place in the poll
    RPI inches up to 20
    PWR also climbs to 20
    Team O, 3.75 - 6th
    Team D, 3.29 - 46th
    PP, 32/148 21.62% - 9th
    PK, 107/123 87.0% - 5th

This is the weekend when we travel up to Minneapolis for the 2nd half of the Minnesota series.

The Gophers have had a pretty good year so far, with a record of 20-8-2
    831 votes, good for 4th place in the poll, with a good deal of space between them and the 5th place team
    RPI - 4
    PWR - 4
    Team O, 3.97 - 4th
    Team D, 2.83 - 30th
    PP, 36/134 26.78% - 4th
    PK, 102/122 83.6% - 26th

Since splitting with the Badgers at Kohl Center in January, Minnesota has gone 6-2-0 with all of their games coming against ranked opponents. The Badgers have also gone 6-2-0, but played some unranked conference opponents in Michigan State and Michigan.

In conference play, both teams have been playing really well and getting strong performances from their top players. Both teams are in the top 2 for total O and D (Team O - Minnesota 1, Wisconsin 2; Team D - Wisconsin 1, Minnesota 2). Both teams have 2 players in the top 5 of scoring (1 - Sheehy, 3 - Kloos, 4 - Frederic, 5 - Kunin).

Both teams like to ride the momentum of scoring first. When that happens Wisconsin is 13-3-1 and Minnesota is 11-3-1.

Somewhat surprisngly, Wisconsin has a better record when playing somewhere besides Kohl Center (9-3-0) than home record (8-7-1). Minnesota likes to play at home where they are 9-2-1 as compared to 11-6-1 in away/neutral games.

Should be a fun weekend. I'm hoping to catch both games on TV.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

The ****ers, errr, I mean the Gophers are on a roll. If our defense holds up, this should be an exciting weekend. I know the games are on FOX WI, but I believe FOX North does the production for these (WI-MN) games. Regarding play-by-play, it would be cool to have a split booth. They tried that many years ago. I really liked it and I think the announcers did as well.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

Did anyone listen on the radio on Saturday? I'd be curious to see what feedback people have on Mike Heller filling in on the play-by-play. I think that was maybe his 2nd PBP broadcast for the Badgers.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Did anyone listen on the radio on Saturday? I'd be curious to see what feedback people have on Mike Heller filling in on the play-by-play. I think that was maybe his 2nd PBP broadcast for the Badgers.
    I was told he was bland, but that's expected. I wonder why Robb Vogel doesn't do it when Posick is on TV, I know he does the WPT broadcasts so why not radio? Kind of strange that Heller does hockey pbp. Hockey is rarely covered on his show and he even seems to satirize the sport.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

Sad Panda

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I was told he was bland, but that's expected. I wonder why Robb Vogel doesn't do it when Posick is on TV, I know he does the WPT broadcasts so why not radio? Kind of strange that Heller does hockey pbp. Hockey is rarely covered on his show and he even seems to satirize the sport.
    I have no idea why anyone would listen to Heller when he's calling a game. When you have Posick calling the game on TV, there isn't a need for the other option. I will agree that Vogel should be doing it if this comes up again.

I have no idea why anyone would listen to Heller when he's calling a game. When you have Posick calling the game on TV, there isn't a need for the other option. I will agree that Vogel should be doing it if this comes up again.
    Agreed. No need to try and get the streams together when Posick is on TV.

One irritating thing that I have seen this season, and I'm sure others will see it completely opposite, is that JD Greenway seems like he is playing with a chip on his shoulder and plays way more aggressively than he needs to.

This is something that I have objectively noticed while watching him play. He takes the little cheap shots right after the whistle, he talks A LOT on the ice while heading back to the bench.

This is backed up subjectively by the numbers. 23 penalties for 65 minutes, both numbers are good for top 20 in the country. The next closest on the team are Kunin and Tischke with 13 for 26.
    Greenway accounts for 16% of the penalties called and 20% of the penalty minutes.

**while looking up stats, I noticed something interesting. His brother, Jordan, is also towards the top in both categories**

Looking at this in terms of game impact, there are 3 games in which his actions outside of the play have caused us to work with a short D bench.
    1 - 4-Feb at Michigan State - 8:13 of the 2nd, Fighting Major and a game DQ after MSU scored their first goal. Thankfully MSU did not score on the power play (which was only a 3 minute since there was a matching 2 minute on MSU for roughing after the whistle), but we were still left with a short D bench for half of the game.
    2 - 10-Feb vs Penn State - DNP because of automatic 1-game suspension for fighting. PSU went on to score 6 goals. Granted, this isn't necessarily a "short bench" situation since you have the normal 6 guys suited up, but it still has an impact when you have to deal with a player being out for a game.
    3 - 18-Feb vs Michigan - 18:15 of the 2nd, Roughing (FROM THE BENCH!) and an additional 10 minute misconduct at the end of the 2nd for getting into it with an MSU player as he was coming out of the penalty box for intermission. MSU scores a game-equalizing goal while Greenway is sitting out his 10 minutes.

I don't have the time to do a full analysis of Greenway's penalties and what happens on the power plays that he gives the other team, but I would guess it isn't pretty.

I like the aggressive play, but it has to be smart aggressive play.

You're in the car, you are out of the geographic footprint of Fox Sports WI, you are local but don't pay for a cable/satellite package to get Fox Sports WI...there are a LOT of valid reasons why you would listen to the radio broadcast, especially with how easy you can do so with the I Heart Radio app on your phone.

Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature

Heller is a hockey guy.

Most people know nothing about college hockey, so it's not going to come up much on general sports talk shows.

One irritating thing that I have seen this season, and I'm sure others will see it completely opposite, is that JD Greenway seems like he is playing with a chip on his shoulder and plays way more aggressively than he needs to.

This is something that I have objectively noticed while watching him play. He takes the little cheap shots right after the whistle, he talks A LOT on the ice while heading back to the bench.

This is backed up subjectively by the numbers. 23 penalties for 65 minutes, both numbers are good for top 20 in the country. The next closest on the team are Kunin and Tischke with 13 for 26.
    Greenway accounts for 16% of the penalties called and 20% of the penalty minutes.

**while looking up stats, I noticed something interesting. His brother, Jordan, is also towards the top in both categories**

Looking at this in terms of game impact, there are 3 games in which his actions outside of the play have caused us to work with a short D bench.
    1 - 4-Feb at Michigan State - 8:13 of the 2nd, Fighting Major and a game DQ after MSU scored their first goal. Thankfully MSU did not score on the power play (which was only a 3 minute since there was a matching 2 minute on MSU for roughing after the whistle), but we were still left with a short D bench for half of the game.
    2 - 10-Feb vs Penn State - DNP because of automatic 1-game suspension for fighting. PSU went on to score 6 goals. Granted, this isn't necessarily a "short bench" situation since you have the normal 6 guys suited up, but it still has an impact when you have to deal with a player being out for a game.
    3 - 18-Feb vs Michigan - 18:15 of the 2nd, Roughing (FROM THE BENCH!) and an additional 10 minute misconduct at the end of the 2nd for getting into it with an MSU player as he was coming out of the penalty box for intermission. MSU scores a game-equalizing goal while Greenway is sitting out his 10 minutes.

I don't have the time to do a full analysis of Greenway's penalties and what happens on the power plays that he gives the other team, but I would guess it isn't pretty.

I like the aggressive play, but it has to be smart aggressive play.
    I like the aggressive play from JD and the chirping is fine too. Someone needs to have an edge on this team. Having said that, you can't take a fighting penalty like you're the 3rd Strobel out there, it's just foolish and shortchanges the team and in a year where the D has been leaky they need JD out there as much as possible

A little alumni update, was there ever a player in the league that needed a change of scenery more than Justin Schultz.

In about two months, he went from never playing in the playoffs and people doubting his ability to being a Stanley Cup champ.

This year he has 9G 30A and a plus 31. He already has a career high in assists and points with about 25 games left.

Nic Kerdiles is making his NHL debut tonight for the Ducks against Boston.

Thread Information