This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

At least we managed to grab one win. Better come out hard vs Ohio State next weekend.

I don't know about any of you, but PSU is by far my least favorite Big Ten team.
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

I think when Bunz whacked that one in you could tell it wasn't going to be our night. I thought the boys actually played better in the first tonight, but sometimes it just won't get in the net. Missed Tischke out there, it really stood out to me because on the rushes Peter is such a good skater he can close the F's off early and take them to the wall. The other guys, and really most college D, have to keep a gap space so they don't get beat to the post and it gives a lot more time and space for plays to develop.

I wouldn't worry about the score, other than that the top line with the big boys was shutdown this weekend, I think the Badgers will be just fine come Friday night. All in all, great to get some must have points on the road.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

That was not a fun game to watch, but a split on the weekend is adequate. I very much want to see them take care of business against OSU now, though, and do as much for themselves as they can before the conference tournaments. Running into Penn State on a good night for them at the big ten tourney worries me.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          At least we managed to grab one win. Better come out hard vs Ohio State next weekend.

I don't know about any of you, but PSU is by far my least favorite Big Ten team.
          Me too. I can handle all the other teams & fans; not just the Big Ten, but ALL of them. (Notre Dame is on hold for now.) Just something about Ped State. Oh, I know what it is.

I agree with everybody, wasn't our night, Tisch out, forget the score. File it. Reset. Ohio State.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
            After a couple of very close games that ended up in a split, here is where we are:
            18-11-1
            We continue to climb, now up to 238 votes, good for 16th place in the poll
            RPI jumps up to 13
            PWR also climbs to 13
            Team O, 3.74 - 7th
            Team D, 3.23 - 45th
            PP, 35/156 22.44% - 9th
            PK, 113/130 86.9% - 5th
            I don't know that I have ever seen a more lopsided weekend. Take the good pieces from Friday and bury the tape from Saturday, I'm not sure what good can come from that one.

But still, we hold true to the "split on the road" portion of the formula for success and it was against a higher ranked team, so I'll take it. Now we just need to take care of the "sweep at home" end of things.

19-12-1
            We continue to climb in votes received, now up to 282 votes, which is still good for 16th place in the poll
            RPI holds steady at 13
            PWR also holds at 13 (tied with Notre Dame)
            Team O, 3.66 - 7th
            Team D, 3.34 - 49th
            PP, 35/158 22.15% - 9th
            PK, 117/137 85.4% - 12th

For the last weekend of the regular season we get to see Ohio State at the Kohl Center.
            19-12-1
            291 votes, 15th
            RPI - 17th
            PWR - 17th
            Team O, 4.00 - 3rd
            Team D, 3.03 - 37th
            PP, 44/138 31.88% - 1st
            PK, 102/140 72.9% - 58th

Both teams are in the dangerous bubble territory going into the last weekend of the season before the B1G tournament. A sweep by either team could lock up their post-season hopes, while getting swept would leave either team playing for the tournament champion auto-bid. It looks like Wisconsin's range with a sweep would be 9 - 14, OSU with a sweep would be 11-15.

Ohio Sate has 4 players who are averaging better than a point per game in conference play, let by Mason Jobst who has 11-19-30 in 18; that is good for 2nd in the league in total points.

The numbers are all over the place in this match-up. Both teams can score, both struggle to keep the other team from scoring. Both teams excel on the power play (if you look at just conference games, OSU is converting at an amazing 39.71%).

The one saving point may be the PK. Wisconsin is far ahead of OSU in both overall PK (85.4% to 72.9%) and conference play (81.5% to 71.2%).

It should be a fun weekend, I'll be there (like always). You get the combination of Sr. Weekend as well as a visit from the 1977 NCAA champs.

Comment

A sweep this weekend would really go a long way to help lock in the PWR that the Badgers need to get into the tournament.

Getting both wins would move us to 11th, going 1-1 would drop us to 14th.
              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Both Merrimack and NMU dropped their playoff game 3's Sunday which both hurt our RPI a touch. And in the PWR current form, it's pretty much only RPI that matters except in odd circumstances.

We could be in an odd situation that who we play in the first Tourney game could determine whether or not we have to win it to get a bid. Losing to the Michigans for example could be a killer, but losing to PSU might not change things if we're under the bubble.

In any case, Bucky has to just win games. Which is fair enough. If you can't win games now, you probably don't deserve a bid.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Another interesting point to keep an eye on is early scoring, what a shock

OSU has had 17 games where they led after 1, they are 13-2-2; but then when leading after 2 they are only 6-2-2. When they are trailing after 1 they are 1-6-3 and after 2 are 5-4-2.
                  Wisconsin has not lost when leading after 1, with a mark of 9-0-0 and when leading after 2 are 12-4-1. When trailing after 1 they are 6-11-1 and after 2 are 3-7-0.

Score early, score often...I feel like I've typed that before.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                    Another interesting point to keep an eye on is early scoring, what a shock

OSU has had 17 games where they led after 1, they are 13-2-2; but then when leading after 2 they are only 6-2-2. When they are trailing after 1 they are 1-6-3 and after 2 are 5-4-2.
                    Wisconsin has not lost when leading after 1, with a mark of 9-0-0 and when leading after 2 are 12-4-1. When trailing after 1 they are 6-11-1 and after 2 are 3-7-0.

Score early, score often...I feel like I've typed that before.
                    It appears more specifically that our magic number is 2. When the Badgers give up 2+ goals in the 1st, their chance to win drops drastically:

* When giving up zero or one goal in the first, the Badgers are 15-3 (.833)

* When giving up 2+ goals in the first, they are only 4-9-1 (.321). They are 0-5 in games they are down 0-2.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTheTurk View Post
                      It appears more specifically that our magic number is 2. When the Badgers give up 2+ goals in the 1st, their chance to win drops drastically:

* When giving up 2+ goals in the first, they are only 4-9-1 (.321). They are 0-5 in games they are down 0-2.
                      Those are significant numbers....thanks. I think that these bear out when you consider how well (typically) UW has played in the 2nd period this season. If you are playing well from a one goal deficit or tied after a period you will probably win. If you are playing well when already down by 2+, it might already be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTheTurk View Post

I'd guess that giving up 2+ in the first is probably a fairly universal sign of bad news for any given team.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Bump to move Asian spam off first page.

Comment

• Bump
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Bump to move Asian spam off first page.
                                Freaking North Koreans.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X