This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

The interest for me started to drop for college hockey when the conferences changed. I still miss the old wcha. I am fully aware it is long gone. The 6 team conference was boring and on top of that they stunk for a few years. Gopher games even stopped becoming interesting to me when the switch to th B1G happened. With NDame coming along helps a little.

This team is fun to watch and is getting my interest back. Hockey is an after thought to most in the area. That doesn't bother me a bit it doesn't change how much fun this game is to play and watch. People at my work say it is too fast and the rules are difficult. This puts a smile on my face and I say have fun watching basketball.

Comment

I have to say the line of Hughes - Frederic - Mayor of Dangle City has looked really, really good in the last two outings. Could turn into something special this year.

Bit of a funny game last night. If all players were burying chances at open nets, score should have been something like 8-4 or 9-5. Boys played hard and were really dominant in getting the puck, but it was pretty sloppy, and a little better performance from the Saints could have changed the game. I thought Hayton wasn't really sharp on his lines or on getting eyeballs on the puck at times either, not that I fault him on the first goal. That was just a terrible lapse by Inamoto.

I'm guessing St Lawrence will try to make some adjustments on the angles their D were taking because Badgers were just blowing by them with the extra room on the ice all night. Expect the Badgers to clean up their play, and also bear down and put the puck in the net on their chances.

On attendance it's not all bad news. Averaging a little over 8400 tickets sold (even though nobody is apparently sitting in the seats) for these 4 early games, which is about as good as sales have been in about 6 years for October games. That would indicate a not insignificant uptick in season tickets sold over the last couple of years at least. Next week will probably be a better indicator although I don't expect spectacular numbers, 20-22k for the weekend would probably be really good this early.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        I have to say the line of Hughes - Frederic - Mayor of Dangle City has looked really, really good in the last two outings. Could turn into something special this year.

Bit of a funny game last night. If all players were burying chances at open nets, score should have been something like 8-4 or 9-5. Boys played hard and were really dominant in getting the puck, but it was pretty sloppy, and a little better performance from the Saints could have changed the game. I thought Hayton wasn't really sharp on his lines or on getting eyeballs on the puck at times either, not that I fault him on the first goal. That was just a terrible lapse by Inamoto.

I'm guessing St Lawrence will try to make some adjustments on the angles their D were taking because Badgers were just blowing by them with the extra room on the ice all night. Expect the Badgers to clean up their play, and also bear down and put the puck in the net on their chances.

On attendance it's not all bad news. Averaging a little over 8400 tickets sold (even though nobody is apparently sitting in the seats) for these 4 early games, which is about as good as sales have been in about 6 years for October games. That would indicate a not insignificant uptick in season tickets sold over the last couple of years at least. Next week will probably be a better indicator although I don't expect spectacular numbers, 20-22k for the weekend would probably be really good this early.
        I'm curious of your thoughts on the Dhoogue (spelling?) brothers? I'm not that impressed so far this year. I have only watched 4 games though.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
          I'm curious of your thoughts on the Dhoogue (spelling?) brothers? I'm not that impressed so far this year. I have only watched 4 games though.
          I've watched all the games, and I think Jason Dhooghe is in the right role. He's a good skater and is a ball of energy out there. Is he better than Labosky in that role? I don't know, it's close and he's probably a little better on his skates, Labosky seems to see the ice pretty well and it feels like either of them could do something good at any given time. Jason might be better with the puck, but we haven't seen him that much to really make a good call. I think he's doing fine though.

With Sean -- I would love to see him succeed as much as anyone as I'm a huge fan of the under dog. But so far I just don't see it. He does some good things, I think he positions well and sees the ice ok, but he has to be a guy that produces chances for himself or his linemates. So far I think he's way too easy to knock off the puck, and I think he loses way too many 50/50 pucks to not be a liability. Individually at times he flashes his speed, and he has the right instincts to create something, but he's just getting overwhelmed. One thing about the Mayor of Dangle City is that even as a freshman and a small guy, he was incredibly strong on his stick and could protect. I don't see that at all from Sean and it's not because he isn't a physically a strong kid.

To me he's playing like a much smaller Zimmer. A guy with a lot of skills that still hasn't figured out how to use them to his advantage at this level. Zimms and Dhooge should have been blowing by Saints like you saw Hughes and Malone and Johnson and TMoDC do a ton of times last night, but they just weren't. That line wasn't good considering the competition, and I actually thought Ustaski was pretty good last night. He just was doing a lot of it by himself.

I'm not in practice so I don't see what the coaches see, but based on games, I'd probably give Sean a night off, move Ford up and see what Zirbel can do for us. In my mind, at some point your play and production has to justify the spot and ice time your getting.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Not good. SLU is a team who UW needs to destroy.

While I'm at it I'm going to say it... I'm not seeing the same hayton that others have. Seems like a good goalie not a great goalie.
            Also not impressed with the dhoogie kids but enough with the negativity.

Baker is going to be a **** good player and the team is generally headed in the right direction.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              Yeah, I didn't see the wins in Massachusetts or the Saturday in Green Bay, but it really seems like this team can be great, but sometimes they're just...not. Earlier, I was thinking one Hayton injury would significantly hurt the Badgers. Then I see them dominate all areas in another game and yeah, they're freaking great. Then there's this loss to SLU.

Baker is going to be a **** good player and the team is generally headed in the right direction.
              All hail the bread-baking bread guy!

Another bit of positivity...crowd was (within the context of everything we've discussed recently) decentish, and the student section wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, and most of those who were there felt like UW hockey fans who know what UW hockey games are "supposed" to be. (I did avoid looking behind me for the most part to stay sane, because the numbers paint a drastically different picture.)
              Last edited by WiscDC; 10-28-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Kalynuk scored his second first goal of the season tonight, and he'll be searching for his third first goal next week...apparently Wagner got it!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

While I'm at it I'm going to say it... I'm not seeing the same hayton that others have. Seems like a good goalie not a great goalie.
                  Also not impressed with the dhoogie kids but enough with the negativity.

Didn’t Hayton only let in 1 of the 5 goals tonight?
                  St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                  4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                  2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                  16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                  9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                  2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                    Didn’t Hayton only let in 1 of the 5 goals tonight?
                    Yes, it was SLU's only SOG at him. I can't blame him; he came in cold and that was one wicked top cheddar wrister.

Berry wasn't in the game - figuratively. If I recall at one point SLU had 8 shots and 3 goals. We had our chances but didn't finish. Mr. Brey had a **** good weekend against UW. I think they're happy with him.

BTW, I stayed until the handshake. Almost every SLU player hugged Hayton.....the coach didn't. There was virtually nobody there when the Badgers did their crowd salute. I really felt bad for them.
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-28-2017, 11:34 PM.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      .... Another bit of positivity...crowd was (within the context of everything we've discussed recently) decentish, and the student section wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, and most of those who were there felt like UW hockey fans who know what UW hockey games are "supposed" to be. (I did avoid looking behind me for the most part to stay sane, because the numbers paint a drastically different picture.)
                      Half of the first level for students isn't good. They tried to bring energy. I really picked a lemon game to watch this team for the first time live, it really was a stinker. They have to beat these type of teams to be elite.

Last I am extremely concerned about the offense with loss of Don. It just wasn't pretty.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                        They tried to bring energy.
                        That's pretty much it. The students who left really early to presumably do other Halloween stuff I didn't even expect to make it in the first place (I wouldn't have been surprised by a Thanksgiving or week-of-New-Year's situation), and by this year's standards, getting everyone to audibly chant "who's the real Phil?" was a relief, even though that's par for the course when 210 had students. :/

Anyway, big opponent coming to town next week, and their fans tend to be nice to others.........so be sure to be kindly helpful by making sure they correctly refer to their team as the Hawks, which they have a surprisingly difficult time with! First 4-home-game Badger Hockey weekend of the year too, with OSU in town at LaBahn. Be sure to spam @badgerband (or send a flock of carrier pigeons if you don't have twitter account) about that getting to that one.
                        Last edited by WiscDC; 10-29-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I think TG outsmarted himself on the Berry start. It's the Hayton bus, let him drive. He got a night off last week, but playing only 2 games a week shouldn't be taxing anyway. Last night was just a pile of doodoo, they cannot have games like that.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            I think TG outsmarted himself on the Berry start. It's the Hayton bus, let him drive. He got a night off last week, but playing only 2 games a week shouldn't be taxing anyway. Last night was just a pile of doodoo, they cannot have games like that.
                            puppy on carpet doodoo???
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              puppy on carpet doodoo???
                              You wouldn't have to worry about that if you keep the puppies in a box. Unless they somehow manage to get out of the box...

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                                You wouldn't have to worry about that if you keep the puppies in a box. Unless they somehow manage to get out of the box...
                                Then they start climbing the hill....
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X