X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Great to finally get the win @ BC. All credit to Hayton on this one. He was really good tonight, and the boys cashed in on a few opportunities to get the job done.
    He is going to be a difference maker this year. This is a team that will grow and get better, but having a goalie like that behind them will allow them to improve because of what they know what they have between the pipes.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      He is going to be a difference maker this year. This is a team that will grow and get better, but having a goalie like that behind them will allow them to improve because of what they know what they have between the pipes.
      Agree 100%. It's great to have that brick wall behind the boys in case of mistakes. With respect to last year's 'tendies, we didn't have that.

I watched the stream on ESPN3 (8" tab, not a TV). No issues at all, even the "chowdah heads" calling get the game.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

In my mind this summer, adding Hayton immediately made the Badgers a serious contender. I'd say that Jack and Matty turned in some spectacular performances but were dramatically inconsistent last year. Perhaps Matt more than Jack, but to be fair, Jurusic battled significant injuries all year. From what we've seen so far with Kyle, his bad nights and his good ones are pretty close to the same thing. And his good ones are really good.

I'll be interested to see if Tony tinkers with the lines at all tonight. I'm not sure they're set the way they could be yet. I'm also a bit concerned that Dhooghe is struggling to make the transition to college hockey. I know Donny was always very high on him and he came up big in some big games for the U-18's but he really seems to be struggling with just 3 SOG over 4 games and no points to his credit. His quickness and acceleration to get separation were big for him, but so far, that's not showing up as the same advantage for him here. He's got a lot of talent but I think right now it's a bit of a conundrum as to what to do with him, especially when you have guys sitting that can at the least get in there and win some puck battles for you. We'll see, it's very early but I've got my eye on Mr. Dhooghe.

Conversly, Baker is really working his way up the ladder. Won't be surprised to see him show up in the top six soon.

Depth on this team is terrific. Almost forgetting that we also have Greenway sitting around somewhere doing something.... who knows what?

Merrimack will have fresh legs, so the boys are going to have to really man up tonight and get after it.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

#9 stood out for you guys. I see he's a freshman. Should be a good player.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            Agree 100%. It's great to have that brick wall behind the boys in case of mistakes. With respect to last year's 'tendies, we didn't have that.

I watched the stream on ESPN3 (8" tab, not a TV). No issues at all, even the "chowdah heads" calling get the game.
            The color guy said he talked to a NHL Scout who said Wisconsin's forwards were good, defense average and goalie was bad. Inamoto was Eyeamoto, Freytag was Freetag and Davison was Davidson. The UW website has a little button you can push and it pronounces the player's names for you...shouldn't be real hard to get the names correct.

Comment

I figured Baker was moving up the lineup after last week. I thought Freytag, Zimmer and Ustaski did not look good last week.

The lineup last night to me seemed to be guys most likely to score in an effort to get the offensive production up, and it worked, although there still were not a lot of shots. The fourth line looked great last night flying around the ice and they got a lot of ice time in the second period and more than usual in the third.

They took 15 forwards and 7 defensemen along so I'd guess we'll see some different forwards tonight. Hurley is the 7th d.

Dhooghe did some good things they just have not necessarily been things that have gotten him offensive chances.

I'd say the team was opportunistic last night after being outshot. Hayton makes a hell of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                I figured Baker was moving up the lineup after last week. I thought Freytag, Zimmer and Ustaski did not look good last week.

The lineup last night to me seemed to be guys most likely to score in an effort to get the offensive production up, and it worked, although there still were not a lot of shots. The fourth line looked great last night flying around the ice and they got a lot of ice time in the second period and more than usual in the third.

They took 15 forwards and 7 defensemen along so I'd guess we'll see some different forwards tonight. Hurley is the 7th d.

Dhooghe did some good things they just have not necessarily been things that have gotten him offensive chances.

I'd say the team was opportunistic last night after being outshot. Hayton makes a hell of a difference.

I saw in the score sheet that Dhooghe was +3 which seemed wrong to me so I checked. He was in fact the last change and at the bench on Freddy's goal, so technically that counts, he was at the wall on Timmy's goal off the face off which also counts, but #34, not #24 was on the ice for Baker's ENG. So technically Freddy should be +2, Sean +2. I'll send a telegram to the President of Hockey to get this corrected ASAP, naturally.

I don't want to just bag on Dhooghe, he seems to see the game well and positions himself well, and I think he can produce. And I certainly want him to succeed. But I will say in the 1st last night he lost all of his 50/50 pucks like he wasn't even there and all of his puck touches went from his stick directly to a BC stick. All of them. Maybe he's lacking some confidence and is perhaps indecisive because of that. Maybe his line just isn't working together right. Maybe something else. I'm just saying he has to do more to stay in the lineup on this team.

He did get nicely smushed into the wall to draw a penalty, which was good!
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Some very telling quotes on importance of Kyle Hayton:

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big...ato-max-zimmer
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Wonderful weekend for the team.

Todd Milewski has been doing Facebook Live sessions after the game. Only been a few of us checking them out, but it's good to give him the support for what he's doing.

https://www.facebook.com/ToddDMilewski/
                    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                      Wonderful weekend for the team.

Todd Milewski has been doing Facebook Live sessions after the game. Only been a few of us checking them out, but it's good to give him the support for what he's doing.

https://www.facebook.com/ToddDMilewski/
                      I saw the link for the first time last night; I'll be sure to keep watching those. It's been good to see Todd pumping out hockey stuff non-stop, not just on weekends.

This definitely seems like a really fun team to watch on the ice. I'd be watching anyway, but I'm glad.

Comment

Didn't get to watch or listen last night except for the post game, but great weekend for the boys on the road. Here's a link to a few highlights from Merrimack.

Two things I like: Look at Ford spring that puck free and get it out top on Zimmer's redirect from Tischke. And look at Wags and Big Matt get to the front of the net when the puck goes high on Wag's redirect. That's how you score goals!

Two things we have to be better at: Winning face offs. Somewhat surprising 55-84 (39%) on the weekend. I think of it because I remember Tony talking about Baker on Friday and mentioning how he was winning face offs in there... but Baker had only 7 wins in 22 draws Friday. (He still played great) And the Larsson boys ate our lunch in the circle going 27-9 W/L last night. That definitely has to be better.

Second, the PP has to get going. Which does often take a little while to come together, but there's way too much talent on this team to be 2 for 16 with no goals coming out of the set up. I'm not worried, just noting that it has to get going. Tough opponents coming up and winning FO's and getting a timely PP goal here and there are going to be huge difference makers.

Hayton was awesome this weekend.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Didn't get to watch or listen last night except for the post game, but great weekend for the boys on the road. Here's a link to a few highlights from Merrimack.

Two things I like: Look at Ford spring that puck free and get it out top on Zimmer's redirect from Tischke. And look at Wags and Big Matt get to the front of the net when the puck goes high on Wag's redirect. That's how you score goals!

Two things we have to be better at: Winning face offs. Somewhat surprising 55-84 (39%) on the weekend. I think of it because I remember Tony talking about Baker on Friday and mentioning how he was winning face offs in there... but Baker had only 7 wins in 22 draws Friday. (He still played great) And the Larsson boys ate our lunch in the circle going 27-9 W/L last night. That definitely has to be better.

Second, the PP has to get going. Which does often take a little while to come together, but there's way too much talent on this team to be 2 for 16 with no goals coming out of the set up. I'm not worried, just noting that it has to get going. Tough opponents coming up and winning FO's and getting a timely PP goal here and there are going to be huge difference makers.

Hayton was awesome this weekend.
                          I like how Hayton just turned around and waived to the students at the end of that highlight video.

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
                            I like how Hayton just turned around and waived to the students at the end of that highlight video.
                            Kyle can be feisty like that in a good way (at least its good when he's wearing your sweater). Hope the Badgers see a lot of Mile High Salutes this season...except when the Saints visit at the end of the month!

Comment

Great eastern sweep, exorcised the BC curse. Now they need to get over the NM hump and sweep these guys. The depth on the team is very impressive. Hayton is a pretty decent pick-up.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

6th? Who'd a thunk? I can't wait to watch Oz do the weekly press conference. He kinda mesmerizes you when you watch him speak.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X