This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

meh... it's early and with 3 frosh on the blue line we're going to have some break downs. We're not going to win many games with 20 SOG either.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

The last 12 minutes of the game you could just feel it coming... Lots of standing and watching.

Comment

A few random thoughts...

- Hayton looked very poised for much of the game although I think he'd want that first one back.

- The crowds are getting smaller. I don't think I've seen a smaller crowd and that's saying something. Sad although I believe this will change over time... I hope. It's gonna take a lot longer than many thought though and even if it improves, will never again be what it was.

- Wagner was very active and noticeable. Loved his game and best Badger by far.

- Ohio State plays a wretchedly boring style. Not much flow to that game at all. Which leads to...

- The Badgers never solved OSU's effective clogging up of the middle and neutral zone. Too often we tried to make the extra pass to a covered teammate or through a clogged passing lane when there was a chance to get the puck on net. Shoot the freaking puck and crash the net. Very frustrating to watch us pass up opportunity after opportunity only to turn it over. Credit to OSU. It worked.

- Was cool to see Tarek's first goal in person. Tarek was good to my son at various summer hockey camp things around here back in the day which made an impression on my kid who is several years younger. In addition, my son played HS with both of his brothers and his sister was on his/my (I was a coach) cross-ice team many, many years ago.

This was the first game my son has come to in several years and I could see that he really enjoyed Tarek's goal for likely many reasons.

- Unfortunately, after the PS goal, OSU turned it up and we failed to respond. They dominated the rest of the way and got the win.

To sum up... I'm not one to yell "SHOOOOOOT!!!" at games, but I was starting to last night.

Quit trying to be cute and shoot the ****ing puck!

Comment

The top line was the only line that showed some offensive juice consistently, the rest of the F's could not get anything going, though I'll say Malone and Hughes had a few flashes. Very frustrating to watch. Hopefully we're not seeing the absence of DG there and just a team figuring out how to play together and execute the plan.

I like the way Hayton looked, I'll keep thinking that the on his back back door save in the second was all skill and no luck.

Love going 5 hole on the PS, dude never knew what hit him.

The penalty call discrepancy was a pile of dodo. They missed some calls against OSU for sure and the call on Hughes was garbage.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I concur with you guys. You have a goalie who had a melt down a week ago against an inferior team and we force him to make about 6 saves/period. Not the game plan I'm sure.

Hughes himself wasn't playing bad, but that line was terrible at generating anything. Just shoot the freakin' puck! Biggest player on the ice isn't doing much good just skating circles. Fire it and get to the net for crying out loud! Wouldn't be surprised if there's a shake up already, as Seamus' line mates didn't generate much either. 6 shots total from those 6 players on 2nd and 3rd lines. Although it's obviously only the 2nd game...

Baker was great on the PS and good all around. PK was outstanding. Wags, Freddy, Jake, and Peter were really good at pressuring and getting the puck back vs. the OSU top unit. Although Hayton looks to really handle himself well in there, I thought he was very average last night. Blind luck prevented 4 goals on 24 shots which would make for an .833. SV%. That's not even considering another inch on the two pipe jobs and he wouldn't have survived the game. That's not going to get the job done. Especially with some young D trying to get up to speed.

Having bashed the boys, all credit to OSU. They came in and did exactly what it they wanted to do. Dictated play, clogged it up, won battles, and had a very good performance.

Hopefully the Badgers take the lesson, wake up and play their game much more tonight.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              - The crowds are getting smaller. I don't think I've seen a smaller crowd and that's saying something. Sad although I believe this will change over time... I hope. It's gonna take a lot longer than many thought though and even if it improves, will never again be what it was.
              The crowds are still feeling the effects of that 2012-14 stretch of apathy. And yes, that stretch includes a pretty good team and a downright elite team, but "college hockey" itself fell off the map, and teaching people to care is harder than hoping they'll drop 24 bucks on a team they heard might be good. But I've definitely seen worse. It was horrific for sure, but I'd classify it as a "UW Hockey, as a whole, is in serious trouble" crowd, rather than a "this isn't even a shell of its former self, this is what I see on BTN when watching Ohio State games -- something entirely different" crowd.

(Again, it was definitely horrific. If you showed me last night's crowd 5 years ago, I would have thought that that was below the floor that the crowds could hit. Knowing what I know now...it's not as far below that floor as some other crowds.)

I know I've written paragraphs upon paragraphs on this before, so I'll spare everyone from that, but you're right on about getting crowds back something that will take a long, long time (i.e. many, many years), and letting the culture around the fan base stagnate 4+ years ago would rear its ugly head down the road. This also came up 2 years ago with the decision to not fire Eaves - one more year without incredibly massive (and obvious to the public) change was much more than one year of trying to rebuild what they had.

The biggest issue is that it's not about fans coming "back." Fans and local media alike have been talking about the fans "coming back." I know what they mean - fill the Kohl Center again - but it makes it sound so easy. It makes it sound like the way demand for Maple Leafs tickets went down when they were terrible, where all the local residents and kids growing up were still becoming Maple Leafs fans. Big Badgers hockey fans coming back is not the issue. Many users of this board already came back. You stopped going to games, UW gave you a good reason to attend games again, and you attended games again. The issue is would-be fans never becoming fans in the first place. If people aren't into college hockey at all, they're not going to care about the team like you do.

To describe the team itself as a "sleeping giant" would be fair. To describe the UW hockey fan base as such would be optimistically ignorant, because there aren't 15,000 people in the area posting on the USCHO board. If somebody isn't already engaged in the activity of being a fan - going to some games is one thing, but following them and being emotionally attached (even if you can't get to many games) is what makes a fan engaged. Think about all the students and other locals in the area in the past 6+ years who simply haven't been exposed to any kind of buzz around this team. Many of those people, if they were here 10 years ago, would have become UW Hockey fans, all else being equal.

That's why I've maintained that they (i.e. the athletic department) absolutely have to treat UW men's hockey like it's a brand new major D-I program, like Penn State. Not literally; UW has plenty of history to help hype it up, but they cannot just fall back on "Wisconsin hockey has the best fans and we believe in them." They've been stepping it up tremendously in the past couple of years, but it is a long way to stretch from 2011 to now.

I know I said I'd spare the long paragraphs (this was nothing ), so I'll finish with a positive - despite small numbers overall, the student section had plenty of newbies get a surprisingly good taste of what the student section is supposed to be like, from actually being engaged all game to improvising chants (and it wasn't just older alumni). After Sunday's opener, I legitimately feared that we were past the point of no return on that front - the percentage of diehard fans were too low compared to the rest to bounce back. I was pleasantly shocked, all things considered. Of course, the newbies saw what the rest of the Kohl Center looked like (which doesn't exactly leave a "UW Hockey is a big effing deal; get into it!" impression), but it was better than some recent games---it is definitely worth making it a "thing" in your life if you're a sports fan at UW. Like the rest of the crowd, it'll take a very long time to get it back, but I do have hope that it's on track (having feared it was all the way off the track).
              Last edited by WiscDC; 10-07-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

One thing I'll belabor here is look at the PSU student section bringing in banners and all manner of fun stuff. They remind me of 80's-early 90's badgers student sections. Alvarez needs to tell the KC to let the kids have fun, it's infectious for kids and adults.

When I went to my first game in 84 or 85 with my dad we were blown away by the team and the "why haven't we been watching this all of our lives??!" Feeling. That was equal parts success of the team and the vociferous crowds.

Tm2 all played at the height of badger hockey. They get it and I'm sure they've got a handle on what needs to be done not just in the ice.
                For his part, Tony all but demanding Nodak back on the schedule is a great thing for the old timers and I wouldn't doubt he puts a bug in the AD's ear about making the kohl more fun.

Maybe they could have former stars like Heatley, Richter, Chelios, CUJO, Rafalski and more come back and make guest appearances at the KC where they do intermission interviews or talk with fans etc
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

A good bounce back win, with some adversity on top trying to hold the lead in the 3rd. Let's clean up out east this weekend lads.

Comment

The season is in full swing after a home series and this thread is dead. What is wrong with you people?

What is the over/under for Berry's total starts this season? Under 4?

Comment

You might want to book your travel and hotel for the Frozen Four right now...

Wisconsin is sitting at #5 in the RPI and also #5 in the PWR

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        The season is in full swing after a home series and this thread is dead. What is wrong with you people?
                        Well, what is there to say, other than people really aren't embracing the breadiness of Tarek Baker's name like they should?

I suppose I could start $нiтposting here...

T-------F
                        R-------R
                        E L I T E
                        N-------D
                        T-------E
                        --------R
                        --------I
                        --------C

Edit: and if you're ever near Bucky, ask him about his pants.

Edit2: Does anyone have any wildly speculative H O T T A K E S on JD Greenway?
                        Last edited by WiscDC; 10-11-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

For those of you who don't subscribe to the recruiting thread:

Todd wrote an article about Caufield: Badgers men's hockey: No longer committed to Ohio State, Cole Caufield will generate interest

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                            T-------F
                            R-------R
                            E L I T E
                            N-------D
                            T-------E
                            --------R
                            --------I
                            --------C
                            Looks better on twitter. I don't know why it's so hard to line things up on the site, it is annoying.

Comment

All this recruiting stuff is just getting me jacked up for this weekend. Granato is a genius, he may have a hockey mind greater than mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                All this recruiting stuff is just getting me jacked up for this weekend. Granato is a genius, he may have a hockey mind greater than mine.
                                Based on UW’s last couple trips out to Boston, he’ll reach hockey savant status as long as he can keep the BC game close.

Comment

Working...
                                X