Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 567

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

  1. #341
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    8,788

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    I'm thinking of surprising the Mrs. and flying her home for the UND series (as she is a Sue fan.)
    I guess it's true, love knows no bounds. Maybe I should not have dumped that gopher girl after all, then I'd be not nearly happy as I am now.

    So I must say it's a little shocking to see TG downright telling Kunin to leave. I appreciate his honesty and not being politically correct.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  2. #342
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I guess it's true, love knows no bounds. Maybe I should not have dumped that gopher girl after all, then I'd be not nearly happy as I am now.

    So I must say it's a little shocking to see TG downright telling Kunin to leave. I appreciate his honesty and not being politically correct.
    I got lucky with this one. She is a Badger fan when they are not playing Sue. Odd lady, but she would have to be to be with me for almost 20 years.

    In regards to Tony's comments. He couldn't have said it better. Those kinds of comments will gain the respect of every player on the team if Kunin stays or not.

    Gotta figure everyone would want a coach like that.

  3. #343
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,143

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Let's see...

    - Glut of good-ish forwards already on the roster
    - Plenty of other forward prospects in the pipeline

    A few other superficial similarities and this sounds a lot like what Nic Kerdiles faced.

    Obviously no two situations are truly alike (and TG sure makes it feel like a foregone conclusion), but I suppose there's a non-zero chance that between that and the Wild's history of patience with prospects can give us a reprieve.

    Of course, all that competition might just get his juices flowing and make him leave quicker. Lord knows I'll never know anything like what he's going through right now.

  4. #344
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stevens Point
    Posts
    278

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Thanks! And I agree about prospects playing 4th line time.

    Based on Milewski's tweet about his conversation with Tony it doesn't look all that promising:

    I do see that #18 overall pick Alex Tuch who is a heck of a player is in Iowa. 20th overall Joel Eriksson-Ek has been up briefly and is in Sweden. Jordan Greenway is also expected to leave this year. It's a bit of a glut of high end forwards trying to get a spot. Kunin also could sign and find himself traded the next day. Or in Vegas. Who knows?
    Tuch has been up with the big squad I believe two times and I think he can be somewhat lazy/unassertive in his play. Probably why he didn't stick around long either time. Eriksson Ek on the other hand is a completely different story. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the lineup during the NHL playoffs. He did really well in his 9 game stint at the beginning of the year. He's good in the d-zone. 100% effort guy. Not sure who he would replace unless they slide Haula to wing. He is the replacement for Koivu in the long run. I actually haven't heard anything about Jordan Greenway leaving.

    It's kinda cool that the Wild had Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, and Greenway beasting at the WJC.

    If Kunin wants to make the big club I'd think he be best served to wait a year. The Wild won't be able to afford re-signing Haula unless he wants under $1m in cap hit. Eriksson Ek will replace him one would assume because he's better (and personally I think Kunin is better on the wing). In one year's time the Wild could have trouble re-signing Zucker(and Dumba), who plays Kunin's position at RW, with the little amount of cap hit they have while still being strapped with Pominiville's $5.6m cap hit and the additions of the big contracts Nino and Granlund are bound to sign this summer. That's where Kunin's $.925m cap hit is the most valuable.

    I just don't see a spot for him on next year's big league team unless they trade Pominville.

    Does Kunin want to play for the Iowa Wild or get his degree? That's the question that will determine his decision in my opinion.
    Stevens Point Hockey!! Dibs on runner up!
    National Champions 89' 90' 91' 93' 16'
    Runner Up 92' 98' 14' 15'

    Wisconsin Hockey: Home of the Mark Osiecki death stare!
    National Champions 73' 77' 81' 83' 90' 06'

  5. #345
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    2,994

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
    Tuch has been up with the big squad I believe two times and I think he can be somewhat lazy/unassertive in his play. Probably why he didn't stick around long either time. Eriksson Ek on the other hand is a completely different story. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the lineup during the NHL playoffs. He did really well in his 9 game stint at the beginning of the year. He's good in the d-zone. 100% effort guy. Not sure who he would replace unless they slide Haula to wing. He is the replacement for Koivu in the long run. I actually haven't heard anything about Jordan Greenway leaving.

    It's kinda cool that the Wild had Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, and Greenway beasting at the WJC.

    If Kunin wants to make the big club I'd think he be best served to wait a year. The Wild won't be able to afford re-signing Haula unless he wants under $1m in cap hit. Eriksson Ek will replace him one would assume because he's better (and personally I think Kunin is better on the wing). In one year's time the Wild could have trouble re-signing Zucker(and Dumba), who plays Kunin's position at RW, with the little amount of cap hit they have while still being strapped with Pominiville's $5.6m cap hit and the additions of the big contracts Nino and Granlund are bound to sign this summer. That's where Kunin's $.925m cap hit is the most valuable.

    I just don't see a spot for him on next year's big league team unless they trade Pominville.

    Does Kunin want to play for the Iowa Wild or get his degree? That's the question that will determine his decision in my opinion.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention Kaprizov, the Russian WJ captain, is in there too. I've seen some speculation that the Wild could put a prospect with a player in a deal to protect their D from the expansion draft for Vegas as well. Which could work for or against Luke, I guess, but it does add another element of uncertainty. Ultimately I'd guess it's a couple of year plan for all these first rounders to be on the team together.

    Waiting a year makes sense to me. Let the Wild sort out their cap and trades, have a chance to be an All-American, a Hobey Finalist, play in the Frozen Four. I can't think of a single guy hurt by coming back for their Junior year. I can think of several hurt by going early. But in spite of that, 95% of them do go, don't they. No doubt it's a tough decision when it's your dream to play in the NHL.

    Assuming Luke leaves, he's scored a bunch of big goals here, but I have to say that this play is going to be one play that sticks with me for a long time. Freddy serves it up for exactly the shot we want Luke to take .... but Luke doesn't shoot! Ugh! If you watch it a few times, you also see how Freddy kicks it to his stick after...and it just slips one inch too far to put it in the open goal... Heartbreaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  6. #346
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    408

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    For those who want to start looking ahead to the future (per a Todd Milewski article from earlier this year - LINK

    snips from the article
    - The Badgers and the Wildcats are scheduled to play in Ashwaubenon again next season, tentatively Oct. 20-21, 2017, according to a contract between the schools.
    - The rest of the 2017-18 non-conference slate, per signed contracts and earlier announcements, is scheduled to include two-game home series against North Dakota, St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst and a road trip to Michigan Tech.

    - A four-year contract with St. Lawrence and Clarkson has the Badgers playing once at each school this season and in 2018-19. St. Lawrence plays a two-game series at the Kohl Center in 2017-18 and Clarkson visits in 2019-20.
    - After UW plays at Michigan Tech this season, the Huskies come to Madison in 2018-19.
    - The Badgersí return series for two home games against Omaha this season comes in 2019-20.

    NMU was a bottom third team, finishing at 13-22-4
    NoDak was a top 10 team, finishing at 21-15-3
    St Lawrence was an upper third team, finishing at 17-13-7
    Mercyhurst was another bottom third team, finishing at 15-20-4
    Michigan Tech was a middle team that won the WCHA to make the NCAA, they went 23-14-7
    Just because I had a little bit of time to kill during my lunch today, I went back through previous schedules and what was listed in this news article about scheduling commitments and put together a document that outlines what our non-con schedule has looked like for the past few years and what we know for the next few. Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any comments/edits. I'm going to try to keep this updated as we get more information about the coming seasons.

  7. #347
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The People's Republic of Madison
    Posts
    2,362

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    So....who do you think will win it all? Who do you WANT to win it all?

    I was looking over the bracket last night and have no idea what to do......**** near used up an entire eraser. All teams involved have been lurking in the top 16 all year. What say you?
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.

    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

  8. #348
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    So....who do you think will win it all? Who do you WANT to win it all?

    I was looking over the bracket last night and have no idea what to do......**** near used up an entire eraser. All teams involved have been lurking in the top 16 all year. What say you?
    I would like Notre Dame to win one game...no more no less. Besides that, cheering for Mich Tech.

  9. #349
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    Just because I had a little bit of time to kill during my lunch today, I went back through previous schedules and what was listed in this news article about scheduling commitments and put together a document that outlines what our non-con schedule has looked like for the past few years and what we know for the next few. Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any comments/edits. I'm going to try to keep this updated as we get more information about the coming seasons.
    LOVE this idea. The less digging through the schedules thread I have to do, the better.

  10. #350
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    What would be your method for eliminating this? I'd love to see it happen. I'd also love to see all of the other crude pieces taken out of the hockey cheers. "By the bright shining light, of the mother f-ing moon" can go away. "That's debatable...you still suck dick" can disappear. "You still suck dick" in any usage can also disappear. I know the band tries to play over some of these when they can, but I'd rather see the students realize that it adds nothing to the environment and just stop.
    I know it is something that the Administration recognizes and would like to see it stopped. But you can't reasonably expect to control a crowd of several thousand college students when they think it is cool to shout swear words and/or demeaning and/or homophobic phrases at each other or the opponent.
    I think they even tried something at football games along the lines of a raffle for a free spring break trip if they didn't do the ES/FU chant, but they still did it. As soon as one person starts it and the students realize that there isn't a reason to abstain any longer they jump in wholeheartedly.
    I think the only way to stop the chants like Es/fu would be to pull or threaten to pull tickets.

    I hadn't heard the kids adding "dick" to some chants, that's South Park level stuff and is really indicative of a lack of creativity and class really.
    I've gotten a ton of negative feedback from a couple of friends who go to camp randle as fans of b10 opponents and all they come back with are stories of getting told "**** you" by the 10-year old children of some Bucky fans.
    That's really disappointing

  11. #351
    Registered College Hockey Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mosinee, WI
    Posts
    714

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again


  12. #352
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    408
    I immediately DQ any article that says this about Luke

    "one of the most elite American defensive prospects not yet signed to an NHL entry-level deal"

    And this isn't saying anything new... He's got a solid game, he could go if he wants to, but he isn't sure yet.

  13. #353
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,429

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    The ES/FU chant is almost vintage at this point. I moved to Madison in 93 and we had football tickets for the first 20 or so years we were here and I honestly can't remember a time when that wasn't going on.

    It has never bothered me and it never will.

    Sometimes you almost have to choose to be offended by some of this stuff.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  14. #354
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    The ES/FU chant is almost vintage at this point. I moved to Madison in 93 and we had football tickets for the first 20 or so years we were here and I honestly can't remember a time when that wasn't going on.

    It has never bothered me and it never will.

    Sometimes you almost have to choose to be offended by some of this stuff.
    I was there in 93 and I don't recall that chant from that era.
    I don't choose to be offended. Who does that?

    I said it's a classless chant that bears no creativity at all and it evolved out of the "tastes great" "less filling" back and forth' the students did until the late80's early 90's. the es fu makes the kids sound like a bunch of uneducated dopes to be honest. They can do better than lcd chants I feel.
    Last edited by solovsfett; 03-22-2017 at 07:27 AM.

  15. #355
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    599
    Took my 10 and 12 year olds to their first Badger Football game this year and my 10 year old daughter asked me what they were saying during that cheer. I told her and didn't really offer any explanation...

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    I was there in 93 and I don't recall that chant from that era.
    I don't choose to be offended. Who does that?

    I said it's a classless chant that bears no creativity at all and it evolved out of the "tastes great" "less filling" back and forth' the students did until the late80's early 90's. the es fu makes the kids sound like a bunch of uneducated dopes to be honest. They can do better than lcd chants I feel.

  16. #356
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,429

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    I was there in 93 and I don't recall that chant from that era.
    I don't choose to be offended. Who does that?

    I said it's a classless chant that bears no creativity at all and it evolved out of the "tastes great" "less filling" back and forth' the students did until the late80's early 90's. the es fu makes the kids sound like a bunch of uneducated dopes to be honest. They can do better than lcd chants I feel.

    Sure. I agree it's dumb. I ignore it. Doesn't even register with me.

    It's not going away though and it keeps getting whined about both here and seemingly on an annual basis in the media.

    It's kids being kids. They'll grow up and realize that they could have done better and then never worry about it again. In the meantime, knowing that it chaps your arse will only make them perpetuate it.

    Just can't understand the great gnashing of teeth over this by people coz like I said, it's not going away and the chants that you old ****ers did back in the glory days aren't coming back either.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-22-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  17. #357
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,429

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by DPlaya View Post
    Took my 10 and 12 year olds to their first Badger Football game this year and my 10 year old daughter asked me what they were saying during that cheer. I told her and didn't really offer any explanation...

    I took my kid around that time and also told him and offered the "Sometimes adults say things that are inappropriate."

    Situation handled and we got on with our lives.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  18. #358
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,946

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I took my kid around that time and also told him and offered the "Sometimes adults say things that are inappropriate."

    Situation handled and we got on with our lives.
    The right way to handle it. Also gets the kid a half step closer to being able to appreciate language and what G Carlin was getting at.

  19. #359
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Sure. I agree it's dumb. I ignore it. Doesn't even register with me.

    It's not going away though and it keeps getting whined about both here and seemingly on an annual basis in the media.

    It's kids being kids. They'll grow up and realize that they could have done better and then never worry about it again. In the meantime, knowing that it chaps your arse will only make them perpetuate it.

    Just can't understand the great gnashing of teeth over this by people coz like I said, it's not going away and the chants that you old ****ers did back in the glory days aren't coming back either.
    Old ****ers? Seriously? I'm pretty sure we're the same age.

    I don't recall who was calling for the reintroduction of rumble rink, I had thought it was you but it could have con or hybs or??? And what's wrong with that anyway? Especially if the alternative is adding "dick" to the end of phrases or some other lame attempt at humor without effort.

    Get off my lawn!

  20. #360
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,429

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Old ****ers? Seriously? I'm pretty sure we're the same age.

    We are. That's why I said it.

    Look, no hard feelings. We can disagree.


    It's theirs (current students) now though and with that comes their right to screw it up.

    I'm actually with KaMiGo though on this one in that they don't need or want us older farts telling them the right way to do it.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •