Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Tough to watch that one in person, but proud of the ladies fight til the end, but the trip was a blast. My eldest son spent hours reading outloud in the truck "Musky Strategies" by Tom Gelb, which was fascinating, that guy is a genius. Now we have the dead period from now til 5/6, no college hockey, no musky shows to go to. Other than prepping the gear and the boat and staring at the recruiting spreadsheets (and make a moon phase spreadsheet), I'm going to go insane with boredom.
    A good time to make your own lures.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Say what you will about Penn State in general, but after reading this article you have to see that they are doing some things right.

What stands out to me most is how they treat the student section
    Quote Originally Posted by From the Article
    An official student organization, the Roar Zone meets monthly to brainstorm new cheers and routines intended to energize the crowd and unnerve the visiting goalie
    I would LOVE to see something like that happening at UW and have sent an e-mail to the administration with this information.

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    Say what you will about Penn State in general, but after reading this article you have to see that they are doing some things right.

What stands out to me most is how they treat the student section

I would LOVE to see something like that happening at UW and have sent an e-mail to the administration with this information.
    See post #289 .
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    See post #289 .
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I would be more than happy to have a Badger Hockey Orientation Program in fall for new students. I would employ the likes of EODS, Almington, Gurt, Tim, solo, and other Badger Hockey longtimers. I know times change, but it's been a while for the old stuff and time to change back.
    Yeah, that's not exactly what I was getting at...

There is a yuge difference between the "old timers" wanting to mold the new batch of students in their collective image and organizing the new batch of students to allow them to develop something that is uniquely theirs.

Sure, there could be an interesting "Student Sections of Years Past" presentation to show the new students what was done in the past. It could provide valuable historical context for what could be expected in terms of energy and engagement. Hell, I never knew that the "When yous say Wisconsin..." bit was based on an old TV commercial until I saw someone mention it here. That commercial came out before I was even born.

I do not think that we need to have old people come in and tell the new students "This is what worked for us 20 years ago so this is what you need to do now". The game is different, the students are different, the world is different.

This generation of students would be more likely to have the following interaction during player introductions:
    PA - Starting in Goal, Number 31, Peyton Jones
    Students - Swipe Left!
    If you don't understand the reference, that may be part of the issue...hell, I had to google which way to swipe because I'm too old to be part of that generation. For all I know students would look at this and respond with "eww, that is so over, nobody uses that anymore".

If it means so much to you to keep the legacy cheers alive, start a group of Grumpy Old Men and get seats together and do the Rumble Rink cheer until soil your Depends.

There is a yuge difference between the "old timers" wanting to mold the new batch of students in their collective image and organizing the new batch of students to allow them to develop something that is uniquely theirs.

Completely agree.

The banners and the Rumble Rink and all that isn't coming back nor should it.

It's antiquated and to be honest, cheesy by today's standards.

Good memories, but time marches on and things must evolve and as you say, today's students should create their own thing.

If it means so much to you to keep the legacy cheers alive, start a group of Grumpy Old Men and get seats together and do the Rumble Rink cheer until soil your Depends.

Salty.

Yet funny.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Tough to watch that one in person, but proud of the ladies fight til the end, but the trip was a blast. My eldest son spent hours reading outloud in the truck "Musky Strategies" by Tom Gelb, which was fascinating, that guy is a genius. Now we have the dead period from now til 5/6, no college hockey, no musky shows to go to. Other than prepping the gear and the boat and staring at the recruiting spreadsheets (and make a moon phase spreadsheet), I'm going to go insane with boredom.
    Go fish for Walleyes.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    I can randomly change things on the spreadsheet every once in a while to keep you on your toes if that helps.
    You can leave the spreadsheet alone, any changes may give me a heart attack one way or the other. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    A good time to make your own lures.
    I have looked into this and may end up messing around with it. I do make my own jigs and paint them. I have also made smaller french spinners before when I was a Lutheran Pioneer Leader.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrumbower View Post
    Go fish for Walleyes.
    Our next species to target is large mouth bass, walleyes don't do much for me. I'd rather eat pike, blue gils or perch.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

I've been killing it on trout streams all year.

Such a mild winter although that never stops me. Was out on opening day and it was -2.

Boat fishing bores me in comparison to be honest although have a Canada trip in a few months with about 7 of my kid's team mates/buddies and their dads (who are my buddies) which will be fun.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Yeah, that's not exactly what I was getting at...

Sure, there could be an interesting "Student Sections of Years Past" presentation to show the new students what was done in the past. It could provide valuable historical context for what could be expected in terms of energy and engagement. Hell, I never knew that the "When yous say Wisconsin..." bit was based on an old TV commercial until I saw someone mention it here. That commercial came out before I was even born.

I do not think that we need to have old people come in and tell the new students "This is what worked for us 20 years ago so this is what you need to do now". The game is different, the students are different, the world is different.

This generation of students would be more likely to have the following interaction during player introductions:
    PA - Starting in Goal, Number 31, Peyton Jones
    Students - Swipe Left!
    If you don't understand the reference, that may be part of the issue...hell, I had to google which way to swipe because I'm too old to be part of that generation. For all I know students would look at this and respond with "eww, that is so over, nobody uses that anymore".

Saw a ped state game on tv and their students brought in signs etc and were pretty nuts.

As for your crack about old people maybe that will play better when and if this new generation ever actually gets off their asses and brings their own cheers etc and provides enthusiasm. Until then you'll have to deal with us old timers who provided the crowd spark in the 80's and 90's lament why the admin is so lame and the students can't come up with cheers anymore.

While I'm at it get rid of eat **** **** you at football it's weak sauce and about as imaginative as Dylan Thomas

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Tim, the end of the college hockey season usually (depending on water temps as you know), triggers the Lake Monona muskies trying to jump the dam into Lake Wingra from the connecting Wingra Creek. If you've never been there before, it is quite a site seeing 50+ inchers trying to scale that dam. They are usually swimming around below the dam; you can get within a few feet of them. Absolutely incredible. It's a small time frame and if you hit it right it's very difficult to leave! An older video, but it's the same annually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMQK4chHjiM
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    While I'm at it get rid of eat **** **** you at football it's weak sauce and about as imaginative as Dylan Thomas
    What would be your method for eliminating this? I'd love to see it happen. I'd also love to see all of the other crude pieces taken out of the hockey cheers. "By the bright shining light, of the mother f-ing moon" can go away. "That's debatable...you still suck dick" can disappear. "You still suck dick" in any usage can also disappear. I know the band tries to play over some of these when they can, but I'd rather see the students realize that it adds nothing to the environment and just stop.
    I know it is something that the Administration recognizes and would like to see it stopped. But you can't reasonably expect to control a crowd of several thousand college students when they think it is cool to shout swear words and/or demeaning and/or homophobic phrases at each other or the opponent.
    I think they even tried something at football games along the lines of a raffle for a free spring break trip if they didn't do the ES/FU chant, but they still did it. As soon as one person starts it and the students realize that there isn't a reason to abstain any longer they jump in wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by KaMiGo; 03-20-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Drunkard
    What would be your method for eliminating this? I'd love to see it happen. I'd also love to see all of the other crude pieces taken out of the hockey cheers. "By the bright shining light, of the mother f-ing moon" can go away. "That's debatable...you still suck dick" can disappear. "You still suck dick" in any usage can also disappear. I know the band tries to play over some of these when they can, but I'd rather see the students realize that it adds nothing to the environment and just stop.
    I know it is something that the Administration recognizes and would like to see it stopped. But you can't reasonably expect to control a crowd of several thousand college students when they think it is cool to shout swear words and/or demeaning and/or homophobic phrases at each other or the opponent.
    I think they even tried something at football games along the lines of a raffle for a free spring break trip if they didn't do the ES/FU chant, but they still did it. As soon as one person starts it and the students realize that there isn't a reason to abstain any longer they jump in wholeheartedly.
    My easiest way to kill ES/FU that never caught on was to replace it with "Tastes Great"/"Less Filling".

Teaching you how to Bucky.

There was a morning, I won't say exactly when, that I was looking in the mirror, adjusting the knot on my Sid Mashburn tie before leaving for a meeting when it hit me-- I was no longer a totally rad dude. In fact it was entirely possible I had even become one of... them.

The thing for students to do is to do new student things, not what the old people want. Although it is nice to maintain a few traditions passed down through the generations.

Spring river run walleye fishing is terrific thing. Anybody that hasn't tried it, should.

I was thinking about a couple of players and how they've come along through just plain hard work. I've mentioned Cavallinni before.
    There are 5 guys who started every game this year, one of whom is Corbin McGuire. To me that is astonishing. A guy who never played D in his life until last year was able to stick in the line up on a 20 win team, even though there were some serviceable D on the roster who actually played D for years. Not to mention he took a beating and got up and kept going all year. Especially this last weekend, where guys 6'5 and 6'6 were crushing him, but he hung in there and fought for every inch.

A year ago I myself, (who admittedly am pretty much a defender of players most of the time) posted that I thought Tim Davison could not be in the line up, because whatever upside he had in puck skills could never be over come by his traffic cone D. This weekend Timmy was +1 and even in two games against the number 2 an 3 highest scoring teams in the nation. He was solid and while not mistake free, battled and made plays that I would never thought him capable of. Sure maybe some of it is coaching, but the fact is that all the coaching in the world can't make a silk purse and it's a testament to Tim's hard work, dedication, and sheer will to get better. He is not a tremendous athelete like JD or a skater like Tischke who can make up for mistakes with his skates. He has to do it right all the time to be successful. And while sure, the D was the weak link all year, they gave up only 2 goals in 140 minutes against these high octane teams. They were really good when the chips were all in.

Tim and Corbin may never go down in history alongside the great Wisco Dmen, but I have a ton of respect for these guys for making the most of what they have. They've earned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

For those who want to start looking ahead to the future (per a Todd Milewski article from earlier this year - LINK

snips from the article
    - The Badgers and the Wildcats are scheduled to play in Ashwaubenon again next season, tentatively Oct. 20-21, 2017, according to a contract between the schools.
    - The rest of the 2017-18 non-conference slate, per signed contracts and earlier announcements, is scheduled to include two-game home series against North Dakota, St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst and a road trip to Michigan Tech.

- A four-year contract with St. Lawrence and Clarkson has the Badgers playing once at each school this season and in 2018-19. St. Lawrence plays a two-game series at the Kohl Center in 2017-18 and Clarkson visits in 2019-20.
    - After UW plays at Michigan Tech this season, the Huskies come to Madison in 2018-19.
    - The Badgers’ return series for two home games against Omaha this season comes in 2019-20.

NMU was a bottom third team, finishing at 13-22-4
    NoDak was a top 10 team, finishing at 21-15-3
    St Lawrence was an upper third team, finishing at 17-13-7
    Mercyhurst was another bottom third team, finishing at 15-20-4
    Michigan Tech was a middle team that won the WCHA to make the NCAA, they went 23-14-7

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

For those who want to start looking ahead to the future (per a Todd Milewski article from earlier this year - LINK

snips from the article
    - The Badgers and the Wildcats are scheduled to play in Ashwaubenon again next season, tentatively Oct. 20-21, 2017, according to a contract between the schools.
    - The rest of the 2017-18 non-conference slate, per signed contracts and earlier announcements, is scheduled to include two-game home series against North Dakota, St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst and a road trip to Michigan Tech.

- A four-year contract with St. Lawrence and Clarkson has the Badgers playing once at each school this season and in 2018-19. St. Lawrence plays a two-game series at the Kohl Center in 2017-18 and Clarkson visits in 2019-20.
    - After UW plays at Michigan Tech this season, the Huskies come to Madison in 2018-19.
    - The Badgers’ return series for two home games against Omaha this season comes in 2019-20.

NMU was a bottom third team, finishing at 13-22-4
    NoDak was a top 10 team, finishing at 21-15-3
    St Lawrence was an upper third team, finishing at 17-13-7
    Mercyhurst was another bottom third team, finishing at 15-20-4
    Michigan Tech was a middle team that won the WCHA to make the NCAA, they went 23-14-7
    I'm thinking of surprising the Mrs. and flying her home for the UND series (as she is a Sue fan.)

Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    I'm thinking of surprising the Mrs. and flying her home for the UND series (as she is a Sue fan.)
    I'll bet she is a beauty.

And smart.

Drunkard
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post

And smart.
    She'd have to be for him anyone to put up with her choice of hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I think mark nails my thoughts as well here. Just based on what the NHL has done in the past, Hughes could be the top flight risk. Which would make me sad because he is a guy that has really improved his game each year he's been here and I'd love to have him back to see if he couldn't do it again and be a dominating player as a Senior.

With Kunin, well, he's in the same boat as Kerdiles, but I question whether he's as far along as Nic was. He has a much better shot, but I feel like his whole game needs another gear yet. Evidenced maybe by his lower production against top competition. For example in the last 6 games vs. OSU/PSU he's 2g 1a 3pts. On the other hand, given the right linemates in the NHL I don't doubt he could score right now at that level. On yet another other hand I'm not sure he fits into the Wild line up at the moment, plus I believe the Wild have two other 1st rounders in the system. At the time Kerdiles left it actually looked like he'd have a pretty good shot of making the big club. Somebody that follows the Wild closer than I do could perhaps make a better guess at Kunin's chances? But if chances aren't great I just don't believe in college guys Kunin's age leaving expressly to go grind it out in the AHL.

Might be wishful thinking, but I have some hope that Kunin comes back for unfinished business. Unless he's going straight to the Big Club, I think he should stay.

I'd be shocked to see Freddy go.

Greenway and Tischke could be a very small risk. With Greenway, you just hope he's happy here. He'd still be eligible to go play Major Juniors like Dougherty did should he so choose. If he can work his *** off in the off season, he could really be something special. Funny thing about him right now is that the coaches have raved about how well he sees, thinks, and understands the game. Occasionally it seems that way and yet sometimes it just seems like his brain goes in neutral. I don't get it. Tischke's progress has been impressive and while probably unlikely, it's not totally inconceivable he could field offers.

I like Inamoto a lot. He's going to be like Tischke, but better I think.
    Well the lineup goes as such:

Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
    Nino-Staal-Coyle
    Parise-Hanzal-Pominville
    Stewart Haula-White

The only one I'd want him in over would be White . Don't think it's a good idea for a prospect to play 4th line though.

The "Wild" (lawl) card is the Iowa Wild are fighting for a playoff spot and the organization may want him to play for them.
    Stevens Point Hockey!! Dibs on runner up!
    National Champions 89' 90' 91' 93' 16'
    Runner Up 92' 98' 14' 15'

Wisconsin Hockey: Home of the Mark Osiecki death stare!
    National Champions 73' 77' 81' 83' 90' 06'

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post

And smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    She'd have to be for him anyone to put up with her choice of hockey teams.
    You're both right!

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
    Well the lineup goes as such:

Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
    Nino-Staal-Coyle
    Parise-Hanzal-Pominville
    Stewart Haula-White

The only one I'd want him in over would be White . Don't think it's a good idea for a prospect to play 4th line though.

The "Wild" (lawl) card is the Iowa Wild are fighting for a playoff spot and the organization may want him to play for them.

Thanks! And I agree about prospects playing 4th line time.

Based on Milewski's tweet about his conversation with Tony it doesn't look all that promising:

I do see that #18 overall pick Alex Tuch who is a heck of a player is in Iowa. 20th overall Joel Eriksson-Ek has been up briefly and is in Sweden. Jordan Greenway is also expected to leave this year. It's a bit of a glut of high end forwards trying to get a spot. Kunin also could sign and find himself traded the next day. Or in Vegas. Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Thread Information