Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 501

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

  1. #261
    Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    If people actually prefer canned music to the pep band, then the atmosphere is dead for good.

    You can't do anything with people if they just want to be silenced by the PA system.
    If people being silenced by the sound system were a problem, it would be a good problem to have. Even on the good days when the studing section is going, not nearly enough people want to continue even the simplest "let's go red" in the rest of the arena. The old people have been dreadful with the "we want more" thing.

    Remember that 99% of people don't want to be loud compared to the people near them, even if a lot of them would like it if the rest of the crowd were already loud, allowing them to join in.

  2. #262
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    405

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Yes, if you're at WrestleMania.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Or if the crowd is useless.
    Or if they are casual hockey fans.

    Not every person in the stands can get excited by things like "Oh my gosh, did you see the awesome fore-checking from the fourth line!!??!!" "Holy cow, can you believe how they progressed through that 1-3-1 trap??!!??"

    I don't know much about hockey. I was never exposed to it growing up. I found it as a college freshman at Northern Michigan University when (during orientation week) they said "hey, come on over to our brand new hockey arena and pick your seats. You can put the bill on your student account, so you don't really have to pay for anything!". I started going to games and picked up the basics...what the typical penalties are, along with the concepts of offsides and icing...and went about my business watching and enjoying the game from a 5000' level.

    I think that too often the fans on this board tend to be a bit elitist. The majority of the fans at UW games are watching from that 5000' level (and not just because they got the cheap seats in the 300 ring). They can sense the general flow of the game, they get excited with consistent offensive zone pressure, they cheer/boo when the video screen bounces back and forth with guys in the penalty boxes, they count along when Phil prompts them to. They are very reactive fans. If someone does something to get them excited, they get excited; if there isn't anything prompting them to get excited, they will sit there quietly and watch the game with limited reaction unless something happens.

    You can call the crowd useless, but that isn't going to change the nature of the fanbase in Wisconsin. It would be great if there was constantly exciting play that kept the fans excited and engaged, but when that isn't happening it falls back on the athletic department via their gameday staff to help provide the energy. And sometimes a well-timed and high-energy hit through the PA can do that.

  3. #263
    Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Regarding Leckrone, the one thing I've never understood about the way he wants things run during the game is that the band doesn't usually play during stoppages that aren't tied to some kind of timeout. There are no short bits played by any non-percussion instrument. Quite frankly, it's always going to be quiet in that case.

    The solution would be a sound system that allows for subtle amplification of the band at the far end of the arena, like they have at the final four in men's basketball (where thigs aren't physically concentrated enough for the band to be nearly loud enough). A couple of drummers doing the usual cadences sounds good when you're near it, but it's easy to see why people at the far end (save for six people I know personally) have that "sit back and take in the game" feeling.

    When I was officially a season ticket holder, I always selected 100% band for that question, but that was only to push the percentages in that direction. There are definitely times when pumping in some music makes more sense to me, and it fits the mood better. It also allows that majority of the crowd (ANY crowd will have this) that enjoys a loud, active atmosphere, but would never want to be loud unless 80-90% of the arena is already going, to feel less self-conscious about being a little bit vocally active.

    I'll also say my usual thing:

    The Badgers hockey as we knew it died. The fan base as we knew it died. It skipped a whole cycle of students. Even before that, people posting on a USCHO forum aren't representative of the people at most games. And now? We have to build an almost entirely new fan base as if this is a new program. And yeah, that newbie in section 201 might respond better to "Welcome to the Jungle" than some super quiet drumming.

  4. #264
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,410

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    Or if they are casual hockey fans.

    Not every person in the stands can get excited by things like "Oh my gosh, did you see the awesome fore-checking from the fourth line!!??!!" "Holy cow, can you believe how they progressed through that 1-3-1 trap??!!??"

    I don't know much about hockey. I was never exposed to it growing up. I found it as a college freshman at Northern Michigan University when (during orientation week) they said "hey, come on over to our brand new hockey arena and pick your seats. You can put the bill on your student account, so you don't really have to pay for anything!". I started going to games and picked up the basics...what the typical penalties are, along with the concepts of offsides and icing...and went about my business watching and enjoying the game from a 5000' level.

    I think that too often the fans on this board tend to be a bit elitist. The majority of the fans at UW games are watching from that 5000' level (and not just because they got the cheap seats in the 300 ring). They can sense the general flow of the game, they get excited with consistent offensive zone pressure, they cheer/boo when the video screen bounces back and forth with guys in the penalty boxes, they count along when Phil prompts them to. They are very reactive fans. If someone does something to get them excited, they get excited; if there isn't anything prompting them to get excited, they will sit there quietly and watch the game with limited reaction unless something happens.

    You can call the crowd useless, but that isn't going to change the nature of the fanbase in Wisconsin. It would be great if there was constantly exciting play that kept the fans excited and engaged, but when that isn't happening it falls back on the athletic department via their gameday staff to help provide the energy. And sometimes a well-timed and high-energy hit through the PA can do that.

    Total load of crap.

    I know hockey extremely well and rarely feel like participating in group cheers.

    There are plenty of games for every team everywhere these days where the crowd is flat. Blackhawks, Badger football, Brewers, Packers...

    The excitement level of the crowd is far more related to the stakes of the individual game than it is to good or bad or knowledgeable fans.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  5. #265
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,137
    Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    Or if they are casual hockey fans.

    Not every person in the stands can get excited by things like "Oh my gosh, did you see the awesome fore-checking from the fourth line!!??!!" "Holy cow, can you believe how they progressed through that 1-3-1 trap??!!??"

    I don't know much about hockey. I was never exposed to it growing up. I found it as a college freshman at Northern Michigan University when (during orientation week) they said "hey, come on over to our brand new hockey arena and pick your seats. You can put the bill on your student account, so you don't really have to pay for anything!". I started going to games and picked up the basics...what the typical penalties are, along with the concepts of offsides and icing...and went about my business watching and enjoying the game from a 5000' level.

    I think that too often the fans on this board tend to be a bit elitist. The majority of the fans at UW games are watching from that 5000' level (and not just because they got the cheap seats in the 300 ring). They can sense the general flow of the game, they get excited with consistent offensive zone pressure, they cheer/boo when the video screen bounces back and forth with guys in the penalty boxes, they count along when Phil prompts them to. They are very reactive fans. If someone does something to get them excited, they get excited; if there isn't anything prompting them to get excited, they will sit there quietly and watch the game with limited reaction unless something happens.

    You can call the crowd useless, but that isn't going to change the nature of the fanbase in Wisconsin. It would be great if there was constantly exciting play that kept the fans excited and engaged, but when that isn't happening it falls back on the athletic department via their gameday staff to help provide the energy. And sometimes a well-timed and high-energy hit through the PA can do that.
    Someone remind me to come back to this later in the weekend when I have more time to explain what a bunch of malarkey this post is.

  6. #266
    Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by KaMiGo View Post
    I think that too often the fans on this board tend to be a bit elitist.
    I've seen that in a couple groups of friends who are huge fans, and all I can think is, "this program is in NO position to have fans be exclusionary."

    They all expect new and casual fans to be somewhat to mostly on board with both the emotional connection to the teams AND to some strict structure. That goes completely against the "chant everything, improvise, and join in" thing that gave the crowds a bit of extra magic.

  7. #267
    Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    The excitement level of the crowd is far more related to the stakes of the individual game than it is to good or bad or knowledgeable fans.
    This is absolutely true, and for most people around here, the stakes are NEVER sky high, because not many people follow the team closely and have both an established emotional connection to the team and knowledge of the game's context in the current season. That's disappointing, as we'd all agree.

    (This comment is only to add to the fact quoted, not to refute or take a side.)

  8. #268
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    2,960

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Meh... let's not forget this year's experience is 8-9-1 at home. Compared to the last good home crowd year of 13-14 when they were 17-2 at home.

    Quite a difference there in total things to cheer about at each game as well, even though it's all much better than the last two years, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  9. #269
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stevens Point
    Posts
    273

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Ustaski still on the first line *bangs head repeatedly*
    Stevens Point Hockey!! Dibs on runner up!
    National Champions 89' 90' 91' 93' 16'
    Runner Up 92' 98' 14' 15'

    Wisconsin Hockey: Home of the Mark Osiecki death stare!
    National Champions 73' 77' 81' 83' 90' 06'

  10. #270
    #1 Badger Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North of Madison
    Posts
    759

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Not the prettiest W but I'll take it. Not sure about you guys, but I would prefer to play Minnesota tomorrow.

  11. #271
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,137

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Either way, they'll have to bring their A game.

  12. #272
    Mr. Sanctimonious Gurtholfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,410

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Good win against a bad matchup for UW.

    OSU was the team I didn't want to play.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

  13. #273
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    143

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Good win against a bad matchup for UW.

    OSU was the team I didn't want to play.
    Agreed. Ohio St is very talented, and I think they could do damage/go on a run if in the tournament. They just take so many stupid penalties though - the discipline they showed last week against us just couldn't hold for another full 60 minutes. And that finally showed through.

  14. #274
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    2,960

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    OSU has a number of very good upper classmen and that does usually carry weight in these things, but PSU has 5 very good Seniors, and that really is the team I thought we just didn't match up well with. Give our top guys too much trouble, don't make a lot of mistakes, plus really play a pressure forecheck. Having said that, I'd rather play them now just because I like seeing the gophers lose whenever possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  15. #275
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,310

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Re: badger hockey as we knew is dead...

    It might be.

    But...there are some missing pieces to the ambiance puzzle that might be leading to less enthusiastic/intimidating/and fun crowds.

    Remember we're nostalgic for a time when kids could bring in banners and a gopher on a stick and the band was on the glass, the team was winning 20+ games annually, had superstar players, AND don't forget how the beer garden added to the atmosphere.

    Start a chant of "4 we want more" or the rumble rink or when the other team scores a "who? So what?!? Big deal!!!" In a sold-out venue with a perennial title contender and the crowd having a few beers and suddenly you've got some real volume and enthusiasm.

    Maybe I'm a Pollyanna but bring all those things back and see what transpires.

    I bet the atmosphere improves quite a bit

  16. #276
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    143

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    But...there are some missing pieces to the ambiance puzzle that might be leading to less enthusiastic/intimidating/and fun crowds.

    Remember we're nostalgic for a time when kids could bring in banners and a gopher on a stick and the band was on the glass, the team was winning 20+ games annually, had superstar players, AND don't forget how the beer garden added to the atmosphere.

    Start a chant of "4 we want more" or the rumble rink or when the other team scores a "who? So what?!? Big deal!!!" In a sold-out venue with a perennial title contender and the crowd having a few beers and suddenly you've got some real volume and enthusiasm.

    Maybe I'm a Pollyanna but bring all those things back and see what transpires.

    I bet the atmosphere improves quite a bit
    Agree 100%, allow the banners, and stop the hypocrisy with beer sales (we can't have students drinking and walking home; but, if you've got $$$ for a luxury box, we'll sell it to you and you can climb into your Lexus all hammered and drive home).

  17. #277
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by LordofBrewtown View Post

    Agree 100%, allow the banners, and stop the hypocrisy with beer sales (we can't have students drinking and walking home; but, if you've got $$$ for a luxury box, we'll sell it to you and you can climb into your Lexus all hammered and drive home).
    The alcohol issue is a university policy based on responsible serving. The clubs and suites can serve because they maintain the ratio of servers to consumers.
    If you want to see something different happen, research the reason and go to the source.

  18. #278
    Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Re: badger hockey as we knew is dead...

    It might be.

    But...there are some missing pieces to the ambiance puzzle that might be leading to less enthusiastic/intimidating/and fun crowds.

    Remember we're nostalgic for a time when kids could bring in banners and a gopher on a stick and the band was on the glass, the team was winning 20+ games annually, had superstar players, AND don't forget how the beer garden added to the atmosphere.

    Start a chant of "4 we want more" or the rumble rink or when the other team scores a "who? So what?!? Big deal!!!" In a sold-out venue with a perennial title contender and the crowd having a few beers and suddenly you've got some real volume and enthusiasm.

    Maybe I'm a Pollyanna but bring all those things back and see what transpires.

    I bet the atmosphere improves quite a bit
    If we could wave a magic wand and get thousands of students and other fans to be active followers of this program and to embrace the gameday experience...of course the atmosphere would improve. That's the missing piece to the puzzle, assuming on-ice success is coming with it. Unfortunately, getting thousands of people to go from "sure, I guess I'll try a hockey game; that's a thing you can do here" to being a fan isn't something that can really be forced or controlled. New fans just trying the hockey thing need to be in an environment where it matters. I think it can return, little by little, with each new wave of fans building on itself. If only the fans who were already there could wake up a little bit...I pretty much weep tears of joy anytime I hear somebody I don't know start a chant/song. (Of course, I have to remind myself of what I wrote earlier in this paragraph.)

    My biggest gripe with the band isn't what and when they're playing; it's how -- just like the rest of the student body -- they're not as into it as the last waves of band members, so they aren't the reliable pack they once were.
    Last edited by WiscDC; 03-17-2017 at 09:43 PM.

  19. #279
    Wisconsin Badgers Crease Creature
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    OSU has a number of very good upper classmen and that does usually carry weight in these things, but PSU has 5 very good Seniors, and that really is the team I thought we just didn't match up well with. Give our top guys too much trouble, don't make a lot of mistakes, plus really play a pressure forecheck. Having said that, I'd rather play them now just because I like seeing the gophers lose whenever possible.
    Also, there has to be a big rest advantage for playing the second of two games rather than the third of three in consecutive days.

  20. #280
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,137

    Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

    This rodent/enabler game was being played at such a high level, I was worried that the winner would have a huge advantage going into tomorrow night.

    But the longer this goes into OT, the less worried I am.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •