Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Speaking for myself, I'd say good for you guys. Here's a pat on the back and a cookie.

But if you want to come in here and lord your conference titles over us your barking up the wrong tree. Every coach here for the last 50 years was either Badger Bob or part of his coaching tree and the goals and expectations for this program are and always have been two things: Get better every week. Win the National Championship.

So yes, it's a fine thing the goofs have done. It's just not what we're about and the history of the program speaks to that. The goal for the team this year wasn't to win the conference. It wasn't even talked about. The first goal Tony set at the beginning of this year was make the FF. Everything they have done every week is geared toward that. Have a chance to be the best at the end without regard to whether it makes you the best in January or not. That is how Wisconsin Hockey has worked for 50 years. Gopher Hockey works different. Good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I can see how a Wisconsin fan would be happy not winning conference championships, and because of that, not getting invited to the NCAA's, and because of that, firing your coach. It sure makes tickets cheap and easy to get. You guys seemed to have got used to losing, so OK by me.
    Minnesota winning 6 conference championships in a row i cool and a nice accomplishment. However, Minnesota has the best high school players in the country. By far. They should have more National Championships then any program in the country. But they don't. So while conference championships are a nice accomplishment. Not winning many more National Championships is a much bigger disappointment given the talent they have at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Speaking for myself, I'd say good for you guys. Here's a pat on the back and a cookie.

But if you want to come in here and lord your conference titles over us your barking up the wrong tree. Every coach here for the last 50 years was either Badger Bob or part of his coaching tree and the goals and expectations for this program are and always have been two things: Get better every week. Win the National Championship.

So yes, it's a fine thing the goofs have done. It's just not what we're about and the history of the program speaks to that. The goal for the team this year wasn't to win the conference. It wasn't even talked about. The first goal Tony set at the beginning of this year was make the FF. Everything they have done every week is geared toward that. Have a chance to be the best at the end without regard to whether it makes you the best in January or not. That is how Wisconsin Hockey has worked for 50 years. Gopher Hockey works different. Good for you.
    It just so happens if you are not good enough to win, or almost win the Big Ten
    Championships, you are also not good enough to get invited to the NCAA playoffs. You can't win a National Championship if you are sitting at home, watching the other Big Ten teams playing at the NCAA. Every one knows that Wisconsin hockey has completely sucked lately, but if you are not winning even a few regular season games, you are not going to win a National Championship, either. and, Wisconsin's being a complete loser lately has dragged down the SOS of the other Big Ten schools, so you have been hurting their chances at the NCAA's too. You might as well fold her up, and play BB.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    It just so happens if you are not good enough to win, or almost win the Big Ten
    Championships, you are also not good enough to get invited to the NCAA playoffs. You can't win a National Championship if you are sitting at home, watching the other Big Ten teams playing at the NCAA. Every one knows that Wisconsin hockey has completely sucked lately, but if you are not winning even a few regular season games, you are not going to win a National Championship, either. and, Wisconsin's being a complete loser lately has dragged down the SOS of the other Big Ten schools, so you have been hurting their chances at the NCAA's too. You might as well fold her up, and play BB.

What's your point? Goof's were 6-11 in non-conference games last year. Why are you looking to us for an excuse?
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Quit feeding the trolls, especially the pompous goofers. We all know their the best in their own minds!

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

I DID see Jurusik on crutches before the end of the game. I don't recall, is it the same knee/leg as the previous injury?

IMO, Kohl Center was kind of a morgue and "paid" attendance was under 10,000. To me it looked like 8,000 in the house. I didn't feel like the team "felt it" last night. There's a lot to play for and the result was disturbing. 11 goals the past 2 games is as well. I like Greenway b/c I love players on the edge HOWEVER, they've got to lock him up in a padded cell so he can let out his frustrations or whatever's in his head. This team cannot afford to have one knucklehead **** things up...they're not that good yet. Let's get the split. ****em Bucky.

EDIT: Oh and congrats goofers. I may take **** for this, but if not us as BT champs, might as well be rodents.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-11-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Carl Spackler 1980

What's your point? Goof's were 6-11 in non-conference games last year. Why are you looking to us for an excuse?
    Actually, I like watching you lose, so I am getting a kick out of the last few years.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I DID see Jurusik on crutches before the end of the game. I don't recall, is it the same knee/leg as the previous injury?

IMO, Kohl Center was kind of a morgue and "paid" attendance was under 10,000. To me it looked like 8,000 in the house. I didn't feel like the team "felt it" last night. There's a lot to play for and the result was disturbing. 11 goals the past 2 games is as well. I like Greenway b/c I love players on the edge HOWEVER, they've got to lock him up in a padded cell so he can let out his frustrations or whatever's in his head. This team cannot afford to have one knucklehead **** things up...they're not that good yet. Let's get the split. ****em Bucky.

EDIT: Oh and congrats goofers. I may take **** for this, but if not us as BT champs, might as well be rodents.

I believe this was Jurusik's left and before it was his right.

I don't think I've ever seen a whistle on a breakaway like that for a scrum behind the play. Especially when Joshua jumps on Greenway. I just don't see how a ref can watch all that happen and think he should blow it dead before the break away is clear. I guess if you see your team is giving up a 2 on 0, you should just grab the guy next to you and punch him?

If it's not going to be us, the last team I want to see win is the smug jerks to the west. OSU, MSU, MI, PSU and the Catholics next year are all welcome to it first.

Speaking of Catholics, I heard Lucia went apoplectic when he heard the they were joining the conference. To be fair though, he thought they meant Holy Cross.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Legend in everybodys mind

. Every coach here for the last 50 years was either Badger Bob or part of his coaching tree and the goals and expectations for this program are and always have been two things: Get better every week. Win the National Championship.
    If you are going to make a dig and that's cool but something needs be said. Interesting, you bring up the WI coaching tree, where exactly was the late great BADger Bob and the late great Jeff Sauer from? When they learned the game both great coaches played outdoors in the local parks and lakes. Even today both of your coaches are well liked, respected and loved by the their native people.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

Legend in everybodys mind

Quote Originally Posted by druzy192 View Post
    Minnesota winning 6 conference championships in a row i cool and a nice accomplishment. However, Minnesota has the best high school players in the country. By far. They should have more National Championships then any program in the country. But they don't. So while conference championships are a nice accomplishment. Not winning many more National Championships is a much bigger disappointment given the talent they have at their disposal.
    Hey I get it Wisconsin has done an excellent job over the years of winning national championships and Minnesota fans have been disappointed by not winning more when the talent is there around the state. What we have found out since the addition of UMD, SCSU, BSU,and Mankato all being D1 schools the talent level is spread out and the best players sadly don't always attend the University of Minnesota. As the years have gone on the near misses of winning championships still bothers us.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    This is starting to ****ing suck. Is it the pressure? Are we running out of gas? Unless we can pop 4 in the 3rd....... :-(

*patiently waiting for G2O's recruits*

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    This is starting to ****ing suck. Is it the pressure? Are we running out of gas? Unless we can pop 4 in the 3rd....... :-(
    IMO, they look like they're just running out of gas. Consistent offensive pressure seems to be dwindling, and with our subpar defense, they're just not going to win that way.

Here's to waking up and winning 2 at The Joe!

Drunkard

Listen, we've historically done better in the NCAAs than we have in conference play. It's great to win where it truly counts, but that conference ineptitude isn't exactly a badge of honor.

For all of our success, we only have one treble (to borrow a soccer term) to our name.

It's maybe cliché but come crunch time your best players just have to be your best players and play well if your going to have success. We're 2-4 and Kunin, Frederick, Hughes, and Besse have combined for 4g 5a 9pts in the last 6. That's a combined .375 pts/game pace. We're obviously going nowhere fast if those guys produce at that rate.

Question is, why aren't they? I mean Hughes, Kunin, and Frederick combined for 20 pts in the previous 6 games vs. the same teams, (1.11pts/game) so it's hard to say it's only the competition. It's something that has infected the team. Seems like a ton of times they made bad passes and plays by hurrying instead of just taking that extra half second to make a good play. Or conversely they'd try to take the time and end up with paralysis and not make any play. To me all that speaks to a team that's not confident and is really feeling the pressure to perform, rather than going out confidently and just doing what you do. And that's a hard thing to fix with just five days until you face a do or die situation.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Listen, we've historically done better in the NCAAs than we have in conference play. It's great to win where it truly counts, but that conference ineptitude isn't exactly a badge of honor.

For all of our success, we only have one treble (to borrow a soccer term) to our name.
    We have 2 actually, '77 and '90 - though I agree with your point. Yes, I will taunt gopher fans with our 6 NC's to their 5. However, if I am honestly evaluating the success of a program all-time, I would definitely factor in regular season conference championships.

Let's go RED!

It's maybe cliché but come crunch time your best players just have to be your best players and play well if your going to have success. We're 2-4 and Kunin, Frederick, Hughes, and Besse have combined for 4g 5a 9pts in the last 6. That's a combined .375 pts/game pace. We're obviously going nowhere fast if those guys produce at that rate.

Question is, why aren't they? I mean Hughes, Kunin, and Frederick combined for 20 pts in the previous 6 games vs. the same teams, (1.11pts/game) so it's hard to say it's only the competition. It's something that has infected the team. Seems like a ton of times they made bad passes and plays by hurrying instead of just taking that extra half second to make a good play. Or conversely they'd try to take the time and end up with paralysis and not make any play. To me all that speaks to a team that's not confident and is really feeling the pressure to perform, rather than going out confidently and just doing what you do. And that's a hard thing to fix with just five days until you face a do or die situation.
    I think the constant line juggling is catching up with them. It's great Ustaski is emerging, but his moving up in the lineup has coincided with the lack to production for the other players, besides Besse, who is healing from multiple snake bites.

We call can see why Greenway was a late college commit, his demeanor is not the ideal one for the college game, it's more suited for the minors/NHL. He single handedly blew up Friday's game with an awful turnover that lead to a 1st period goal, then is stupidity cost us a goal and lead to the OSU goal. UW played like crap the whole game, but getting to 3-2 could have propelled them to play better and possibly win Friday.

Sucks for Jurusic. In Jack we trust.

It's still a been a great season with a lot of growth and tons of positives. Maybe there's just too much poop in the litter box and the litter can't handle it. Next season less poop will be in the litter box.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

half-crazy half-insane maniac

That was disappointing, to say the least. This year obviously has been better, but then to see them play so poorly the last few games of the regular season and ruin what had been a shot at an large bid...

Blocked shots were the difference in last nights game. It would be interesting to see shot attempts in last nights game. OSU on D clogged the middle and blocked a ton of shots. The block shots created odd man breaks, which OSU put away. Frustrating game last night, I thought the Badgers controlled most of the play.

Drunkard

The good news is that theyare two wins away from a berth and likely screwing Ohio State or penn State out of the ncaas

Thread Information