Bottom-feeders 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bottom-feeders 2016-17

I agree with Vizeroo's opinion of not including CC into this group. However I would have Arizona State in the field instead of Mercyhurst since they are close in the pairwise and we have enough Atlantic Hockey teams already.
    Thus, based on the PWR and avoiding conference matchups, these would be the pairings:
    Group 1
    Niagara vs Arizona State
    Lake Superior vs RIT
    Group 2
    Brown vs Maine
    American International vs Alaska
    Group 3
    UMass vs Northern Michigan
    RPI vs Ferris St
    Group 4
    Alaska Anchorage vs Michigan St
    Alabama Huntsville vs Colgate

Now all we need are regional places to play...

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
      I agree with Vizeroo's opinion of not including CC into this group. However I would have Arizona State in the field instead of Mercyhurst since they are close in the pairwise and we have enough Atlantic Hockey teams already.
      Thus, based on the PWR and avoiding conference matchups, these would be the pairings:
      Group 1
      Niagara vs Arizona State
      Lake Superior vs RIT
      Group 2
      Brown vs Maine
      Group 3
      RPI vs Ferris St
      Group 4

The Pontiac Silverdome. What's left of it is still standing. And the parking lot is serving as storage for VWs bought in that emissions scandal.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ash_house.html
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        The Pontiac Silverdome. What's left of it is still standing. And the parking lot is serving as storage for VWs bought in that emissions scandal.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ash_house.html
        the VWs will be in play, correct?
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          There's a barn in Skowhegan that has a sheet of ice. I don't mean it's a barn in the figurative sense, I mean it's a barn. Don't know if there's cows or horses in there, but I'm sure we could bring some in for the games. It's a pretty rural location, but it is only a few miles from an Interstate.

Another choice would be a pond in Jackman, ME. It's a nice rural location right near the US-Canadian border. No arena (or barn) but players can get dressed in the woods. As a bonus, if it snows the players will have to clear the pond off before they play. If it's an early spring they can play water polo instead.
          Don't forget that Jackman is the Switzerland of Maine...

Comment

Ocean City, MD

http://carouselhotel.com/amenities/o...otel-ice-rink/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Silver Spring, MD

https://www.silverspringiceskating.com

Cons: too close to public transportation and parking (although parking may be full on a weekend with shoppers and movie goers)

Even: lots of amenities around...but they provide distractions from the game making the game a confusing addition on the lower end of "Things to do" in the area.

Pros: Ridiculously small sheet of ice. When it's warm, it's crazy soft ice and easily gouged as well. Players would have to dodge small kids on penguin push skate-sleds.

Comment

Are we ready for an international regional location? "Growing the game" by hosting a regional in Japan!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel-ne...ish-exhibition

Comment

Being slightly serious here for a minute: What about Buccaneer Arena in Urbandale, IA? It hosted the 2007 College Hockey America Championship and had a grand total of 1309 fans show up for 4 games (an average of 327/game).

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    Being slightly serious here for a minute: What about Buccaneer Arena in Urbandale, IA? It hosted the 2007 College Hockey America Championship and had a grand total of 1309 fans show up for 4 games (an average of 327/game).

Sean
                    Suitability for the "other tournament" is a huge con. Although we HAVE had Atlantic City nominated recently...

Comment

Once again, the USCHOHRPA will be providing "coverage" of this tournament. As per tradition, we will be using CW mode only, and will be broadcasting on bands that are generally dead at their respective time of day.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        the VWs will be in play, correct?
                        Yes.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                          Group 1
                          Niagara vs Arizona State
                          Lake Superior vs RIT
                          Group 2
                          Brown vs Maine
                          Group 3
                          RPI vs Ferris St
                          Group 4

Probably makes sense to have Group 4, which is composed of mostly western teams, to play in the aforementioned outdoor pond near Jackman, Maine, to minimize attendance. Ditto for Group 2, made up of mostly eastern teams, which should be sent to the Pontiac Dome to deal with the VWs. The Jackman, Maine, venue got me thinking about a pond in the Colorado Front Range, Chasm Lake, which lies at about 12,000 ft above sea level in a cirque on the east side of Longs Peak. Back in the day, locals from Estes Park hiked the 5 miles and 4000 vertical feet to Chasm Lake with their skates. The wind is so fierce in the cirque that snow is never a problem. I think that this site would be perfect for the Group 3 teams. We still need a venue for Group 1 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Probably makes sense to have Group 4, which is composed of mostly western teams, to play in the aforementioned outdoor pond near Jackman, Maine, to minimize attendance. Ditto for Group 2, made up of mostly eastern teams, which should be sent to the Pontiac Dome to deal with the VWs. The Jackman, Maine, venue got me thinking about a pond in the Colorado Front Range, Chasm Lake, which lies at about 12,000 ft above sea level in a cirque on the east side of Longs Peak. Back in the day, locals from Estes Park hiked the 5 miles and 4000 vertical feet to Chasm Lake with their skates. The wind is so fierce in the cirque that snow is never a problem. I think that this site would be perfect for the Group 3 teams. We still need a venue for Group 1 teams.
                            Could I suggest a frozen waterfall somewhere in Alaska?

Like Ketchikan.

Nestled deep in the Tongass National Forest is a special sight only available by airplane or a lengthy backcountry hike. How does a frozen lake, natural dam and frozen waterfall sound to you? Sounds pretty freaking incredible to us!

http://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-co...as-700x420.jpg

The hike would be fitting, but the sight might be too beautiful and draw too many people. But then, everyone would be looking at nature instead of the game, so that would be right.
                            Last edited by Numbers; 03-19-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                              Could I suggest a frozen waterfall somewhere in Alaska?

Like Ketchikan.

Nestled deep in the Tongass National Forest is a special sight only available by airplane or a lengthy backcountry hike. How does a frozen lake, natural dam and frozen waterfall sound to you? Sounds pretty freaking incredible to us!

http://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-co...as-700x420.jpg

The hike would be fitting, but the sight might be too beautiful and draw too many people. But then, everyone would be looking at nature instead of the game, so that would be right.
                              That's where they filmed Mystery, Alaska.
                              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                That's where they filmed Mystery, Alaska.
                                Not familiar with that.

Really, the best idea would be the frozen run-off of a septic system somewhere north of Denali, guaranteed to still be hard at this time of year. Non-descript location, requires a bush pilot to get the teams there. Only temp seating...maybe 150 folding chairs set up around the 'rink'

Comment

Working...
                                X