This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 MLB Season - The Goat Memorial Thread

He really is stupid. My hated for him as a broadcaster started when the Twins played the Yankees in the playoffs many years ago.

You could tell he didn't give a quarter-sh|t about doing any research outside of NY players (Mets or Yankees). He didn't know a single thing about the Twins and didn't care to take five minutes to brush up on them.

And his banter was just useless.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      He really is stupid. My hated for him as a broadcaster started when the Twins played the Yankees in the playoffs many years ago.

You could tell he didn't give a quarter-sh|t about doing any research outside of NY players (Mets or Yankees). He didn't know a single thing about the Twins and didn't care to take five minutes to brush up on them.

And his banter was just useless.
      His charm is when he interacts with Keith; then he's great. He knows exactly how to push Keith's buttons and Keith's bizarre mixture of genuine humility mixed with balls out vanity is the subtext of every broadcast. Listening to GKR is like watching The Office, where Gary is Jim, Ron is Andy, and Keith is Michael.

When Ron was in the booth for the Nats he was atrocious -- the worst broadcaster I've heard outside of those who are actively trying to be repulsive like Hawk or Mike Lange. It was his first gig so that probably had something to do with it but still. Sad! But with GKR he fits in perfectly.

It's probably just Metsism that I love him. For example, I loathed Phil Rizutto and his stories about Cora, but 70s Yankee fans would knife you if you said that. Or, you know, for pretty much anything -- they were like that.

Anyway, Ron's actual analysis is mixed. He is very interesting when he talks about the psychology of pitching and pitchers. He's a complete moron when he talks about mechanics. And good god don't get him going on statistics.
      Last edited by Kepler; 06-21-2017, 09:58 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Curious as to how many "unwritten rules" baseball has? Seems the baseball community is up in arms over a player from the Mariners laying down a bunt with one out in the 6th inning while Verlander has a perfect game going. Is there a red line in the sand regarding what inning you can no longer bunt?
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Say it's the top of the eighth or ninth, you're down by ten, and the opposing pitcher has a perfect game going. It's kind of cringeworthy to try and bunt for a hit.

I have no idea what the situation was in that game. Use your judgement. The sixth seems a bit premature to get your panties in a wad.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Say it's the top of the ninth, you're down by ten, and the opposing pitcher has a perfect game going. It's kind of cringeworthy to try and bunt for a hit.

I have no idea what the situation was in that game. Use your judgement. The sixth seems a bit premature to get your panties in a wad.

edit: The Mariners were down by four in the sixth. Anyone angry can kindly pizz off. Hell, it led to this (via deadspin):
            "laying down a bunt to get on base and set the groundwork for a three-run inning for the Mariners:"
            Code:

Comment

Verlander said he wasn't upset. He should be ****ed with himself, as he didn't even make it out of that inning.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

No. Down four runs and still in the "middle frames," fair game to get on base.

Now, bunting in the 9th when down four runs, that's a straight dick move. Not in the spirit of the "unwritten rules," but nothing forbidding it.

The "unwritten rules" are more unspoken gentlemen's agreements to not be a giant toolbag when playing.
                Last edited by aparch; 06-22-2017, 07:21 AM.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  edit: The Mariners were down by four in the sixth. Anyone angry can kindly pizz off. Hell, it led to this (via deadspin):
                  "laying down a bunt to get on base and set the groundwork for a three-run inning for the Mariners:"
                  This.

Exactly. Now, had this situation arose in the ninth, while the hitter may be a dick for doing it, it also could have lead to the Mariners scoring three to come back to try and win.

I completely agree: those whining need to s.t.f.u.
                  Last edited by aparch; 06-22-2017, 07:21 AM.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Unwritten rules, LOLMets, etc.

Yasiel Puig's English is coming along fine.

Flores said he told Puig to "run the bases." Puig responded, according to Flores, "F-ck you."
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I wish the David Ortiz retirement ceremony was during the Twins series. And not because I have tickets for Monday's game. I didn't know that Ortiz chose 34 because of Kirby Puckett. Puckett' two kids are here for this. I'm getting overly emotional at this.

Comment

• Tebow, batting .222 in Columbia, is getting promoted to class A St. Lucie.

Sorry, Kepler.
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Tebow, batting .222 in Columbia, is getting promoted to class A St. Lucie.

Sorry, Kepler.
                          My franchise is a joke.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Indians take 4 in Minny and Minny turns around and takes 3 in Cleveland. Go figure
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

The Twins have a horrible home record and a great road record. Go figure.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                The Twins have a horrible home record and a great road record. Go figure.
                                As do the Indians. Go figure
                                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X