This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    The power play is horrible and yet he says it has nothing to do with hockey, it's all in their minds. We don't have to change a single thing on the ice. Umm ... ok, is he even watching the games he's supposedly coaching?

His entire offensive scheme is a joke. He preaches dump and suck and cycle the puck behind the net. We end up with three forwards standing around behind the goal line. Because that's where the goals are scored. When we pop the puck up front, no one is there. Our entire offense is cycle behind the net, then make a slow pass along the boards to the points for harmless slap shots from the d-men. Grade A scoring chances right there! There is no attempt to get the goalie and the defense moving north-south. We never have guys on the opposite door step waiting for tap-ins or rebounds. We never pass the puck from faceoff dot to faceoff dot to get wristers past a goalie trying to get back to the other post.

Even if we did those things, the forward lines have developed no chemistry over the course of the season because he is constantly changing the lines. Like almost every game, every line is different. I think he's finally settled on a Greenway-Keller-Carpenter line over the past ten games or so. Other than that, it is a total crapshoot every single night. In 14-15, he said the best thing he did was not coach the top line. This season, he has completely over-coached with this almost obsessive compulsion to switch line combos or use different players in different roles. It's really ruined any chance for them to have success.

We know the talent is there. The coaching staff has really let them down and it's a shame. The coaches are the ones who are supposed to be professional and I think they've been a complete and utter joke this season. Even going back to last year, the inconsistency is maddening.

You can go a little deeper too and look at individual decisions. He decides after the first Merrimack game that some changes need to be made. I think he unfairly picks MacLeod to sit the second game. Ok, he took some bad penalties, but so did several other players. McAvoy took the stupid major but nope, can't send him a message. Let's pick MacLeod, presumably because the PKers on the ice happened to let in goals on his rather than anyone else's. So MacLeod sits. Do you play the Dman with six assists in six games against Merrimack? No, of course not; that is literally a lay-up coaching decision and he can't do that right. The second Merrimack game, many players play the laziest, most disinterested games of their lives. McAvoy is the worst of the worst. Does he sit? Nope. What the hell was with his Patrick Curry obsession? He's not a first-line players; everyone knew that but it didn't stop Quinn from rolling him out there for a month anyway. Bellows showed he can in fact play hockey at a high level. But he can't seem to do it at BU. Whose fault is that? Special teams are a complete disaster at this point. The power play has been ****ing awful all season long and he has never managed to do anything with it, at all. That is the number one aspect of the game where coaching can play the biggest role. And it's the worst aspect of this team. How can you have four and a half months of coaching and still be running this power play out there? And for the love of god, please put the ****ing D-men at the points! How many times do our players miss the net by ten feet and have the puck roll along the boards and right out of the zone because we have one player on the blue line (in the center)??

What's the one aspect of the team that David Quinn has no influence over? Goaltending. And is it just a coincidence that the only place we are getting results is in net?
    Can't disagree with anything you are saying but what you fail to realize is he can't make changes..he has sold his soul to the NHL...certain players can't and won't be held accountable. The biggest lie in college hockey is that this an elite D core and McAvoy is NHL ready...he isn't even a good college defenseman at this point. MacLeod is the whipping boy because Tampa has given up on him. A kid who scored 3 goals in 4 periods has to sit a month to get another game...are you serious...and he excelled in Fabbro's spot not MacLeod's....and Krys and Fabbro have been so awesome all year that you can't give Diffley some games??...and then you actually roll out the tired excuse....this is a clown show of coaching ineptitude

Comment

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

Dunno

Bailey just won the women's championship- so anything is possible
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
        Can't disagree with anything you are saying but what you fail to realize is he can't make changes..he has sold his soul to the NHL...certain players can't and won't be held accountable. The biggest lie in college hockey is that this an elite D core and McAvoy is NHL ready...he isn't even a good college defenseman at this point. MacLeod is the whipping boy because Tampa has given up on him. A kid who scored 3 goals in 4 periods has to sit a month to get another game...are you serious...and he excelled in Fabbro's spot not MacLeod's....and Krys and Fabbro have been so awesome all year that you can't give Diffley some games??...and then you actually roll out the tired excuse....this is a clown show of coaching ineptitude
        I know I am running a big risk here, but I have to say the following: I have been trying to count the number of in-system goals we've scored this year. There haven't been very many at all. I can think of Greenway curling off a cycle and ripping a shot under the cross-bar a few weeks ago. But the one that sticks out in my mind the most as the best play they've done as planned all season was Shane Switzer crashing down from the point into the slot on the far side and getting a pass from the forward cycling down low for an easy wrister. That was Quinn's offense run to perfection. What's sad is that it is maybe the only time all season that it's happened.

Comment

So what you're saying is it's time to bring Parker back.
          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            So what you're saying is it's time to bring Parker back.
            We need a combo of Parker's coaching, game planning, and in-game adjustments and Quinn's recruiting, motivating, and developing.

Comment

We need a combo of Parker's coaching, game planning, and in-game adjustments and Quinn's recruiting, motivating, and developing.
              Sullivan would have been better choice back in 2013....Parker brought kids in started on 4th line or sat sometimes and developed players into Junior or Senior leaders. Name the 1 player Quinn has developed in his 4 years?

Comment

I know I am running a big risk here, but I have to say the following: I have been trying to count the number of in-system goals we've scored this year. There haven't been very many at all. I can think of Greenway curling off a cycle and ripping a shot under the cross-bar a few weeks ago. But the one that sticks out in my mind the most as the best play they've done as planned all season was Shane Switzer crashing down from the point into the slot on the far side and getting a pass from the forward cycling down low for an easy wrister. That was Quinn's offense run to perfection. What's sad is that it is maybe the only time all season that it's happened.
                He did it twice in the same game and then actually scored on a slap shot through a screen on the PP....never to be heard from again because of all that offensive NHL talent in front of him. Guess it was just lucky bounces that nobody else seems to get...judging from his resume he's been getting lucky bounces his whole life...in summary perhaps it's the Indian and not the arrow....but this team is so great offensively we can afford to sit players that actually produce.

From the Alberta Junior Hockey League website

Shane Switzer ....41 points in 60 games
                Brandon Hickey...34 points in 135 games

Must just be lucky bounces or maybe we just don't see practice...couldn't be that we don't want to **** off a future employer
                Last edited by BUtogether; 02-13-2017, 11:42 PM.

Comment

My 2 cents...

- Albie O'Connell is the one doing the recruiting and has landed a lot of talent - Quinn doesnt deserve as much credit as he gets for recruiting. Issue is that BU now is just seen as stepping stone before players turn pro. Players are "free agents" and are playing for the name on the back not the name on the front. Getting high end talent is great but the drawback is they are in it for themselves and not for the team. They are looking at staying at BU for a short time before moving on. Its how high end players think and the issue with having a team full of them is what you see in games like last night. Harvard isnt close to being as skilled as BU but they play for each other and not for themselves. You need to build a team an having top tier studs is a must but having too many is a risky proposition as selfish goals will cloud the goals of a team. Granted BU has enough talent to just chuck a puck out there and they can win most games but when they need a team win its not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    Issue is that BU now is just seen as stepping stone before players turn pro. Players are "free agents" and are playing for the name on the back not the name on the front. Getting high end talent is great but the drawback is they are in it for themselves and not for the team. They are looking at staying at BU for a short time before moving on. Its how high end players think and the issue with having a team full of them is what you see in games like last night.
                    Thank you. I have been saying this for two years now (to widespread criticism), but you have put it more succinctly than I. Perhaps I clouded the message by using phrases such as "lack of leadership and continuity" and "need for older players" but you were much more direct. I didn't want to accuse anyone of being "selfish" and thought that the message would get through without my having to say that, but I was apparently wrong.

People should get the message loud and clear now after reading your post.

Comment

Albie O'Connell is the one doing the recruiting and has landed a lot of talent
                      Yes, Albie has landed a lot of talent at BU. One should also remember that Albie was on the Harvard staff from 2011-2014 and led the recruiting efforts there. Harvard's entire Junior and Senior classes, and some of their Sophomores were recruited by him. IMO, it's no coincidence that Harvard's national resurgence the last 3 seasons correlate to the talent Albie recruited.

Harvard isnt close to being as skilled as BU
                      Guys like Kerfoot, Donato, Esposito, Malone, Fox are quite skilled. Harvard doesn't have as much high-end talent, but they have plenty of skill and depth throughout their lineup.

The experience and maturity of Harvard's skilled upperclassmen showed last night, and has translated to the success they're enjoying this season. It's what BU lacks this year despite the abundance of underclassmen talent; this BU team would greatly benefit from having more upperclassmen who are impact players.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        this BU team would greatly benefit from having more upperclassmen who are impact players.
                        The loss of Olsson was very significant. A great leadership guy who also had the ability to contribute in both zones.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Thank you. I have been saying this for two years now (to widespread criticism), but you have put it more succinctly than I. Perhaps I clouded the message by using phrases such as "lack of leadership and continuity" and "need for older players" but you were much more direct. I didn't want to accuse anyone of being "selfish" and thought that the message would get through without my having to say that, but I was apparently wrong.

People should get the message loud and clear now after reading your post.
                          Pardon the question, but players like Matt Grzelcyk...he was drafted by the Bruins if I have that right, but played 4 years. Did he do so because the B's did not need his services, or, was he more interested in getting his education? A great player either way. It's hard to have the good ones stay with the program, and in BU's case, there's "more where that came from". Not always the case when a team doesn't have the depth to make up for player loss...or the recruiting has been weak, and finally, when players you are really counting on to fill a gap, end up de-committing etc....
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Pardon the question, but players like Matt Grzelcyk...he was drafted by the Bruins if I have that right, but played 4 years. Did he do so because the B's did not need his services, or, was he more interested in getting his education? A great player either way. It's hard to have the good ones stay with the program, and in BU's case, there's "more where that came from". Not always the case when a team doesn't have the depth to make up for player loss...or the recruiting has been weak, and finally, when players you are really counting on to fill a gap, end up de-committing etc....
                            he was hurt after his jr year. playing the finals on 1 leg. required surgery and would have been no use to the b's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              My 2 cents...

- Albie O'Connell is the one doing the recruiting and has landed a lot of talent - Quinn doesnt deserve as much credit as he gets for recruiting. Issue is that BU now is just seen as stepping stone before players turn pro. Players are "free agents" and are playing for the name on the back not the name on the front. Getting high end talent is great but the drawback is they are in it for themselves and not for the team. They are looking at staying at BU for a short time before moving on. Its how high end players think and the issue with having a team full of them is what you see in games like last night. Harvard isnt close to being as skilled as BU but they play for each other and not for themselves. You need to build a team an having top tier studs is a must but having too many is a risky proposition as selfish goals will cloud the goals of a team. Granted BU has enough talent to just chuck a puck out there and they can win most games but when they need a team win its not going to happen.
                              Couldn't agree more with anything you have said...couple that with zero accountability and a guaranteed spot in the line up and you have an entitled culture of underachievement....in 2 years there hasn't been a top 5 defenseman who was sick..tired..or just needed a game off?...and don't give me the we need them to win bs...BU has won every game when they have been hurt or at WJC....zero adjustment from the coaching staff just head scratching claims of I don't know what happened. Here is a start. Go back to when you were scoring 5 goals a game and dominating play. Use that line up. Sorry if it doesn't fit your NHL agenda.

Comment

as stated below..... don't dismiss harvard. they are good. more than enough high end talent to make noise late into the spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X