X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    For those of you (especially oldtimers like myself who remember watching these games) who can't wait any longer for the meaningful games to start and are looking for something to do, here are a couple of links:

1971 National Championship Game: BU 4 - Minnesota 2

1972 National Championship Game: BU 4 - Cornell 0
    These are amazing. But I have questions:

1) How come they are playing with soccer nets? (They look smaller in the 1972 video)
    2) Are the goalies on double runners?
    3) Who designed BU's helmets?
    4) Why does this announcer sound like the same guy who narrated World War 2 newsreels?
    5) How come they screwed up who BU beat just one year earlier?
    6) Where was this game played?
    Last edited by Bomber; 03-08-2017, 12:57 PM.
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      The last time BU hosted NU in the quarterfinals attendance was 3,039 (Fri), 3,676 (Sat) and 3,884 (Sun). I know that the playoffs tickets were part of the season ticket package then and they aren't now, but I'll go with the same attendance: 3,000 Friday and 3,500 Saturday.

Sean
      Sean, why no prediction for Sunday? Don't you expect your Terrieres to take at least one game? If they do not, who will coach the team next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        These are amazing. But I have questions:

1) How come they are playing with soccer nets? (They look smaller in the 1972 video)
        2) Are the goalies on double runners?
        3) Who designed BU's helmets?
        4) Why does this announcer sound like the same guy who narrated World War 2 newsreels?
        5) How come they screwed up who BU beat just one year earlier?
        6) Where was this game played?
        The 1971 game was played in The War Memorial Auditorium in Syracuse. The 1972 game was played at Boston Garden.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
          The 1971 game was played in The War Memorial Auditorium in Syracuse...
          Correct. I was there. And it snowed pretty much the whole weekend.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            The 1971 game was played in The War Memorial Auditorium in Syracuse. The 1972 game was played at Boston Garden.
            BU was supposed to host the 1971 NCAAs at Walter Brown, but a steelworkers' strike delayed its completion until the 71-72 season.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Where was this game played?
              1971 - Syracuse
              1972 (and '73 and '74) - Boston Garden

Comment

Serious question about the nets. They were bigger in 1971 than 1972, right? I know the goalies are tiny with no equipment, but there's no way those are the same size nets.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Serious question about the nets. They were bigger in 1971 than 1972, right? I know the goalies are tiny with no equipment, but there's no way those are the same size nets.
                  I believe they were the "old" style...more "upright" with a bar in the back so the nets didn't have the "slack" that they do now. They changed them because sometimes pucks would "bounce" in and out so quickly you couldn't see if they went in. The newer nets (curved in the back and with more slack in the netting) tend to "absorb" the pucks better and more pucks actually stay in the net. I don't believe the 4' x 6' configuration has changed, well, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    I believe they were the "old" style...more "upright" with a bar in the back so the nets didn't have the "slack" that they do now. They changed them because sometimes pucks would "bounce" in and out so quickly you couldn't see if they went in. The newer nets (curved in the back and with more slack in the netting) tend to "absorb" the pucks better and more pucks actually stay in the net. I don't believe the 4' x 6' configuration has changed, well, ever.
                    This is absolutely correct. The design and materials have evolved but the 4x6 frame dimensions have been around pretty much since the game was invented.

What has changed is goalie equipment. Leg pads back in 71-72 didn't extend much above the knees, the waffle was smaller, the catcher was more like a baseball first basemen's mitt. Over time, the manufacturers kept enlarging the pads while the NHL and various governing bodies kept caving in by changing the rules to legalize the otherwise illegal equipment. The tail wagged the dog for quite awhile.
                    Last edited by Split-N; 03-08-2017, 03:58 PM.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

No different than golf and the balls & drivers
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Congrats to Jake Oettinger on being named a Mike Richter Award semi-finalist!

https://twitter.com/LetsPlay_Hockey/...70104284381186

I don't think a Terrier has ever been up for this, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          Congrats to Jake Oettinger on being named a Mike Richter Award semi-finalist!

https://twitter.com/LetsPlay_Hockey/...70104284381186

I don't think a Terrier has ever been up for this, right?
                          From a google search, it looks like they have only announced 5 "finalists" in the previous 3 years the award has been around instead of the 10 "semifinalists" they announced this year. Oettinger is the first Terrier named.

Comment

Interesting. American Sports Network Reportedly Ceases Operation at End of Month.

Comment

• Yeah. No more 6:00 Friday games.
                              Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU2K View Post
                                Yeah. No more 6:00 Friday games.
                                Or 8:30. Yay!
                                Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                                Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Working...
                                X