X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    UNH isnt dead yet....

Dude, what part of Spring Break so no students on campus equals empty arenas don't you understand? We whine about this every ****ing year. Come up with a solution, I'm all ears.
    Apples vs. oranges. Spring break used to be during the quarter-finals. Are you saying the attendance in THIS round is equivalent to what the quarter-finals used to be? I think it is MUCH less since they added this round.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Not so fast my friend. You get Northeastern if UNH wins today.
      Obviously when I said that it was based on the way the two teams played. I didn't expect the amazing Jekyll and Hyde UNH performance last night.

Comment

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Apples vs. oranges. Spring break used to be during the quarter-finals. Are you saying the attendance in THIS round is equivalent to what the quarter-finals used to be? I think it is MUCH less since they added this round.
        Spring break at Northeastern, BU as well, spans both rounds. Kids left Friday and won't return until this coming Sunday. I still don't see what your argument is here. QF series historically had bad attendance nationwide for years.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          Spring break at Northeastern, BU as well, spans both rounds. Kids left Friday and won't return until this coming Sunday. I still don't see what your argument is here. QF series historically had bad attendance nationwide for years.
          But THIS isn't the quarterfinal series. That's next week. Did you even read what I wrote?

Comment

But THIS isn't the quarterfinal series. That's next week. Did you even read what I wrote?
            Yes, and the point still holds true that Spring Break would negatively affect attendance at both QF and octofinal series. So again, what's your argument here?
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Yes, and the point still holds true that Spring Break would negatively affect both QF and octofinal series. So again, what's your argument here?
              The attendance in the "extra" round is way worse. My point is that it's a money grab (advertising money - as long as a sponsor pays the expenses they'll just keep adding games). Asking fans to keep paying for more and more "series" is, to me, the epitome of greed. Not to mention that it renders the regular season increasingly less meaningful. But I'm not going to carry on and on with this...it has been discussed on several threads all week anyway. To me, if I were a league representative, I would be embarrassed. But again, as long as "someone" pays apparently they couldn't care about what the "appearance" may be. But my larger point is, even IF it wasn't spring break, the attendance would be worse for THIS series. In other words, the more they add, the less interest there is. But they continue to have them anyway.

Comment

So, great. Northeastern. Just when mookie had me convinced that getting a crack at Merrimack to make up for those games in January was a good thing, Merrimack had to screw us yet again by blowing it in their series against UNH. And now Northeastern comes to Agganis. Is BU on break this week? Is Northeastern? I hope the team is well rested and not rusty. I know BU's destiny is in their own hands, but what else would need to happen, if anything, to keep them east?

Comment

The attendance in the "extra" round is way worse.
                  The one time BU hosted the "extra" first round against UMass (2014): attendance of 1.7k and 1.8k.

The next season when BU hosted the HEA QF (2015): attendance of 2.7k and 3.0k.

So roughly, the new first round takes around 1k off of an already poor attendance figure at BU.

Even though it does poorly at schools like BU and NU, Merrimack and UVM had good attendance figures this past weekend.

Comment

The attendance in the "extra" round is way worse. My point is that it's a money grab (advertising money - as long as a sponsor pays the expenses they'll just keep adding games). Asking fans to keep paying for more and more "series" is, to me, the epitome of greed. Not to mention that it renders the regular season increasingly less meaningful. But I'm not going to carry on and on with this...it has been discussed on several threads all week anyway. To me, if I were a league representative, I would be embarrassed. But again, as long as "someone" pays apparently they couldn't care about what the "appearance" may be. But my larger point is, even IF it wasn't spring break, the attendance would be worse for THIS series. In other words, the more they add, the less interest there is. But they continue to have them anyway.
                    While you're right that octofinals generally do poorly from an attendance perspective, I hardly think the motivation is as nefarious as you make it out to be. The main goal is to give all 12 teams a shot at the conference tournament championship. Now, if you want to argue that not all 12 deserve that shot and it should be narrowed to eight before the tournament, that's a separate argument. But I hardly think the conference is running to the bank because of these games. Also, from the fan's bank account perspective what's changed? That weekend used to be a regular season weekend that would require fans to buy ticket(s) anyways.

I don't know what structure they'll go to with 11 next season, but if you want to argue 9-11 should be dropped and the final 8 advance to the tournament that's a good discussion to have. Though I think the best argument there isn't the cash grab one but instead to have more RS games. Also, if every other league in the country is going to have a consolation game HE needs to have one as well no matter how dumb they are. From a PWR perspective it hurts the two semifinal losers compared to other conference semifinal losers.

And to Scarlet, yes BU is on break this week as is Northeastern.
                    Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-06-2017, 09:49 AM.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

While you're right that octofinals generally do poorly from an attendance perspective, I hardly think the motivation is as nefarious as you make it out to be. The main goal is to give all 12 teams a shot at the conference tournament championship. Now, if you want to argue that not all 12 deserve that shot and it should be narrowed to eight before the tournament, that's a separate argument. But I hardly think the conference is running to the bank because of these games. Also, from the fan's bank account perspective what's changed? That weekend used to be a regular season weekend that would require fans to buy ticket(s) anyways.
                      We have the same number of regular season games as before. The schedule has just changed. So it is an outlet of extra fan $$$.

I hardly think the motivation is as pure as you make it out to be. They may want to give all teams a shot, but I am sure $$$ is an important factor as well. I think the truth lies somewhere between you and chickod.

Comment

Do you think the extra round of playoffs is a way to make up for the no consolation game?

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          We have the same number of regular season games as before. The schedule has just changed. So it is an outlet of extra fan $$$.

I hardly think the motivation is as pure as you make it out to be. They may want to give all teams a shot, but I am sure $$$ is an important factor as well. I think the truth lies somewhere between you and chickod.
                          The same amount of conference games with 12 teams as there were with 10? There were 27 conference games with 10 teams, 22 now. I agree there's a financial incentive, but to call it a pure cash grab is more than a stretch. Allowing all teams into the conference tournament is pretty much standard across the sports which give an autobid to the tournament winner. And no, the octofinals aren't a makeup for the no consolation game. I'd be in favor of getting rid of them next year and going back to the one game play-in scenario for a few of the bottom teams.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

The same amount of conference games with 12 teams as there were with 10? There were 27 conference games with 10 teams, 22 now. I agree there's a financial incentive, but to call it a pure cash grab is more than a stretch. Allowing all teams into the conference tournament is pretty much standard across the sports which give an autobid to the tournament winner. And no, the octofinals aren't a makeup for the no consolation game. I'd be in favor of getting rid of them next year and going back to the one game play-in scenario for a few of the bottom teams.
                            The number of overall regular season games is the same, so it is more cash outlay by the fans (as small as it is in the big picture.) Hockey East makes its money through the playoff games, not regular season conference games. So the number of regular season conference games is not relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                              The number of overall regular season games is the same, so it is more cash outlay by the fans (as small as it is in the big picture.) Hockey East makes its money through the playoff games, not regular season conference games. So the number of regular season conference games is not relevant.
                              Went back to my original post on it, meant to say conference games originally not RS...sleepy Monday. It's an extra 2-3 games for the home fans of 33% of the league. While the league certainly is profiting to an extent, I don't see the octofinals as this ploy to milk fans of as much money as humanly possible.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

UML, BC and Notre Dame all have a bye this week, don't move at all in the poll. BU has a bye, drops a position. UNFAIR!!!!!!

Waiting to hear back from Agganis about tickets for this weekend. I ordered them and remember adding my credit card info yet now it's asking me to pay. I know many people here whined and complained but I liked it when we got these tickets with our season tickets. One less thing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                                X