• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

Originally posted by DLG View Post
    Interesting in this endless discussion not one mention of Cloonan
    Has played every game mostly as third line center and has 2 assists
    Have to get goals from third line and he obviously is not contributing
    Whoever said on here that he has speed and not much else hit the nail on the head. Looks good flying into the zone but then loses the puck. He had a nice start to last season but hasn't shown much since.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
      Interesting in this endless discussion not one mention of Cloonan
      Has played every game mostly as third line center and has 2 assists
      Have to get goals from third line and he obviously is not contributing
      Meanwhile, Andren has 4 assists in 10 less games played.
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Whoever said on here that he has speed and not much else hit the nail on the head. Looks good flying into the zone but then loses the puck. He had a nice start to last season but hasn't shown much since.
        If our zone entries were anything other than dump and suck, he could potentially play an important role on the team, because he can certainly get the puck into the zone. Just needs someone else there with him.

Comment

That leads me to my next point ... for a head coach who is so into advanced analytics and sports science, why in the world did he decide to turn back the clock on our offense about 20 years? This is so stupid it's really become absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
            That leads me to my next point ... for a head coach who is so into advanced analytics and sports science, why in the world did he decide to turn back the clock on our offense about 20 years? This is so stupid it's really become absurd.
            They should simply go back to the lines they had when they opened the season against Colgate and leave them be.

Comment

To me it just feels like this BU team iust loaded with talent, but just can't put it together as a team. You do see this from time to time with teams that have so much talent, just aren't great teams. In saying that, they can blow anyone oiut at any time, hopefully the right the ship tonight as a NU fan, another NU win and UNH loss they leap frog them into 8th. The Last home playoff spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                To me it just feels like this BU team iust loaded with talent, but just can't put it together as a team. You do see this from time to time with teams that have so much talent, just aren't great teams. In saying that, they can blow anyone oiut at any time.
                This is spot on. To date they've really had difficulty geling as a cohesive unit as opposed to a mashup of a lot of pieces. A small percentage of that has had to do with injuries that have forced lineup changes. A lot more falls at the feet of Quinn himself for shuffling things around more than necessary as well as some players not contributing at levels they were expected to.

Outside of the Doyle to forward move last night, I actually like what he did and hope he sticks with it. Curry and Chabot are both great energy guys and can contribute offensively from the fourth line, moving Keller off center freed him up a bit, and Roberto doesn't have quite the offensive skill to a first liner so him being alongside Bobo and Harper was more effective. It also allowed DQ to flip Bellows and Roberto between the two lines as needed.

The comment about Cloonan is sadly true as well. He's an exceptional skater but a total non-factor offensively. It's a wonder that he hasn't scored a goal since Nov 6, 2015 and only has eight assists in that time yet still sees consistent minutes. At some point, you have to put the puck in the net or at least be a threat to to be seeing the ice every night on the third line.

@defkit - Disagree on Bellows, he looked fine. His penalty was a necessary hold because a defenseman pinched and lost his man that resulted in a 2 on 1. Bellows got back and held the guy to prevent a shot. He looked more confident out there and got off some real good shot attempts. He still has one of the best releases on the team, so as long as he's skating hard and not taking bad penalties he needs to be out there instead of one of the other scrubs. I'd sub out Cloonan right now before Bellows.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                  Maybe he's trying too hard and overthinking everything? Either way, we like what he's doing and he should keep it up!
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                  Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    This is spot on. To date they've really had difficulty geling as a cohesive unit as opposed to a mashup of a lot of pieces. A small percentage of that has had to do with injuries that have forced lineup changes. A lot more falls at the feet of Quinn himself for shuffling things around more than necessary as well as some players not contributing at levels they were expected to.

Outside of the Doyle to forward move last night, I actually like what he did and hope he sticks with it. Curry and Chabot are both great energy guys and can contribute offensively from the fourth line, moving Keller off center freed him up a bit, and Roberto doesn't have quite the offensive skill to a first liner so him being alongside Bobo and Harper was more effective. It also allowed DQ to flip Bellows and Roberto between the two lines as needed.

The comment about Cloonan is sadly true as well. He's an exceptional skater but a total non-factor offensively. It's a wonder that he hasn't scored a goal since Nov 6, 2015 and only has eight assists in that time yet still sees consistent minutes. At some point, you have to put the puck in the net or at least be a threat to to be seeing the ice every night on the third line.

@defkit - Disagree on Bellows, he looked fine. His penalty was a necessary hold because a defenseman pinched and lost his man that resulted in a 2 on 1. Bellows got back and held the guy to prevent a shot. He looked more confident out there and got off some real good shot attempts. He still has one of the best releases on the team, so as long as he's skating hard and not taking bad penalties he needs to be out there instead of one of the other scrubs. I'd sub out Cloonan right now before Bellows.
                    Agree with most of what you have said...Bellows was better last night and the penalty wasn't bad but he has got to stop turning over pucks. Liked the line combos and BU controlled the game after the first period. I would expect Andren to step in for Doyle...and Doyle back with MacLeod for Diffley....I have a feeling BU breaks out of it tonight with a big win.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                      Agree with most of what you have said...Bellows was better last night and the penalty wasn't bad but he has got to stop turning over pucks. Liked the line combos and BU controlled the game after the first period. I would expect Andren to step in for Doyle...and Doyle back with MacLeod for Diffley....I have a feeling BU breaks out of it tonight with a big win.
                      Kieffer definitely still has things to improve on for sure, turnovers being one, but he was a generally positive contributor last night.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                        Maybe he's trying too hard and overthinking everything?
                        Agreed. I believe this is the 1st year Quinn has brought on additional resources behind the scenes to provide comprehensive analytics and sport science. I worry he's being presented with so much data but is still trying to make sense of it all and how to use it effectively. It might be a contributing factor to some of the decisions we've seen with lineups as well with in-game decision making.

It's a common management issue, regardless of industry.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

Fair enough. I agree the hold was a good penalty. I was thinking he had another penalty, but perhaps not.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                            I have a feeling BU breaks out of it tonight with a big win.
                            That would be nice...

Comment

I've never used ESPN3. Is it as easy as just selecting the game and it streams? No need to set up an account? Free?

Comment

You have to sign in with your cable account first (provided you get ESPN through your cable and they've made themselves available on ESPN's site, which most have). Besides that you just have to find the game and click it yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X