X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU 2017 Season Thread II: Terriers rising

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Disclaimer here is that I did not see or listen to the game... Call me crazy though but somehow I don't think. 3-2 away loss to the #7 team in the country is something to get too worked up over. Especially during the "always pitfall" weekend game during the beanpot week.

Hope the team puts it behind them and comes out ready on Monday in the championship game that can also have big pairwise implications.
    If you saw it you'd feel awful. Jake was fine, no problems. The defense was unspectacular but not horrendous. Lowell is a good team and is going to get their chances.

The offense has regressed to a point that it is downright putrid. Yes, Lowell's system makes it really tough to generate offense and they deserve credit for shutting us down. That was some of the worst play on a power play I've seen in years. I don't know what is going on with Greenway - I almost hope he's battling an injury or sickness because I've never seen him get manhandled behind the net and play so passively in front of the net as he has over the past few weeks. He's become a total nonfactor. I would not be opposed to him being benched Monday night if there's no health issue in play. Two plays stick out where a loose puck was behind the net and he and a UML player went for it at the same time. Both times the UML guy easily got position on him and knocked Jordan to the ground. Completely uncharacteristic for him. These kids don't have a killer instinct yet nor do I see a desire to win for the team. I have no idea whether they have one foot out the door to the NHL - I'm not in their minds - but their play exudes that of a group of talented pieces who are uncoordinated and unmotivated to win for one another.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I think we completed more passes to Lowell than a fellow Terrier. Especially when trying to clear the zone on the penalty kill.

On the PP it seemed like all they wanted to do was try to get it to the guy parked in front. Screw the point shot. Better to get none.

Hopefully they have tape of how Lowell defended that because they may learn how not to give up so many wide point blank shots to the other team. Good thing the goalie showed up or they would have given up 6 or more.

And then in the last 3 minutes they start flying and putting on good pressure looking for the equalizer. And they almost did it.

I thought the 4th line looked like they were excited to play. Phelps was getting a lot of kill time. Couple problems on the clear but at least he was trying.

And I agree on Greenway. How does he get taken down behind the net so much? And then he goes down in front when called on the crosscheck.

I give up trying to figure these guys out. So frustrating.
      Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Coach Q trotting out the tired "teenagers vs. 20 year-olds" excuse is weak sauce.

Greenway needs to watch a game from the stands. The 4th line needs to start the Beanpot. A powerplay "Wolf" needs to be called. https://youtu.be/RMbAANfUJhI?t=55s

BU Hockey: "That's All You Had to Say!"
        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
          At least you got nachos and saw Jasmine.
          which is nice
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-qt1Rl16Y

mookie is tired of the "oh woe is us with the young kids playing 24 yr olds..."
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-qt1Rl16Y

mookie is tired of the "oh woe is us with the young kids playing 24 yr olds..."
              As I was saying... (is this thing on?)
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
                I think we completed more passes to Lowell than a fellow Terrier. Especially when trying to clear the zone on the penalty kill.

On the PP it seemed like all they wanted to do was try to get it to the guy parked in front. Screw the point shot. Better to get none.

Hopefully they have tape of how Lowell defended that because they may learn how not to give up so many wide point blank shots to the other team. Good thing the goalie showed up or they would have given up 6 or more.

And then in the last 3 minutes they start flying and putting on good pressure looking for the equalizer. And they almost did it.

I thought the 4th line looked like they were excited to play. Phelps was getting a lot of kill time. Couple problems on the clear but at least he was trying.

And I agree on Greenway. How does he get taken down behind the net so much? And then he goes down in front when called on the crosscheck.

I give up trying to figure these guys out. So frustrating.
                Is it really that difficult to understand...the inmates run the asylum...sit someone for a game or drop them down a line and you get a call from their advisor or NHL GM...or even worse they send their next draft pick somewhere else...welcome to the wonderful world of NHL *** kissing...where the great ones don't stay...and the ones you wish would leave stay...in the immortal words of DQ on the NHL network "the only guy who can screw this up you are looking at him"....hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  If you saw it you'd feel awful. Jake was fine, no problems. The defense was unspectacular but not horrendous. Lowell is a good team and is going to get their chances.

The offense has regressed to a point that it is downright putrid. Yes, Lowell's system makes it really tough to generate offense and they deserve credit for shutting us down. That was some of the worst play on a power play I've seen in years. I don't know what is going on with Greenway - I almost hope he's battling an injury or sickness because I've never seen him get manhandled behind the net and play so passively in front of the net as he has over the past few weeks. He's become a total nonfactor. I would not be opposed to him being benched Monday night if there's no health issue in play. Two plays stick out where a loose puck was behind the net and he and a UML player went for it at the same time. Both times the UML guy easily got position on him and knocked Jordan to the ground. Completely uncharacteristic for him. These kids don't have a killer instinct yet nor do I see a desire to win for the team. I have no idea whether they have one foot out the door to the NHL - I'm not in their minds - but their play exudes that of a group of talented pieces who are uncoordinated and unmotivated to win for one another.
                  It exudes entitlement ...they aren't nearly as talented as they think they are but my god keep rolling them out there and telling them how great they are...Switzer scores 3 goals in 2 games and gets one game since on the 3rd D unit and you are on here dissecting almost turnovers....tell me about McEvoy...double shifted.odd man rush after odd man rush....out on every god awful PP and has 3 freaking goals this year..one tap in and one off his ***. I have never in my life seen such praise for such little return...first D man I have ever seen praised for back checking after his man beats him....oh the blaspemy

Comment

I think the sense of entitlement is more imaged or fan based than anything else really. BU was projected to be fourth preseason; and look, they are third. It basically sounds like expectations for the team are exactly what the team has achieved so far. Expecting the team to waltz in to and beat every other team based on superior talent is absurd, the only person that expects it is you. It's like saying that a team that is an 80% favorite to win each game should win every game. What?! They lost 1 out of 5 games?! The outrage! They were favored in all of them!
                    Boston University '16
                    University of Michigan '18

Comment

Originally posted by WolverineofTerrier View Post
                      I think the sense of entitlement is more imaged or fan based than anything else really. BU was projected to be fourth preseason; and look, they are third. It basically sounds like expectations for the team are exactly what the team has achieved so far. Expecting the team to waltz in to and beat every other team based on superior talent is absurd, the only person that expects it is you. It's like saying that a team that is an 80% favorite to win each game should win every game. What?! They lost 1 out of 5 games?! The outrage! They were favored in all of them!
                      If the Wolverine in your name is what I think it is you should know all about ...how the NHL love affair works out...1 tournament appearance in 5 years...it is not about winning every game it is about getting better throughout the year and this team is going back wards. They are relying on an elite goaltender and are creating zero offense...not acceptable with the talent on this team...I don't believe it was the fan base on draft night making the bold statement about the only person who can screw this up....there are only a few players on this team that have earned the right not be replaced on any given night.

Comment

Originally posted by WolverineofTerrier View Post
                        I think the sense of entitlement is more imaged or fan based than anything else really.
                        You know, if we want to really be honest with ourselves, this is correct. Admittedly it's hard to be objective. But I have said for two years now that this is what you get with youth and inexperience. Inconsistency is one of the things that you have to accept. I have said over and over that it is going to be difficult to have continuity. You just have to hope that they come up big when it counts. That remains to be seen. I also feel that part of this obsession with "perfection" can be blamed on the Pairwise system. It's really a shame that you can't just focus on winning your league and then peaking in the post-season. Gone are the days when you can rest players, try out new combinations or let your backup goalie play, because there is NO BREATHING ROOM. The obsession with numbers, statistics, rankings, etc is getting completely out of control. The only thing that matters is who wins the last game of the year. Teams should be allowed to develop "nomally" and not have the pressure of performing in October as well as they need to in March.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                          If the Wolverine in your name is what I think it is you should know all about ...how the NHL love affair works out...1 tournament appearance in 5 years.
                          Or maybe their coach has stayed past his best years and possibly should consider moving on. Hopefully Red is smart enough to get out before things get out of control.
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Taking a look at the standing after tonight's games BU better get their act together after Monday if they want a #2 seed or even a bye with 4 teams below them closing in. Losing 3 out of the last 4 league games and looking bad doing it is not where they should be at with a young "talented" team that should be getting better not worse. They need 3 out of next 4 to be safe. The BC sweep this season is an anomaly considering the quality BU teams since 1994 that couldn't do it, more of a reflection of BC's play then BU running on all cylinders. It was basically Oettinger outplaying Wohl. Both BU and BC seem to have the same makeup the past few years with the exciting young NHL talent but then having to rebuild seemingly every year and doesn't look like that will change anytime soon based on their recruiting classes scheduled to come in. You can sense the frustration from the BC side who had previously figured out how to balance the talent pretty effectively over the past 10-15 years.

Comment

Can't imagine they'll be playing Monday night. Blizzard warning until 7:00 p.m. Monday. 8-12 inches in Boston and 12-18 West.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Can't imagine they'll be playing Monday night. Blizzard warning until 7:00 p.m. Monday. 8-12 inches in Boston and 12-18 West.
                                Snow ends late morning. I would say it goes on as scheduled.

Comment

Working...
                                X