Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Women's D-III NCAA Selection Thread

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Based on last week's NCAA Regional rankings, Adrian is...

0-2-0 vs E1 Plattsburgh
    1-0-0 vs E4 Elmira
    3-0-0 vs W4 Lake Forest
    3-0-0 vs W6 St. Scholastica

For a total record vs Ranked Teams of 7-2-0
    So ranked at the time of the game? Edit: Ahha Regional rankings, joke for the west
    Last edited by Call It; 02-20-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Call It View Post
      So ranked at the time of the game?
      No, ranked at the time of selection by the NCAA DIII Women's Hockey Regional Committees. Not d3hockey, not USCHO, not KRACH. The NCAA Regional Rankings are the only ones that matter.

I'm on mobile and too lazy to make it a link, but the official rankings can be found at http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-women/d3/regional-ranking
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
        So ranked at the time of the game?
        No - ranked in the NCAA rankings are all that matter for the NCAA selection criteria. What a team's unofficial ranking is at the time two teams play is irrelevant. In fact, really only the final NCAA ranking matters in this tiebreaker/selection criteria (and we don't ever see that ranking).

Too much parity this year in the NESCAC for more than 1 team to make the tourney in my humble opinion. I think there is a realistic chance that Middlebury loses and doesn't get in and the NESCAC gets the one team only in the tourney.
        Last edited by HockeyEast33; 02-20-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Can someone please upset Plattsburgh and/ or Elmira?

Norwich and Middlebury will probably perform like they did last year in their conference playoffs... just a hunch

Comment

Can someone please upset Plattsburgh and/ or Elmira?

Norwich and Middlebury will probably perform like they did last year in their conference playoffs... just a hunch
            Do you really want that to happen ?? if Plattsburgh gets upset in the ECACW playoffs, they will get one of the two C bids. The other one will more than likely go west !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              Do you really want that to happen ?? if Plattsburgh gets upset in the ECACW playoffs, they will get one of the two C bids. The other one will more than likely go west !
              Yeah - I didn't get that either.....

Comment

The NCHA is a terrible league this year. Adrian is a top 10 team, not 5. Lake Forest isn't even close and they rest are Tier II. If Adrian didn't go east than they would not have had ANY competition.

So Lake Forest & Endicott have great rankings for Win% and terrible for SOS Rankings, like 33 & 24. If a team goes 25-0 but only plays the bottom teams, where in KARCH would they be ranked?
                First off...you do realize that the KRACH ratings have absolutely no impact on anything right?? However, Your Beloved KRACH has Adrian as the 2nd best team in the country with the 4th ranked SOS

Are you really that out of it that you don't know what I was referencing when I said, "against currently ranked teams"?

The NCAA Regional Rankings are a joke? They are the ones that matter so joke about them all you want, but they decide everything.

Its funny how you comment about how terrible the NCHA is but fail to see how mediocre the NESCAC is.

Its also funny that you hate on Endicott, as I pointed out in another post. Endicott being ranked helps Middlebury since Middlebury beat them. If Conn or Hamilton were ranked, it would hurt Middlebury since Middlebury lost to those teams. You call Endicott's schedule weak because they "Only played the "bad" NESCAC teams. Endicott didn't lose to any of the "bottom" NESCAC teams that they played. Middlebury, Hamilton, Conn all lost at least one game to those teams.

To counter your question...what if you have the strongest SOS but lose to all the good teams you play? Does that make you good?

Lastly, the fact that you want Plattsburgh to lose shows just how clueless you are in all of this.
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                  I'm just a fan of the underdog (not teams like Lake Forest & Endicott who haven't done anything and are overrated!). You're correct, I will save prayers for a Platty loss in the NCAA. An Elmira loss would potentially allow another team to the dance, which would be good for D3 Women's Ice Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Call It View Post
                    I'm just a fan of the underdog (not teams like Lake Forest & Endicott who haven't done anything and are overrated!). You're correct, I will save prayers for a Platty loss in the NCAA. An Elmira loss would potentially allow another team to the dance, which would be good for D3 Women's Ice Hockey
                    So if Endicott and Lake Forest are so undeserving...who are your more deserving "underdogs"? The fact of the matter is that LFC and Endicott have beat the teams they are supposed to.

Genius...if Plattsburgh wins the ECAC-W than that means Elmira lost.
                    UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                      Genius...if Plattsburgh wins the ECAC-W than that means Elmira lost.
                      I think he meant an earlier Elmira loss - losing to Plattsburgh won't hurt them....

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        I think he meant an earlier Elmira loss - losing to Plattsburgh won't hurt them....
                        Actually, a loss to a ranked team hurts more than a loss to an unranked one.
                        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

New Rankings are up

East
                          1 Plattsburgh
                          2. Middlebury
                          3. Norwich
                          4. Elmira
                          5. ENDICOTT (this will probably flip crosscheck and callits' lids...or are they the same person
                          6. Conn College

West
                          1. River Falls
                          2. Adrian
                          3. Gustavus
                          4. Lake Forest
                          5. Eau Claire
                          6. Augsburg

Surprised to see Eau Claire jump in...if they weren't better than St Scholastica last week why are they better this week when they didn't play? Granted CSS played Finlandia...did that hurt the SOS enough to drop them out even though they didn't lose?
                          Last edited by gojackets; 02-21-2017, 04:22 PM.
                          UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                            5. ENDICOTT (this will probably flip crosscheck and callits' lids...or are they the same person
                            Yes, it most certainly will.

Surprised to see Eau Claire jump in...if they weren't better than St Scholastica last week why are they better this week when they didn't play? Granted CSS played Finlandia...did that hurt the SOS enough to drop them out even though they didn't lose?
                            That would be my guess, although I cannot access the data sheet to verify this because NCAA.com appears to be having some technical difficulties at present...

Since the committees appear to be employing "Record vs Ranked" as referring to the previous week's rankings for each weekly ranking (but presumably will use the 'correct' method of referring to the current rankings themselves in the process of creating the current ranking), I would entertain the possibility that Adrian and UWRF swap places now that UWEC is ranked. Still not a guarantee, given the disparity between their SOS metrics, but UWEC being ranked does not help the Falcons' résumé.
                            Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                              Yes, it most certainly will.

That would be my guess, although I cannot access the data sheet to verify this because NCAA.com appears to be having some technical difficulties at present...

Since the committees appear to be employing "Record vs Ranked" as referring to the previous week's rankings for each weekly ranking (but presumably will use the 'correct' method of referring to the current rankings themselves in the process of creating the current ranking), I would entertain the possibility that Adrian and UWRF swap places now that UWEC is ranked. Still not a guarantee, given the disparity between their SOS metrics, but UWEC being ranked does not help the Falcons' résumé.
                              I just noticed that St. Scholastica lost to River Falls on Tuesday...probably why they dropped out.

But you bring up a good point. That makes River Falls 3-2 (60%) vs ranked teams and Adrian is now 4-2 (67%) Is that a big enough difference to outweigh the SOS difference?

As far as I'm concerned the teams are basically a tie. Same record, same results against common opponents, slight difference in results against ranked, and I think a pretty big difference in SOS. Which I don't get. What's hurting Adrian's SOS so much with the NCAA? River Falls played many games against the lower end of the MIAC/NCHA and 2 against Northland.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                                I just noticed that St. Scholastica lost to River Falls on Tuesday...probably why they dropped out.

But you bring up a good point. That makes River Falls 3-2 (60%) vs ranked teams and Adrian is now 4-2 (67%) Is that a big enough difference to outweigh the SOS difference?

As far as I'm concerned the teams are basically a tie. Same record, same results against common opponents, slight difference in results against ranked, and I think a pretty big difference in SOS. Which I don't get. What's hurting Adrian's SOS so much with the NCAA? River Falls played many games against the lower end of the MIAC/NCHA and 2 against Northland.
                                Right, I forgot that with CSS dropping out of the rankings Adrian lost 3 wins on the record vs ranked... In the end, no. That is not a big enough difference to counteract the SOS deficit.
                                Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

Working...
                                X