Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Big Question of the Week - Are we actually cheering for NMU (playing MSU) this coming weekend so we can lock up the #2 seed? Cheering for NMU seems sick in my mind, but I really don't want that going down to the final weekend. Tech (51 pts) needs MSU (42 pts) to gain 2 or less points this weekend to lock up the #2 seed as MSU holds the head-to-head tiebreaker with Tech. Even if NMU gains 4 pts this weekend, they could still miss the playoffs if Tech sweeps them and other teams win their games. So we could "thank" the Wildcats by potentially ending their season.
    Ryan
    IMO we're best off if NMU sweeps next weekend. But, the way Tech has been playing the last few weeks, it isn't going to matter.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Still upright

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

It would be a huge benefit to get second, so yeah , I'm rooting for NMU, but realistically I expect a split in both series.
    However, other than that, what I hope to have happen is we get back to improving our game. To me that's the most important thing. If we are going to get very far in the post season we have to get better in some areas. I think it's possible too, especially if we have an extended time at home.Heck I'd be happy if we could just stop the easy goals the other team gets. I think we would have won maybe 5 more games if they had to earn their goals.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 02-13-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    It would be a huge benefit to get second, so yeah , I'm rooting for NMU, but realistically I expect a split in both series.
    However, other than that, what I hope to have happen is we get back to improving our game. To me that's the most important thing. If we are going to get very far in the post season we have to get better in some areas. I think it's possible too, especially if we have an extended time at home.Heck I'd be happy if we could just stop the easy goals the other team gets. I think we would have won maybe 5 more games if they had to earn their goals.
    Is there something wrong with my math? Don't we clinch #2 with a NMU/MSU split?
    MTU is 10 points up on MSU...nevermind USCHO sucks at counting our 3v3/SO results and we're only 9 points clear of MSU...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    we're only 9 points clear of MSU...
    Correct, currently Tech 51, MSU 42.
    If NMU's goaltending continues to be like is has been the last few weeks, I don't want NMU in the playoffs regardless of their seed.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Correct, currently Tech 51, MSU 42.
    If NMU's goaltending continues to be like is has been the last few weeks, I don't want NMU in the playoffs regardless of their seed.
    Ryan
    The goaltending hasn't been the whole story. NMU's team defense in front of him has been tenacious and committed, and they have done a tremendous job in limiting Grade A scoring chances. It's been a remarkable job by all of them.

Be that as it may and as impressive as the shutout streak has been, let's keep in perspective that 3 of the 5 have come against UAA and UAF. The other two came against a schizophrenic BG team.

That being said, the Huskies have seen their own challenges in scoring.

I'm curious to watch the series against the Mavs.
    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 02-15-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    The goaltending hasn't been the whole story. NMU's team defense in front of him has been tenacious and committed, and they have done a tremendous job in limiting Grade A scoring chances. It's been a remarkable job by all of them.

Be that as it may and as impressive as the shutout streak has been, let's keep in perspective that 4 of the 5 have come against UAA and UAF. The first one came against a schizophrenic BG team.

That being said, the Huskies have seen their own challenges in scoring.

I'm curious to watch the series against the Mavs.
    Minnesota St holds the tiebreaker over Tech. So any combination of 4 pts gained by Tech or lost by Minn St clinched second for Tech. If NMU wins one and takes the other to 3x3 or SO, 2nd belongs to Tech.

For those that didn't listen to the Mel Pearson show, Joe Shawhan sat in as Mel was out. He comes across with great passion for the team/game of hockey. A couple questions related to Angus vs. Kero/Wintjes.

Dirk keeps asking about Steman, but could he be a redshirt or has be played too much this year? Even if he's healthy you'd think he'd redshirt if possible after missing so much of the year.

Joe Shawhan was in for Mel today:
    Dirk asked for any info on Steaman - Joe knew nothing. Both him and Baltus looked great Saturday morning. Just need to keep monitoring Steman.

Most important for Joe is the first round matchup
    Walt is a great friend of Joe, happy for their recent success at NMU

How do you keep Kero/Wintjes motivated with Angus having less than perfect performance on Friday then getting the Sat start?
    Joe takes Tony Dungy approach, not coaches job to motivate players, but sees the point of the question. We're working with those guys everyday, and they are working, have no problem putting any of the three in net.
    Thought maybe no Angus last Saturday, but can see that if Angus had sat, with the bye it would've been two weeks of stewing on a less than perfect game.

Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies View Post
    For those that didn't listen to the Mel Pearson show, Joe Shawhan sat in as Mel was out. He comes across with great passion for the team/game of hockey. A couple questions related to Angus vs. Kero/Wintjes.

Dirk keeps asking about Steman, but could he be a redshirt or has be played too much this year? Even if he's healthy you'd think he'd redshirt if possible after missing so much of the year.
    I'd have to dig deeper on the rules but its possible he could redshirt since he hasn't played in 2017. He did play in 12 games and I have a feeling thats a few too many to get a medical redshirt (without a fight).

EDIT: Ok game limit is 30% so MTU has to get to 40 games played for Steman to be able to medical redshirt. Looks like he'd be able to if thats what the team and Dyland decide...currently at 36 games, have NMU series and WCHA first round so they will play at least 40 games...
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 02-15-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Mighty Techster
    I'd have to dig deeper on the rules but its possible he could redshirt since he hasn't played in 2017. He did play in 12 games and I have a feeling thats a few too many to get a medical redshirt (without a fight).

EDIT: Ok game limit is 30% so MTU has to get to 40 games played for Steman to be able to medical redshirt. Looks like he'd be able to if thats what the team and Dyland decide...currently at 36 games, have NMU series and WCHA first round so they will play at least 40 games...
    I'd do it if I were him. Kid's got a 4.0 in mechanical engineering. Stick around and get a master's degree.

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    I'd do it if I were him. Kid's got a 4.0 in mechanical engineering. Stick around and get a master's degree.
    I remember having the redshirt question with Malcolm Gwilliam way back when...all he wanted to do was get on the ice and help his teammates "now." Obviously the decision to play isn't completely his with the injury but if he were to get cleared it would be interesting to see how it plays out.

I love (goal) lamp

My preference for Steman, like it actually matters, would be to see him sit out the rest of the year, get the medical red-shirt and come back for next year, his experience will be very helpful next year.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    That is impressive.

Michigan Tech Fan

Big,,weekend,,for,,the,,Huskies,,and,,all,,we,,can ,,do,,is,,sit,,and,,watch.
    Hopefully,,we,,have,,second,,round,,home,,ice,,loc ked,,up,,by,,Sunday.
    Go,,Cats!

Anyone,,else,,think,,it,,is,,time,,for,,a,,new,,re gistration,,process,,for,,this,,message,,board?
    Ryan,,J

Still upright

I remember having the redshirt question with Malcolm Gwilliam way back when...all he wanted to do was get on the ice and help his teammates "now." Obviously the decision to play isn't completely his with the injury but if he were to get cleared it would be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Malcolm Gwilliam is not way back when, Malcolm Gwilliam is the recent past. Now John Grisdale, Rob Murray, Steve Coates, Peter Lind, now that's way back when.

Still upright

Very interesting to watch the PSU power play operate. Very interesting.

Bye week questions for the future of the program in upcoming years:

1. Will L'Esperance have a 30 point senior year?
    2. Can Lucchini raise his game to be a 100 point player for his career over the next 2 years?
    3. D looks ok for next year even with huge losses of the seniors - Watson, Hanna, and Leibinger
    Who joins Roy, Auk, Reinke, Birks?
    4. Will there be some quality home non-conference games in 2017-18 season?
    5. Who breaks out as a scorer next year, Smith, Gerrie, or Beretta?
    6. What scoring potential is joining the team next year at forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    4. Will there be some quality home non-conference games in 2017-18 season?
    I hope this is the case for all 3 UP teams next year. And hope the games are wins for the UP teams as well.

Still upright

So Tech is up 3 points with two to play. If we win Friday, Mankato has to sweep at Bemidji and hope Tech loses on Saturday. If Mankato loses or ties on either night, we have to win one for second place.
    Have I got that right?
    Last edited by manurespreader; 02-18-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Michigan Tech Fan

The short version, Mankato needs to tie the Huskies in the standings to wrap up 2nd place (earn three points more than Tech) since MSU holds the head-to-head tie breaker.

Since Northern didn't do us any favors this weekend, we owe them nothing next weekend. If they miss the playoffs... oh well, they should have taken care of business this weekend against Mankato. Go Tech!

Ryan J

Michigan Tech Fan

It's rival week in the WCHA and home ice for the 2nd round is on the line as well. If the Huskies can't get up for this week's games...
    Tech still has a lot to accomplish if they hope to make the tourney, but they will be favored to achieve everything on this list except the final game.
    Go Tech!
    Ryan J

MICHIGAN TECH'S PATH TO THE NCAA TOURNEY
    LOST - Secure share of MacNaughton Cup
    LOST - Win MacNaughton Cup outright
    DONE - Secure WCHA playoff spot
    DONE - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 1st round
    04 pts - Optional - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 2nd round
    04 pts* - Optional - Secure WCHA Championship game home ice
    * Need help with Bemidji playoff loss in 1st or 2nd round
    Mandatory - Win 1st round WCHA playoff 3-game series
    Mandatory - Win semi-final WCHA playoff 3-game series
    Mandatory - Win WCHA Championship game
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 02-20-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Thread Information