Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Michigan Tech Fan

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by TECHFAN View Post
    So, is Tech required to wear their black sweaters or can they bust out the gold? I'm assuming Denver will be in white.
    I would assume so. Tech wore their golds in the 2015 NCAA tourney vs SCSU in black because Tech was the higher seed in that game. I can't recall any game when Tech wore the golds when they should have been the team in dark.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

If you are coming to Cincy and want to be in the "tech" section, contact Ashley DeVoge devoge@mtu.edu

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    PSU had some down games late in the year but they played really well at the end and have saved the best for last.
    No doubt they have won some games but they lost three games to Michigan and WI in March alone. Yes, they beat both of those teams when it counted, but PSU is a bubble team just like Tech that has fallen through the rankings for two solid months ever since the peaked at #1. Union who knows, I haven't seen them play.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Coach Emeritus
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TECHFAN View Post
    So, is Tech required to wear their black sweaters or can they bust out the gold? I'm assuming Denver will be in white.
    Gold isn't currently recognized as a "dark" color by the NCAA.

Any game the Huskies play the rest of the way will be in the black jerseys.

I was so frustrated with the embellishment call. A moment later Dirk was recalling the 1st period (maybe second, long game) 4 on 4 really went our way as the ice opened up and we had speed. And moments after that we pull off a huge stretch pass, breakaway and goal. Dirk called it.

Woohoo! Proud to watch the Mac explode last night. Brought back very old memories.

Coach Emeritus

Any thoughts on having a three-man broadcast team on the radio and webstream? Curious to hear how people thought that worked.

Mighty Techster

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Any thoughts on having a three-man broadcast team on the radio and webstream? Curious to hear how people thought that worked.
    I thought it was great. With Brent and Dave taking pressure off each other, neither had to talk when he had nothing to say.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    I thought it was great. With Brent and Dave taking pressure off each other, neither had to talk when he had nothing to say.
    Agreed it was a plus and better than the team of starman and saski.

I would agree that PSU was over rated through most of the year and yes they are probably a bubble team, but they really did play a lot better toward the end and they have wins vs tournament teams. As far as Union, I didn't watch them this year even once. Their fans think they will play Denver in the final.In fact pretty much everyone figures Denver advances easily.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Denver needs to be slowed down, take Butcher out of his comfort zone, can the 4th line get any ice in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Agreed it was a plus and better than the team of starman and saski.

I would agree that PSU was over rated through most of the year and yes they are probably a bubble team, but they really did play a lot better toward the end and they have wins vs tournament teams. As far as Union, I didn't watch them this year even once. Their fans think they will play Denver in the final.In fact pretty much everyone figures Denver advances easily.
    I have not seen Union play either. I did see Penn State play in Wisconsin earlier this year. Tech is way better defensively.

I think the winner of Tech vs. Denver will win the 2nd game and advance to Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I would assume so. Tech wore their golds in the 2015 NCAA tourney vs SCSU in black because Tech was the higher seed in that game. I can't recall any game when Tech wore the golds when they should have been the team in dark.
    Ryan J
    Oops...somebody grabbed the wrong Jersey bag leaving the MAC! Is Tech flying or bussing to Cincy?
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-20-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Coach Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Is Tech flying or bussing to Cincy?
    The NCAA does all the travel. Since it's outside the 400 mile radius, I would assume that they will be offered a flight...and obviously accept it.

They're going on Thursday evening, and from my experience with NCAA flights they have a number of planes on retainer that are shuttling teams all over the country. Once they're done delivering one team, they go pick up another one.
    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-20-2017 at 09:28 AM.

I think that it went very well.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

The NCAA does all the travel. Since it's outside the 400 mile radius, I would assume that they will be offered a flight...and obviously accept it.

They're going on Thursday evening, and from my experience with NCAA flights they have a number of planes on retainer that are shuttling teams all over the country. Once they're done delivering one team, they go pick up another one.
    Yeah, they flew to Fargo two years ago. I remember seeing the pics of a Sun Country 737 picking them up from CMX.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Blistering Drive

Anything can happen in a one game elimination. Tech hasn't seen skill and depth like Denver all year. Penn State shoots from everywhere and Union is very offensive. They probably have the best offensive defenseman in the nation, Jeff Taylor. Win the special teams battle, get good goaltending, and let the chips fall where they may.
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Still upright

Regarding hotels in Cincy. You may have noticed that the Millennium Hotel is walking distance to the arena. And it's $95 per night which is cheap.. I've stayed there and I do not recommend it. There are a number of nice and reasonable options around. The hotels out by the airport are slightly more than the ones on the Ohio side of the river. The hotel the bus people are using is slightly on the high side but a nice place.
    The Hyatt, which I assume is where the team is staying, is quite nice.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Veteran

A word of caution. I went through Cincinnati a few weeks ago and the traffic on I-75 was terrible (stop and go) in both directions. And that was with no obvious accidents. On the Kentucky side it was mainly a northbound problem. Granted it was raining off and on and that contributed to the problem. If you stay anywhere where you need to get on I-75 as part of your route to the arena, allow yourself extra time to get there. An option might be to find something along I-71 which feeds right down to the arena from the NE. Lot's of lodging choices out towards Blue Ash, a few closer in. I haven't checked prices. If you're heading down from the North you can even cut across from I-75 to I-71 on the Northern beltway I-275.

For the non ESPNews subscribers, is there a way to stream the Husky game live? Like a pay per view or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
    For the non ESPNews subscribers, is there a way to stream the Husky game live? Like a pay per view or something?
    You could do a slingTV 7 day free trial. With slingTV you can stream to TV with a Roku or Apple TV.

Quote Originally Posted by MaizeRage View Post
    And that's fantastic for them. The point of the discussion was the NCAA putting Tech in Cincinnati for "attendance reasons," and I've asked multiple times for someone to give a ballpark figure on how many fans Tech would bring. The fact that so many refuse to do so is a pretty good indication of how small that number would be.
    I think the NCAA put Denver in Cincinnati because they knew Tech would draw so well there.

Good luck to the Wolverines. I think they drew a regional they can win!

Thread Information