Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
    The LSSU announcers were pretty sure they were going to Houghton.
    They are: NMU at Bemidji, LSSU at Tech, Fairbanks at Mankato & Ferris at BG.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      Well we get LSSU next weekend, I was actually hoping to play them as opposed to NMU.
      I was hoping the Lakers would avoid playing at Tech.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

It should be an interesting playoff tournament. It wouldn't surprise me if Northern knocks off Bemidji, they have some goal scoring snipers, and their goalie is good.
        MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
        2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
          It should be an interesting playoff tournament. It wouldn't surprise me if Northern knocks off Bemidji, they have some goal scoring snipers, and their goalie is good.
          Aside from last weekend where they were not very good defensively, they have been real good the last 6 weeks. Same for BG and Mankato, alas, not true for Tech. We have struggled in almost every game. We outplay almost everyone, and then find ways to give them easy goals. Either we turn it over or our goaltender doesn't make a stop he should. I would trade the great stops for all the should ones any time.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Looks like Defiel carried Lake State on his back tonight. If he keeps that up, this is not going to be an easy series for Tech. We've already shown a propensity for folding under pressure.

Comment

This WCHA tourney is wide open. Tech has to realize there are no playoff points awarded for out shooting the other team.
              Bemidji has to wonder with a 1 seed, the reward is a very scrappy , feisty NMU team.
              I think in our series, the clamp down on defense first has to be the game plan against LSSU, safe transition and bury your chances as they are presented. The new lines are balanced, the team is ready for a run, just need to make sure the pedal is to the metal for 60 minutes, starting defensively.

Comment

I went to the ASu vs USNTDP game last night. Here's my thoughts on ASU.
                They are fast, especially the forwards. they play the heavy game, a la BG or UND. They try very hard to transition you and catch you on the wrong side of the puck. The whole system is designed to get an odd man rush and even from inside their own end they are always looking to break you down quickly. The defense is big generally, though they do have some smaller guys but they do not get involved all that much and the bigger defense do a good imitation of large traffic cones. So they can be turned. They are pretty physical, especially in the corners. They have guys who can shoot it. They had two goals last night into a 3 in sq spot, high stick side,.... from the blue line.
                On the PK, they use a 1 1 2, and pressure the puck pretty hard, all the time. they especially like to pressure the point and cover the man who is most likely to provide puck support. thus getting an odd man rush back the other way. They do not cover down low nearly as well but still pressure the puck.
                on the pp, they use an umbrella plus two in the slot, one high, one low. So there is not guys off to the sides and one guy in front.One of the umbrella guys will come down on the weak side sometimes but generally not. they leave the back door uncovered for the most part. if the play gets down low the defensemen will move tighter and be just above the top of the face-off circles. They use 4 forwards and one defenseman in the pp.

this game was not a fun game to watch. There was an incident in the third period where ASU did what the ntdp coaches considered a dirty, unnecessary hit along the boards with asu up 4-1. This incensed the ntdp coaches, as it was an exhibition game after all, and a big brouhaha ensued with coaches screaming at each other and the ASU coaches almost leaving the bench. Honestly it was the worst display of non sportsmanship I have ever seen. Ever. Shortly afterwards, there was a scrum in front of the ASU goal which resulted in quite the brawl. Bigger than you generally see by a lot. I left at that time, but i'm not sure there was a handshake line.
                ASU reminded me of a good ECHL team in the way they played. The ntdp players were just so young and still growing into themselves. Size wise they were no match for asu, but they had a lot of skill and speed.
                Last edited by manurespreader; 02-26-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I went to the ASu vs USNTDP game last night. Here's my thoughts on ASU...
                  With the most recent Coyotes rink deal falling through, I think the whole ASU program is on thin ice. Clearly no conference wants to sign them up without a real rink and they don't have one on the horizon. The Coyotes are rumored to have been looking at existing rinks in the Northwest (Portland, Seattle) leaving ASU hanging. I get the feeling if they don't have a rink plan, at least on paper by the end of next season, ASU's D-I program may be closing up shop before it ever gets rolling. They are clearly a case of a university being so eager to spend their donation and put a team on the ice, they plowed ahead without having a solid plan of how to KEEP the team on the ice beyond the first couple seasons. Yes, the buzz can carry you for a couple seasons, but eventually the fans (not sure how many there really are) are going to get tired of seeing their D-I team always on the road or when they are at home playing D-II/III schools ever week after Jan 1st every season.
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    For a team that has such a great Pk, we didn't get it done this weekend. they were able to dominate on the pp. And I wonder if Wintjes will play again, Redmond has been marginal the last several weeks.
                    No Tech did not get it done on the pk. But I would guess that if one looks there would be a common theme on who is out when they get scored on, seems like it is always the same guys. Out of position, inactive sticks, getting memorized by the puck, not in shooting lanes, too afraid to sacrifice the body....just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      With the most recent Coyotes rink deal falling through, I think the whole ASU program is on thin ice. Clearly no conference wants to sign them up without a real rink and they don't have one on the horizon. The Coyotes are rumored to have been looking at existing rinks in the Northwest (Portland, Seattle) leaving ASU hanging. I get the feeling if they don't have a rink plan, at least on paper by the end of next season, ASU's D-I program may be closing up shop before it ever gets rolling. They are clearly a case of a university being so eager to spend their donation and put a team on the ice, they plowed ahead without having a solid plan of how to KEEP the team on the ice beyond the first couple seasons. Yes, the buzz can carry you for a couple seasons, but eventually the fans (not sure how many there really are) are going to get tired of seeing their D-I team always on the road or when they are at home playing D-II/III schools ever week after Jan 1st every season.
                      Ryan J
                      I disagree with that. I think they will be around. They weren't getting what they wanted from the Coyotes but they have other options. I think they will have a rink in about 3 years, maybe a bit less. The question is, what league will they go to a the time . Is the NCHC going to take them along with Mankato? That's my guess. I don't see UND going to the b1g, or anybody else going to the b1g. I know there are other teams looking around, but it's expensive to get done. They endowed the money that was given them, so for now they are ok money wise. If this continues maybe not, but for now they are ok. It's a big school with lots and lots of cash.

And i also forgot to mention in my previous post. They run a 1 2 2 forecheck, though it's not like ours, and sometimes, though rarely, go to a 2 1 2. they are aggressive on the puck in the 2 1 2. it helped them, but they didn't stay in it very long. Once they were able to convert a couple of goals they went back to a neutral zone type of game.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        I think they will have a rink in about 3 years, maybe a bit less.
                        I think this was discussed a while back in the ASU thread, but honestly given that they don't even have a site picked or any kind of plan yet, I would say they are 3+ seasons away. You're going to spend two seasons (minimum) in construction unless you're building a cookie-cutter pole barn rink and at least a year putting plans together.
                        Ryan J

Comment

Why are we discussing ASU in the Tech thread?
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

We're trading Bemidji to the NCHC for the rights to ASU and an expansion team to be named later hoping to secure 7 of the bottom 10 positions in the PWR next season. BSU is clearly too good for the WCHA, they need to go.

Ryan J

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              We're trading Bemidji to the NCHC for the rights to ASU and an expansion team to be named later hoping to secure 7 of the bottom 10 positions in the PWR next season. BSU is clearly too good for the WCHA, they need to go.

Ryan J
                              I had to laugh at this, that is a good one!

Comment

I was finally able to watch the games today. Why was Dirk not announcing the game on the wcha tv feed Saturday night?

Comment

Working...
                                X