Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Wow. Convincing W. can't wait to see who we play!

Mel's post game with Dirk:
    Only gave up 16 shots. Good D is where it has to start. Excellent job.
    SHG by Neville was big. LSSU played hard. That was a turning point.
    LSSU will be a good program. They're learning.
    Told team today we need to do better. Asked everyone what they can do.
    Told team last 20 minutes needs to be winning hockey. Manage puck etc. excellent job in third.
    Our strength is depth. 4 lines. our dmen can add offense.
    Great crowd even with spring break. Mel will push marketing to fill up the arena next weekend.
    The bye really helped. Some rust vs NMU but had energy this week.

Comment

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

That's the kind of performance this team has always been capable of.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        That's the kind of performance this team has always been capable of.
        Couldn't have said it better. Keep it rolling guys.
        MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
        2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

That was fun to watch. The first goal was really great effort and timing in slot. SHG was typical of great hustle and then stick handling skill, all night.
          Go Huskies!

Comment

I agree that the short handed goal burst LSSU's bubble. Before that goal it was just 2-0 and obviously they were on the power play. But to give up a shorty and be down 3-0 took a lot of gas out of LSSU's tank. From there I felt Tech keeped their foot on the gas a little longer into the game and LSSU letting up a bit knowing the end was coming. The 8th goal was a prime example. Both teams were sort of going through the motions the last 90-120 seconds of the game. No real effort from either team knowing it was 7-0 but Joel found the puck on his stick in the slot and he just let it fly. I think you could tell he almost felt a little bad about putting it in the net as the Huskies didn't even skate past the bench for the traditional celebration, they just sort of congratulated each other on the ice and then skated back to center ice for the face off. There were a few players from LSSU that kept playing hard right to the final whistle, but I didn't see anything dirty by any means. I'm glad both teams kept their head the last five minutes during a season ending blow-out.

Overall for the weekend, Tech got their business done in two games and looked pretty good doing it. Let's hope some of this goal scoring confidence will carry over against a better opponent next weekend because honestly LSSU was just overmatched. Tech got to a lot of loose pucks first and then had the skill to control the puck for long stretches in the offensive zone. Either MSU or NMU will be a next level opponent from a talent stand point, much more on par with Tech. But for now, we can enjoy this weekend and check off another goal...

MICHIGAN TECH'S PATH TO THE NCAA TOURNEY
            LOST - Secure share of MacNaughton Cup
            LOST - Win MacNaughton Cup outright
            00 pts* - Optional - Secure WCHA Championship game home ice
            * Need Bemidji playoff loss in 1st or 2nd round
            DONE - Secure WCHA playoff spot
            DONE - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 1st round
            DONE - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 2nd round
            DONE - Win 1st round WCHA playoff 3-game series
            Mandatory - Win semi-final WCHA playoff 3-game series
            Mandatory - Win WCHA Championship game
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redridge View Post
              That was fun to watch. The first goal was really great effort and timing in slot. SHG was typical of great hustle and then stick handling skill, all night.
              Wow, watched the game late last night, where has this been all season? I know the Lakers aren't a top team, but that was an impressive offensive weekend! Hope they keep that rolling and Redmond keeps it together.

Nevilles shorty looked like a set play to me, a dump in to the half wall, Neville breaks up the middle with speed, and takes the puck with the defenseman on his heels. Just a great, great play!

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                Wow. Convincing W. can't wait to see who we play!

Mel's post game with Dirk:
                Only gave up 16 shots. Good D is where it has to start. Excellent job.
                SHG by Neville was big. LSSU played hard. That was a turning point.
                LSSU will be a good program. They're learning.
                Told team today we need to do better. Asked everyone what they can do.
                Told team last 20 minutes needs to be winning hockey. Manage puck etc. excellent job in third.
                Our strength is depth. 4 lines. our dmen can add offense.
                Great crowd even with spring break. Mel will push marketing to fill up the arena next weekend.
                The bye really helped. Some rust vs NMU but had energy this week.
                The main things separating the Lakers from the top 4 teams in the WCHA is skating speed and ability at D. Damon has been doing a good job bringing in more speed at Forward, but more work needs to be done on D yet. Most of that is a function of where the LSSU D was at when he was first hired. We had 4 D-men to replace that season. 2 had already signed NLIs and were set to come in, guys that were recruited by Jim Roque and staff. Damon brought in 3 more late D recruits that summer prior to his first season as coach; one left last season due to lack of playing time, but all 3 would not have had a chance to play Div 1 hockey if not for Damon. Damon wants to play up tempo hockey but the Lakers don't yet have the speed and skating ability at D to fully support that style of play. We have a couple of D coming in next season, but it's probably going to be two seasons out yet before the Lakers D as a whole will be a lot quicker. Damon and staff have some younger D recruits who reportedly are all excellent skaters who will be replacing the 4 Senior (to be) D-men on the Lakers that graduate after next season. A lot of the Laker fans don't like to hear it, but it's a work in progress and it takes time.

Comment

So it's the Mavericks. How Dominik Shine didn't score at least once in the last 5 minutes is beyond me, three unreal chances and he missed the net on all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    So it's the Mavericks. How Dominik Shine didn't score at least once in the last 5 minutes is beyond me, three unreal chances and he missed the net on all of them.
                    Agreed. I know BSU seems to be better than I thought given how they played the second half but I think BG wins the series with them.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Something struck me about the 14 goals on the weekend. The defensemen figured in the scoring of 10 of the 14 goals, racking up 3 goals and 11 assists. Only Dane Birks didn't register a point in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        Something struck me about the 14 goals on the weekend. The defensemen figured in the scoring of 10 of the 14 goals, racking up 3 goals and 11 assists. Only Dane Birks didn't register a point in the series.
                        Its been that way all season.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So according to the USCHO 3 things column, we played Alaska this past weekend. Dear God their writers are absolutely terrible.
                          2005-2006: 7-25-6
                          2006-2007: 18-17-5
                          2007-2008: 14-20-5
                          2008-2009: 6-25-7
                          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                            So according to the USCHO 3 things column, we played Alaska this past weekend. Dear God their writers are absolutely terrible.
                            You have to cut them some slack. When you write a comprehensive 9 sentence article, things are bound to slip past the editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Its been that way all season.
                              To further support that - only one team has seen more points credited to defensemen (if you don't count Leibinger as one anymore).

Total points scored by D

111 - Quinnipiac (6 players in double figures)
                              106 - Michigan Tech (5 in double figures)
                              102 - Penn State (5)
                              99 - Providence (5)
                              94 - RIT (5)

If you want to include Leibinger, his 14 points make the MTU total 120, far and away the most of any team.

Comment

I'd almost rather they didn't publish an article rather than what they're currently doing.

I expect this series to be the WCHA representative in the tourney. I, personally think these are the two best teams and are playing as good or better than anyone else.
                                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Working...
                                X