Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Bye week questions for the future of the program in upcoming years:

1. Will L'Esperance have a 30 point senior year?
    2. Can Lucchini raise his game to be a 100 point player for his career over the next 2 years?
    3. D looks ok for next year even with huge losses of the seniors - Watson, Hanna, and Leibinger
    Who joins Roy, Auk, Reinke, Birks?
    4. Will there be some quality home non-conference games in 2017-18 season?
    5. Who breaks out as a scorer next year, Smith, Gerrie, or Beretta?
    6. What scoring potential is joining the team next year at forward?

Comment

Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      4. Will there be some quality home non-conference games in 2017-18 season?
      I hope this is the case for all 3 UP teams next year. And hope the games are wins for the UP teams as well.

Comment

So Tech is up 3 points with two to play. If we win Friday, Mankato has to sweep at Bemidji and hope Tech loses on Saturday. If Mankato loses or ties on either night, we have to win one for second place.
        Have I got that right?
        Last edited by manurespreader; 02-18-2017, 09:37 PM.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The short version, Mankato needs to tie the Huskies in the standings to wrap up 2nd place (earn three points more than Tech) since MSU holds the head-to-head tie breaker.

Since Northern didn't do us any favors this weekend, we owe them nothing next weekend. If they miss the playoffs... oh well, they should have taken care of business this weekend against Mankato. Go Tech!

Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

It's rival week in the WCHA and home ice for the 2nd round is on the line as well. If the Huskies can't get up for this week's games...
            Tech still has a lot to accomplish if they hope to make the tourney, but they will be favored to achieve everything on this list except the final game.
            Go Tech!
            Ryan J

MICHIGAN TECH'S PATH TO THE NCAA TOURNEY
            LOST - Secure share of MacNaughton Cup
            LOST - Win MacNaughton Cup outright
            DONE - Secure WCHA playoff spot
            DONE - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 1st round
            04 pts - Optional - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 2nd round
            04 pts* - Optional - Secure WCHA Championship game home ice
            * Need help with Bemidji playoff loss in 1st or 2nd round
            Mandatory - Win 1st round WCHA playoff 3-game series
            Mandatory - Win semi-final WCHA playoff 3-game series
            Mandatory - Win WCHA Championship game
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              It's rival week in the WCHA and home ice for the 2nd round is on the line as well. If the Huskies can't get up for this week's games...
              Tech still has a lot to accomplish if they hope to make the tourney, but they will be favored to achieve everything on this list except the final game.
              Go Tech!
              Ryan J

MICHIGAN TECH'S PATH TO THE NCAA TOURNEY
              LOST - Secure share of MacInnes Cup
              LOST - Win Macinnes Cup outright
              Which MacInnes Cup are you referring to? The one from the GLI or the one from Winter Carnival? Or is this a typo that's supposed to be the MacNaughton Cup?

Comment

This is for BB. I know how much you like music.
                So this is the story of the hopeless rake, the Duke, who has a court jester, Rigoletto who has a beautiful daughter. It's based on a French story by Victor Hugo, entitled, "Le roi s'amuse" . Victor Hugo also wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Les Miserable. The opera version, by Verdi, premiered in March of 1851, despite severe opposition from censors in Austria, who controlled Italy at the time. The name of the song, in English is, " The woman is Fickle". The show is considered a masterpiece, and is the 19th century equivalent of hip hop. At the very end you see Rigoletto, plotting with another guy to kill the Duke. This backfires at the very end and the girl is killed instead.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFEk6Y8TmM

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  Which MacInnes Cup are you referring to? The one from the GLI or the one from Winter Carnival? Or is this a typo that's supposed to be the MacNaughton Cup?
                  Yep, that was a typo on my part. Tech wins so much hardware it is hard to keep them all straight.
                  Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    The short version, Mankato needs to tie the Huskies in the standings to wrap up 2nd place (earn three points more than Tech) since MSU holds the head-to-head tie breaker.

Since Northern didn't do us any favors this weekend, we owe them nothing next weekend. If they miss the playoffs... oh well, they should have taken care of business this weekend against Mankato. Go Tech!

Ryan J
                    Had NMU done Tech a "favor" against Minnesota State, how exactly would Tech have returned the favor? Would they have started the backup goalie and sat a couple key players on Senior Night in Houghton?

Should be a great weekend of college hockey. It's a great rivalry and could be a first round playoff preview!
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Had NMU done Tech a "favor" against Minnesota State, how exactly would Tech have returned the favor? Would they have started the backup goalie and sat a couple key players on Senior Night in Houghton?
                      In all seriousness, if Tech is more than 3 pts up on Mankato going into Saturday's game, yes, I would do exactly that. If Tech has 2nd place locked down, the Saturday game is meaningless for Tech other than pride. It has become pretty clear that the WCHA isn't going to get an at large bid so another loss has little impact. It think it would be nice to start Wintjes in net (a senior) since he has seen limited action this season and maybe you even consider sitting some of the underclassmen who need to heal up a bit to be 100% for the playoffs.

But if Tech and Mankato both win Friday night, there is no choice but for Tech to try and win another game. NMU could have helped themselves and Tech with one or more wins last weekend by securing their own playoff spot and putting Mankato more than 7 pts behind Tech locking the Huskies into second. Now both teams need two wins and one team is likely going to be less than thrilled come Sunday morning.
                      Ryan J

Comment

Good for Walt sticking up for the small schools and the WCHA. Interview starts at the 23:00 minute mark. I wish some of the other coaches would voice their opinions on the matter.

http://www.uscho.com/uscho-live/
                        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                          Good for Walt sticking up for the small schools and the WCHA. Interview starts at the 23:00 minute mark. I wish some of the other coaches would voice their opinions on the matter.

http://www.uscho.com/uscho-live/
                          Yes, I posted something on the NMU thread about it with almost the same verbiage. He could have also said, " And MTU has fewer home games than we do"!

Very good MPS today. I'm a little surprised with how much time he is spending on recruiting himself. I would have thought GS would do most of it, but whatever, we need players.
                          I'm real curious, because he said he was really happy with one player in particular, if Shirtless thinks we have a recruiting class next season, that might be competitive with the top teams.
                          I was semi expecting him to comment more on recruits because he had said he would a few weeks ago, but meh, they will be here when they get here and we will find out then.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Yes, I posted something on the NMU thread about it with almost the same verbiage. He could have also said, " And MTU has fewer home games than we do"!

Very good MPS today. I'm a little surprised with how much time he is spending on recruiting himself. I would have thought GS would do most of it, but whatever, we need players.
                            I'm real curious, because he said he was really happy with one player in particular, if Shirtless thinks we have a recruiting class next season, that might be competitive with the top teams.
                            I was semi expecting him to comment more on recruits because he had said he would a few weeks ago, but meh, they will be here when they get here and we will find out then.
                            Mel was down in Blaine, MN this weekend recruiting. As for recruits, NCAA rules prevent them from even mentioning names until the NLI is signed and the ink is dry.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              NCAA rules prevent them from even mentioning names until the NLI is signed and the ink is dry.
                              I think the current staff has been doing an awesome job of filling the talent pipeline. For those that may not know, TechHockeyGuide.com maintains a list of future Huskies here: http://techhockeyguide.com/recruiting-grid/ Only players who have given a verbal commitment or signed an NLI are on that list (no speculating of who might be committing). Since THG is not officially connected with MTU, they can provide coverage of future players, that as Dave mentioned, Tech can not yet discuss.

FYI - Did you know that Tech already has 25 player committed for the 2020-21 season? That's more than some teams might have currently lined up for NEXT season.

Ryan J

Comment

Mel was down in Blaine, MN this weekend recruiting. As for recruits, NCAA rules prevent them from even mentioning names until the NLI is signed and the ink is dry.
                                I'm sure he was down in Minnesota checking out Brian Halonen with Delano, he even mentioned that when talking about Tyler Heinonen in this week's podcast.

Also, as far as talking about recruits...he has at least 12 recruits that have signed NLIs yet MTU has not made a release on those that signed in the November 2016 window yet...not sure what the hell is going on there.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X