Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 568

Thread: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Michigan's Copper Country
    Posts
    565

    MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Very shocked with this past weekends outcome. Was looking for the sweep and it seemed that way for a little over 2 periods on Friday, then everything went South so to speak. Things can go bad quickly as we found out.
    This is not the time of year to be making wholesale changes. We hit a bad patch the last few weeks and but it can be corrected. Worse thing to do is push the panic button. I have watched them play and they are a talented team. This team has heart just need to play a little smarter at times. Take it one game at a time from here on out and things will be fine.

    It was surprised to see so many empty seats in Bemidji over the weekend. We do have the best hockey fans in the WCHA in Houghton. Now and for the remainder of the season we need to give the team our full support! Go Huskies!
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.

  2. #2
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Reims, it's in France.
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    I'm totally with you. Our players work incredibly hard, they do well in school, and they are a credit to the university in more ways than one. it makes me proud to say i'm an alum. I also want to say the coaching staff doesn't get the credit they deserve. They are gone a lot, and they spend innumerable hours on details and working to find ways to develop players.
    As the coach said, let's get back to working to get better. I'm for that. Tough weekend but we have some tough games ahead and we can't afford to dwell on things. Go huskies!
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  3. #3
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,011

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    I wish Bose would get some medal for his bipolar. It sucks, and I'm disappointed in this season but we are far from a losing season. Redmond is coming back to earth and the forwards are slumping, oh well.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Michigan's Copper Country
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I wish Bose would get some medal for his bipolar. It sucks, and I'm disappointed in this season but we are far from a losing season. Redmond is coming back to earth and the forwards are slumping, oh well.
    Bose just wants the team to win, but he always paints a picture of doom and gloom. Would not be a guy you would want on the team in the locker room. We all know this team can play better. They just need to move the feet and the puck a little quicker and not think so much about it. Just let the game come to you.

  5. #5
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,011

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    Bose just wants the team to win, but he always paints a picture of doom and gloom. Would not be a guy you would want on the team in the locker room. We all know this team can play better. They just need to move the feet and the puck a little quicker and not think so much about it. Just let the game come to you.
    I know and I'm just a little sick of coming here and seeing the doom and gloom. The pairwise is gone, the mcnaughton is likely gone and now all we have left is to get things figured out, hope to keep the 2nd seed and win the tournament.

  6. #6
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,069

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    In spite of less than great outcomes this weekend, we check off another goal thanks to help across the league.
    Ryan

    MICHIGAN TECH'S PATH TO THE NCAA TOURNEY
    DONE - Secure WCHA playoff spot
    DONE - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 1st round
    07 pts - Optional - Secure WCHA playoff home ice, 2nd round
    12 pts* - Optional - Secure WCHA Championship game home ice
    12 pts* - Optional - Secure share of MacInnes Cup
    12 pts* - Optional - Win Macinnes Cup outright
    * Need help as well
    J.W.B. - Mandatory - Win 1st round WCHA playoff 3-game series
    J.W.B. - Mandatory - Win semi-final playoff 3-game series
    J.W.B. - Mandatory - Win WCHA Championship game
    * J.W.B. = Just Win Baby!
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Soo, Mich
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    Very shocked with this past weekends outcome. Was looking for the sweep and it seemed that way for a little over 2 periods on Friday, then everything went South so to speak. Things can go bad quickly as we found out.
    This is not the time of year to be making wholesale changes. We hit a bad patch the last few weeks and but it can be corrected. Worse thing to do is push the panic button. I have watched them play and they are a talented team. This team has heart just need to play a little smarter at times. Take it one game at a time from here on out and things will be fine.

    It was surprised to see so many empty seats in Bemidji over the weekend. We do have the best hockey fans in the WCHA in Houghton. Now and for the remainder of the season we need to give the team our full support! Go Huskies!
    Where were those "best fans" when Jamie Russell was the coach? Mitch's Misfits have always been among, if not the best student sections. But where were the rest?

  8. #8
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Posts
    2,563

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    I think the major thing the offense is missing is a setup guy. There isn't anyone on the roster who makes a linemate look better on a consistent basis. That's part of the reason that odd man rushes aren't more productive. The individual skills the forwards have are as finishers, and without a setup guy you're relying on individual effort goals.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,611

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I know and I'm just a little sick of coming here and seeing the doom and gloom. The pairwise is gone, the mcnaughton is likely gone and now all we have left is to get things figured out, hope to keep the 2nd seed and win the tournament.
    Yeah, overall I like reading what the Tech fans have to discuss, but I get sick of his posts as well.

  10. #10
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Reims, it's in France.
    Posts
    5,947

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Where were those "best fans" when Jamie Russell was the coach? Mitch's Misfits have always been among, if not the best student sections. But where were the rest?
    While it's a worthwhile subject, you have to remember we had years and years of losing. We paid our dues in spades, and people, even though they were fans, either gave up or were on the verge of giving up. But having a competitive team again, has allowed them to come back to the rink. I think even in coach Pearson's first year or two, the attendance was not that great because people were still skeptical.
    Among other reasons, but I think this is the major one. Also you have to remember, there is pretty much no where in the US that's a bigger hockey community, on a per capita basis, than the Copper Country..
    I'd defer to Huskyfan though, she probably has more insight than I do.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 02-05-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,103
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    While it's a worthwhile subject, you have to remember we had years and years of losing. We paid our dues in spades, and people, even though they were fans, either gave up or were on the verge of giving up. But having a competitive team again, has allowed them to come back to the rink. I think even in coach Pearson's first year or two, the attendance was not that great because people were still skeptical.
    Among other reasons, but I think this is the major one. Also you have to remember, there is pretty much no where in the US that's a bigger hockey community, on a per capita basis, than the Copper Country..
    I'd defer to Huskyfan though, she probably has more insight than I do.
    It is a terrific hockey community, having grown up playing in the Dee & Houghton County Arena when it was first built, the Laurium Airpot, Bicentennial Arena, L'Anse when it had no walls and the Pelkie Fairgrounds, Copper Country hockey is special!

  12. #12
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,749

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    It was surprised to see so many empty seats in Bemidji over the weekend. We do have the best hockey fans in the WCHA in Houghton. Now and for the remainder of the season we need to give the team our full support! Go Huskies!
    Sad thing is, with the boxscore showing 3100 Friday night and almost 3500 Saturday night, those were two of the better attended games this year. But then again, Bemidji does have the highest ticket prices in the WCHA.... And the high school team had a game, albeit a road game, but it was a big section standings game and they do pull fans away from the College game.

    Good series, I hope these two teams get to see each other again in the Championship!
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  13. #13
    I love (goal) lamp
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,568

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I wish Bose would get some medal for his bipolar. It sucks, and I'm disappointed in this season but we are far from a losing season. Redmond is coming back to earth and the forwards are slumping, oh well.
    Medal or metal
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

  14. #14
    I love (goal) lamp
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,568

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    Bose just wants the team to win, but he always paints a picture of doom and gloom. Would not be a guy you would want on the team in the locker room. We all know this team can play better. They just need to move the feet and the puck a little quicker and not think so much about it. Just let the game come to you.
    Good thing I would never have a chance to be on any hockey team, lol. Love the sport but I absolutely suck at skating, and that's an understatement, anyone who saw me in that MTU members vs. NMU members game back in like 07 can attest to that.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

  15. #15
    I love (goal) lamp
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,568

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Where were those "best fans" when Jamie Russell was the coach? Mitch's Misfits have always been among, if not the best student sections. But where were the rest?
    There were always a decent amount of Tech fans at away games under Jamie, but yes, the Mac was on the empty side consistently, but I will have to agree with others, you can have the most die hard fans but after so much losing it just gets hard. I still went to as many home games as I could when I was up there from 2005-2010 and listened to all of the games I could on the radio after I graduated and still do. I will say winning makes me was to watch and listen more than I did in Jamie's last couple of seasons though.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

  16. #16
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,011

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Medal or metal
    yeah, my iphone didn't like meds...autocorrect can be a b...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  17. #17
    I love (goal) lamp
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,568

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    I know I am overly dramatic, I'll try and tone it down and post less like that.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

  18. #18
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,011

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    I know I am overly dramatic, I'll try and tone it down and post less like that.
    we all get down on the team, and I understand that but you get way too low for me. I am disappointed in what this team has done this season but at the same time, without development of the forwards, it was going to be tough. I'm sad that guys haven't stepped up and hopefully they still find their touch and get a on a roll to the end here.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  19. #19
    I love (goal) lamp
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,568

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    we all get down on the team, and I understand that but you get way too low for me. I am disappointed in what this team has done this season but at the same time, without development of the forwards, it was going to be tough. I'm sad that guys haven't stepped up and hopefully they still find their touch and get a on a roll to the end here.
    I think the best point I have seen in this thread is that we don't have a setup guy on this team, and it's absolutely correct. We've got scorers in Heinonen, L'Esperance and others, but they need the guy who sets them up, gives them the pass in front of the net etc. and we don't have that like we did the past couple of seasons. If we had a good setup man, this team would be dangerous. Injuries also don't help, Steman and Baltus are big losses.

    Overall I would rather be posting about being disappointed in what is so far a 16 win season than expecting to lose in a 4 win season.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: MICHIGAN TECH HUSKIES...2016-17 season. 96th season of hockey (continued, part 2)

    A few of my takeaways form the Mel Pearson show today. Mel also commented on how we caught a bad break with difficult travel the weekend before Bemidji both times this year, which is true.


    Mel Pearson show notes:
    Thought crazy travel caught up to us
    Can't fault the effort for the most part
    Friday night: Heinonen had a chance that he scores 10 of 10 times last year
    Didn't get breaks all weekend, puck luck wasn't there

    No issues with Angus, we'll ride him. He's gotten us here. Unfortunate Friday night.

    Ferris is coming in Wed, will practice in Houghton early Thursday.

    Keep checking with central ticket office for tickets in case Ferris turns tickets back in on Thursday.

    Injuries: Brice out another week, Baltus out for year, Steman making progress but out this week.

    Top 2 seed is critical, know you're home first two rounds if you win the first round.

    Blueline club luncheon $10 on Friday, reserve by noon on Thursday, a few players will be there

    Maybe NLI announcement during off-week

    We're doing a lot of good things, giving up so few shots, just don't have that go to goal scorer like Petan/Kero

    Heinonen/L'Esperance need to step up, they're pressing so much right now, just need to play sound D, it'll come

    Nothing to say on TV coverage for championship game, talking to a few, FS North may cover if it's in Bemidji

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •