Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
    I got it, I got it! Norwich doesn't feature yellow as a one of the main colors in their logo where the other three schools do?
    HINT: One of these teams was not ranked in the first set of regional rankings.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      HINT: One of these teams was not ranked in the first set of regional rankings.
      So? They have played games since then and it turns out that results may change after games are played, especially since some teams are going to be playing games against other ranked teams at this point of the season.

I think both myself and joecct nailed this one already with our answers. I have one other guess though. SNC uses a color to describe their team name where as the other schools do not.
      I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        Norwich, UWSP, SNC, Trinity

One of these teams is not like the others ...
        Interesting 🙃🙃

Comment

• Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
          No. Not at all. I prefer a system that goes by a standard process that has explainable results each time. If Point had to play Augs and then SNC, so be it. It sucks but the system could show a viable way to get there. The system showed a logical way to get to the results that we got.

Maybe instead of thinking of the top 4 teams as 1,2,3,4 seeds, it would make it easier to think of it that they are each number one seeds. They thought it was more important to give each number 1 seed a fair shot at making the final four. This is very similar to what they do with the basketball tournament as well. It is not setup to give the number one seed overall the easiest path. Would it be nice if Norwich got a bye in the first round? Yes. Instead, they gave them by far the worst team in the tournament. Does it suck they need to play Oswego potentially in the quarter finals? Yes, but Oswego took a dive in the recent rankings. It makes sense for them to be there. If Oswego won, they wouldn't be in that bracket.

I don't really give a rip if an east team is ranked above a west team.
          Just giving you a hard time. I understand the "why", and agree 100%. I find the whining amusing to be honest.
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

It is quite apparent that the bracket was seeded so Norwich & Oswego will get to play each other after being denied the opportunity in the Northfield Bank Tournament.
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Hmmmmm http://www.d3hockey.com/seasons/men/...?date=20170324
              Oldtimehockey

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                It is quite apparent that the bracket was seeded so Norwich & Oswego will get to play each other after being denied the opportunity in the Northfield Bank Tournament.
                This made me laugh.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimehockey View Post
                  Nice. Same thing on March 25.
                  5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                    Nice. Same thing on March 25.
                    Originally posted by Oldtimehockey View Post
                    The schedules are linked through the Presto network. We put the dates on our schedule at Norwich so people know them ahead of time and we don't get questions all year about "what's next?" after the NEHC Tournament concludes. d3hockey.com just directly pulls that information from our schedule since its managed through Prestosports.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                      I think we have a winner!
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        This made me laugh.
                        Me too....NORM!!!!
                        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                          The Pointers will be extra motivated after their last game vs Adrian at the Willett....when the Adrian player ended the college career of the Pointer forward late in that game..
                          And let's not forget that Adrian's Men's Hockey program is on probation....

http://www.d3hockey.com/releases/men...tal-discipline

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            This was always a possibility. It just seems to me that at least two East teams deserved byes. The logical way to arrange it would be to pick the top 4 teams and give them the byes and quarterfinal home games. However, because of the 500 mile rule taking preference over everything, apparently they wanted to seed it so that the top 4 seeds could all make it to Utica. What I don't get is why Trinity jumped over Hobart. If, as is claimed UWSP and SNC are the national 2 and 3 seeds, why aren't they lined up in a semifinal. Traditionally the semifinals should line up 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3.

Ultimately, as I've always said you just need to win, but it seems like in this set up the matchups violate most of the rules that are deemed to be important for "bracket integrity." As a Norwich fan of long standing, I'm more annoyed with the lack of recognition of what they have accomplished than anything else. Adrian does not deserve a bye. Augsburg does not deserve a bye. To me that is what stands out as wrong.
                            This, coming from a man who has admonished me on numerous occasions that "This is how D-3 does it, and we just have to live with it."

Bracket integrity and accurate seeding have never seemed to concern the committee very much. There's no justifying that, aside from invoking the distance-rule and the no-first-round-interconference thing -both of which are arbitrary constructs- and neither of which goes to actual statistical merit.

But, one thing that I just have to point-out is this: if you throw out the Salem and Platty AQ's, the KRACH predicted the field perfectly.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-06-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                              Outside of Norwich not getting a bye, which East team has a real big argument of getting screwed?
                              Depends on what you call "really big". Is two rounds, rather than one, to get to Utica "really big"?

Every East team with a WIN/RNK/SOS better than Augsburg or Adrian

That would be Trinity, Hobart, Oswego, Endicott, and Hamilton, all of whom have to play a first round game that is not required of Augsburg or Adrian.

Augburg was .741/.667/.501. Adrian .741/.214/.541.
                              Last edited by peddler; 03-06-2017, 06:18 PM. Reason: For PSUChamps benefit
                              The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
                                Depends on what you call "really big". Is two rounds, rather than one, to get to Utica "really big"?

Every East team with a WIN/RNK/SOS better than Augsburg or UWEC.

That would be Trinity, Hobart, Oswego, Endicott, and Hamilton, all of whom have to play a first round game that is not required of Augsburg or UWEC.

Augburg had a .501 SOS, and UWEC has yet to even tie a ranked team.
                                UWEC is not in the 12...
                                SNC Men:
                                Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                                NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                                SNC Women:
                                O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Working...
                                X