2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Is "UWS" Stout or Superior, I'm an Easterner?
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      What was UWS's SOS and what was UWRF? Would that lower UWSP having thise games (and RF for EC) Webb has a formula that computes it pretty close. I will take his word for it, no offense.
      UWRF = .487
      Stout = .486
      Superior = .502

Only remaining game is UWEC at UWSP. Unless I completely misunderstand the formulas (which is always probable) the records of both these teams OP + OOP are "baked into" their current SOS respectively. Since the last game for any of them is the final in question, I would think that would dictate their SOS numbers (as of NCAA new SOS available tomorrow), for the regular season. Happy to hear Webb's take on this, no offense taken. At 63 I'm still learning.
      The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
        UWRF = .487
        Stout = .486
        Superior = .502

Only remaining game is UWEC at UWSP. Unless I completely misunderstand the formulas (which is always probable) the records of both these teams OP + OOP are "baked into" their current SOS respectively. Since the last game for any of them is the final in question, I would think that would dictate their SOS numbers (as of NCAA new SOS available tomorrow), for the regular season. Happy to hear Webb's take on this, no offense taken. At 63 I'm still learning.
        Each teams own games are disregarded when calculating Opponents' Winning Percentage, so if I understand your post to be saying that a game between the two of them being would have no impact on either SOS, I THINK you are correct.
        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
          Personally, I would say UWS is Superior...
          St. Norbert College Green Knights
          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          ---
          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

I've generally seen people on this forum refer to UW-Stout as "UWST".
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

UWRF = .487
              Stout = .486
              Superior = .502

UWSP's current SOS is 0.521
              UWEC's record is 16-6-3. That is more than UWSP's SOS. (unfortunately we can't see what UWSP's OWP is from this data, but it looks like UWSP OWP will be helped by playing UWEC).
              UWEC's SOS is 0.527, but we don't know what their OWP is, so we can't see what the effect would be on UWSP's OOWP would be, because we can't see the data broken down.

Results of the games don't figure into SOS. You don't hurt your own OWP by beating another team, and you don't help your own OOWP by beating them either. Those game are deleted from the record when you calculate the two metrics. It would be nice if the OWP and OOWP were broken out separately.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                The rankings are determined according to the NCAA guidelines. Learn them - live with them.
                No greater truth was ever spoken on this board. Particularly at this time of the year.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...l_20161129.pdf
                Last edited by ColdInRomney; 02-27-2017, 07:21 PM.
                Oswego State 1980 Grad
                (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Video from the NJCAA Championships

The last-ever NJCAA national hockey tournament final.
                  Last edited by norm1909; 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM.
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    Each teams own games are disregarded when calculating Opponents' Winning Percentage, so if I understand your post to be saying that a game between the two of them being would have no impact on either SOS, I THINK you are correct.
                    The light just went on
                    What I have not addressed is the semi-final games (as I think you pointed out, and I missed) played over this past weekend. Each finalist played 2 games against opponents with lower SOS, and none of those games were included in the last SOS calculations of UWSP .521 and UWEC .527. Therefore the upcoming SOS for both teams, due out tomorrow, will be lower than those numbers were on the 21st. That's why XYZ was saying ".510+", because he'd already calc'd the games of 2/24 & 2/25 into his upcoming SOS for Point. Like I said, still learning.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      Will be more like a .510+
                      Due to the two games against UWS that were not included in the .521 last Tuesday, yes?

Comment

The light just went on
                        What I have not addressed is the semi-final games (as I think you pointed out, and I missed) played over this past weekend. Each finalist played 2 games against opponents with lower SOS, and none of those games were included in the last SOS calculations of UWSP .521 and UWEC .527. Therefore the upcoming SOS for both teams, due out tomorrow, will be lower than those numbers were on the 21st. That's why XYZ was saying ".510+", because he'd already calc'd the games of 2/24 & 2/25 into his upcoming SOS for Point. Like I said, still learning.
                        Correct. Same page now lol Don't you just love those "ding" moments when the light clicks on!! They took a big hit with those opponents. I remember seeing something about that, so when you posted the SOS I was confused myself....if I could have looked up last weeks stats..... At least you're willing to learn and attempt to understand unlike others Either way it would be nice if the NCAA would leave things up and or publish the stats before Tuesday so we could all have a heads up on stats. It's not a total secret if you want to take the time (or create your own formula to compute SoS ect ect). IMO just post the darn thing so we have numbers to crunch before the list comes out. Saves a lot of headache. Baby steps I guess.
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          Correct. Same page now lol Don't you just love those "ding" moments when the light clicks on!! They took a big hit with those opponents. I remember seeing something about that, so when you posted the SOS I was confused myself....if I could have looked up last weeks stats..... At least you're willing to learn and attempt to understand unlike others Either way it would be nice if the NCAA would leave things up and or publish the stats before Tuesday so we could all have a heads up on stats. It's not a total secret if you want to take the time (or create your own formula to compute SoS ect ect). IMO just post the darn thing so we have numbers to crunch before the list comes out. Saves a lot of headache. Baby steps I guess.
                          It would also be useful if somebody on this site would put the PWC page back up. But since "the committee doesn't use them in a predictable way," they don't put them up. It's not that hard to do - I used to track OWP, OOWP, and OOOWP when I did my rankings, but it takes setting up a data base with all games that have been played. (Of course all we have to do is look at KRACH) (sarcasm font).
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            It would also be useful if somebody on this site would put the PWC page back up. But since "the committee doesn't use them in a predictable way," they don't put them up. It's not that hard to do - I used to track OWP, OOWP, and OOOWP when I did my rankings, but it takes setting up a data base with all games that have been played. (Of course all we have to do is look at KRACH) (sarcasm font).
                            I use to do my own excel page, but coaching duties limits my time to do such. I say we just listen to the KRACH...save us all the time....
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Due to the two games against UWS that were not included in the .521 last Tuesday, yes?
                              Aye.

Point will be .510 and change. Probably to the favorable side for reasons I won't explain here but I'd wager somewhere in the .513-517 range.
                              Last edited by XYZ; 02-28-2017, 01:40 AM.
                              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

NCAA Rankings for this week are up.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehock...gional-ranking

Comment

Working...
                                X