Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    That's what happens when the judges are Packers fans... they get jealous that New England has a Super Bowl Champion, so they take it out on the Vermont cheese
    and, BTW, 13>5 ...
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

I think this thread has ran its course... :-)
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Three topics I try to avoid in social settings:

Religion

Politics

What color cheese should (not) be.
        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Guys its CHEESE..... all that matters is that you put it on the best HAMBURGERS around found here in NY.... (TIC)
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

You never answered my question about why Wisconsin brags about cheddar but wears styrofoam Swiss cheese on their heads.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              You never answered my question about why Wisconsin brags about cheddar but wears styrofoam Swiss cheese on their heads.
              Swiss is more stylish on a hat?

The real story is that some Brewers fans were upset at being called 'cheeseheads' by White Sox fans. Inspiration struck, and they created the hat to negate the insult and turn it into a tongue-in-cheek badge of honor. Pretty good accounting of it here, including noting that the hat really has parts of three cheeses;
              http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/201...d21/Cheesehead
              ---

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                Swiss is more stylish on a hat?

The real story is that some Brewers fans were upset at being called 'cheeseheads' by White Sox fans. Inspiration struck, and they created the hat to negate the insult and turn it into a tongue-in-cheek badge of honor. Pretty good accounting of it here, including noting that the hat really has parts of three cheeses;
                http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/201...d21/Cheesehead
                So did Wisconsiners (ites, ians?) then retaliate by calling them "Flat Landers"? Because as a native Illinoisian who attended Lutheran schools, and therefore had A LOT of teachers from Wisconsin, I never understood why that was suppose to be an insult and/or funny.
                Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  Not Swiss cheese...a sofa cushion...from a 2008 newspaper story t

How it all began.....

To think, if it weren't for that girl coming up and trying on Ralph Bruno's new hat, he might still have been known as the guy who made a cheese hat out of his mom's couch cushion.

Instead, he's the inventor of the Cheesehead. We like to think of him as Father Fromage.

"I was reupholstering my mother's couch when I got the idea," Bruno said Friday from Wisconsin. "People from Chicago would also call people from Wisconsin 'cheeseheads' in sort of a negative connotation.

"But I liked cheese and I figured what's the big deal? So I cut out a piece of the cushion of the couch, burnt some holes in it and painted it to look like a big slice of cheddar cheese."

The Cheesehead's first appearance wasn't at a Packers game, instead debuting at a Milwaukee Brewers game in 1987. Bruno never planned for the cheddar cap to take off, but as he sat around in the stands, people started to ask where he got it.

That's when Bruno thought he might be onto something.

"I didn't have a college degree," Bruno said. "It was a combination of a lack of knowledge -- not knowing that I should quit my job and go door-to-door with this thing that helped it take off."

Bruno used a grassroots campaign to sell the idea of the Cheesehead. He went to different sporting events and shop them to Wisconsinites. They bought hard.

"It's so gratifying, for sure, to see it so popular now," he said. "It's such an important part of fan morale. They're the ones that make the hat popular."

This week, with the NFC Championship Game between the Green Bay Packers and Giants set for tomorrow evening, Bruno's St. Francis, Wis.-based company Foamation, Inc., which makes his Cheesehead and other related products is putting in nearly double the amount of orders they usually take.

While he doesn't disclose how many Cheeseheads the company actually sells -- "It adds to the mystique," he says -- Bruno says the number is in the thousands.

Bruno, who still lives in Wisconsin doesn't get to many sporting events, much less Packers games. He's too busy producing hats, cup holders and other cheese apparel to get to Lambeau Field. Although since he's the creator of the Cheesehead, everyone tries to hit him up for tickets.

He won't get a chance to watch tomorrow's game -- though, of course, he's rooting for a Packers' victory -- but, he will have a smile on his face when he sees all his Cheeseheads keeping fans warm.

As for the original?

"Right now, it's in a plastic bag in the hall closet," Bruno said. "Hopefully they'll win so I get to take it out in two weeks."

Brendan Prunty may be reached at bprunty@starledger.com
                  LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                    Guys its CHEESE..... all that matters is that you put it on the best HAMBURGERS around found here in NY.... (TIC)
                    Are you trying to turn this into a garbage plate/Michigans discussion?
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      Are you trying to turn this into a garbage plate/Michigans discussion?
                      Speaking of plates, don't you have china patterns and flatware to pick out?
                      LakerEagleLover

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                        Right after my boat ride...
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                          Good heavens, is Prezde getting married?!
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Good heavens, is Prezde getting married?!
                            Ya gotta keep up, Russell or you'll be left behind....
                            LakerEagleLover

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                              So did Wisconsiners (ites, ians?) then retaliate by calling them "Flat Landers"? Because as a native Illinoisian who attended Lutheran schools, and therefore had A LOT of teachers from Wisconsin, I never understood why that was suppose to be an insult and/or funny.
                              Flat Landers isn't generally meant as an insult. The term I hear more often is "FIB" as in "I was driving on I-94 and some FIB cut me off".
                              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                                Flat Landers isn't generally meant as an insult. The term I hear more often is "FIB" as in "I was driving on I-94 and some FIB cut me off".
                                I would agree. FIB is the insult, Flatlander is a kindler, gentler swat. And, really, driving south on 55 or 57 can be so flat and boring, I guess.

And Minnesotans are "puddle jumpers", even though Wisconsin has more lakes (some say).

And it is Wisconsinite...

What did I forget? Oh, someone from the Upper Peninsula of Mich. is a Yooper, but that's not an insult, dontcha know.
                                Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 03-10-2017, 10:45 AM.
                                ---

Comment

Working...
                                X