Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Quote Originally Posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
    Honest to God, my first thought was "wow, I can't believe we didn't get a bye" and my second thought was "nice, I get to go to a game this weekend"
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    2. As we have long said, the difference between DI and DIII can characterized as the difference between "students who happen to be athletes" and "athletes who happen to be students." DI basketball players are employees of the school who are paid with an education instead of money. The schools want to profit, whether it's financially or through exposure that improves enrollment. These tournaments are a cash-grab, as DI athletics is a business first and foremost, just like all the pro leagues. If you watch DI sports and don't accept that fact, you will live in constant frustration. They periodically try to host it elsewhere, and yet they keep going back to Albany because it's where they profit the most. Monmouth wants to host? They need to show they can be profitable by putting back butts in the seats.
    Point conceded. That is indeed the reality. The NCAA's hypocrisy when it comes to DI is disgusting, and even if that's the reality it doesn't make it right. But that's why I have made a conscious effort to more passionately follow the DIII seasons of the main sports I follow (football, hockey, baseball). Hockey is the easiest to do so, in large part due to this form.

3. My Most Significant Response: "Sienna" is a yellowish-brown pigment and a Japanese minivan. "Siena" is a city in Italy and a college in Loudonville, NY. Learn the difference
    My apologies. I imagine it's an equal level of annoyance to when I hear someone pronounce the "s" at the end of "Illinois".

Cadets fan by marriage

Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Honest to God, my first thought was "wow, I can't believe we didn't get a bye" and my second thought was "nice, I get to go to a game this weekend"
    I certainly have no complaints about going to one extra Cadets game. The ultimate possibility of a matchup with Oswego, that failed to materialize earlier in the season, is exciting as well.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
    Woohoo!! Finally, FINALLY there is a heated topic where it is not all RIT's fault!

It's Adrian's fault!
    (runs and hides)
    Nah...it's always RIT's Fault...

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NU Pastime View Post
    My apologies. I imagine it's an equal level of annoyance to when I hear someone pronounce the "s" at the end of "Illinois".
    People do that? Etymologically, that makes no sense...

4x NCAA Champs - Pride of the West
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    The rule that requires flights paid for by the NCAA for trips of more than 500 miles is reasonable. What is not reasonable is the requirement to minimize flights. The reason for that rule is that the NCAA Division 3 budget is strapped because the NCAA as a whole provides 3% of its budget to cover a division that includes more schools than there are in Division I. I understand the reasoning for the brackets as they came out based on the rules. My point, and it is probably too subtle for you to get, is that Division III is underfunded relative to its size. Would the NCAA increase Division III funding from 3% to 4% of its total budget, the issue with flights would be eliminated.

I know what the procedures are, I accept them, but I do resent the NCAA's underfunding of Division III sports when there is so much abuse and waste in the way that the NCAA conducts professional sports (or as it is usually called Division I sports).
    You're right...it IS disproportionate. If it weren't for the Division I school and the revenue they generate Division III wouldn't get even close to the funding they do get because the "revenue" Division III championships generate wouldn't cover it all. We should all be thankful travel and per diem are what they are as opposed to what it could be.

who the hello?

The bracket had to be like this. Anyone who saw any of the Point vs Adrian trilogy this season knows there has to be a rubber match asap.

And I know it's been said before but in '12 SNC was the defending national champion and the overall #1 seed and was forced to play a first round game. All it meant in the long run was that SNC fans got to watch an additional home game en route to another national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    I certainly have no complaints about going to one extra Cadets game. The ultimate possibility of a matchup with Oswego, that failed to materialize earlier in the season, is exciting as well.
    +1
    Oswego State 1980 Grad
    (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by UCBadger View Post
    They (Mike & Mike) also talked about how the automatic bid to the tournament should not go to the conference tournament winner, but to the regular season champion......just saying.
    Been saying that from the first season the conference-tournament gimmick was trotted-out in any sport.

It's a ridiculous "metric", kinda like the Electoral College.

Anyone know how the "proceeds" from the extra game get allocated? Does NU get to keep any, or does it all go into the NCAA coffers?

Its a Great Day for Hockey!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    Nah...it's always RIT's Fault...
    You know, I had thought about posting that, but right now they have (hehe) their own problems after being (embarrassing) eliminated in the first round (hahaha) of the Atlantic Hockey tournament (...and it was best of 3 games!!!!) by a team that had only won 3(!) games all season (ROFL)....so why kick them when they are down?
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2017 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar

Bump, so we don't have to sort through as much Chinese Spam

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QU PC BC and Hobart fan

Can a moderator please delete those Chinese spam threads
    Hobart Statesmen
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    Boston College Eagles
    Providence College Friars

#EasternBias is the only way

Joe Gravellese is Jesuit Jesus

Jack O'Callahan: "You know what Coxy let me ask you a question. Why'd you wanna play college hockey?"
    Cox: "Isn't it obvious? For the girls."

Quote Originally Posted by CardFan View Post
    Does anyone ever do a bracket challenge? Sorry irrelevant, but was curious!
    My wife and I filled out brackets for fun/bragging rights. Nothing formal.
    4x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014
    2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

QU PC BC and Hobart fan

Can some one clear this up for me once and for all- What is the seeding 1-12? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Hobart Statesmen
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    Boston College Eagles
    Providence College Friars

#EasternBias is the only way

Joe Gravellese is Jesuit Jesus

Jack O'Callahan: "You know what Coxy let me ask you a question. Why'd you wanna play college hockey?"
    Cox: "Isn't it obvious? For the girls."

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
    Can some one clear this up for me once and for all- What is the seeding 1-12? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    There isnt per say

Bump, so we don't have to sort through as much Chinese Spam
    and my phone is tapped as well....make USCHO great again

Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    and my phone is tapped as well....make USCHO great again
    Sad!
    4x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014
    2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Quote Originally Posted by NU Pastime View Post
    They actually did bring up the Ivy League. Greeney said that the Ivy League was the only one to do it right, unaware that they did change this year, upon which he was corrected and said "Even the Ivy League, with their trillion dollar endowments, caved to the cash-grab of conference tournaments."
    Ironically, the Big Ten, a cash grab conference if you ever saw one, was also one of the last holdouts to having a conference tournament for basketball.

Thread Information