Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Hoping Hobart does not have to travel to Adrian ...although happy to get into tournament....Saturdays Hobart-Utica game will be brutal...both teams will be hoping to get back to the AUD for the real final

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Hoping Hobart does not have to travel to Adrian ...although happy to get into tournament....Saturdays Hobart-Utica game will be brutal...both teams will be hoping to get back to the AUD for the real final
    Yup sucks even more if you have a large crowd following, reminds me of a few years ago when Oswego went there, Rink capacity is on the small side like Hobarts, good luck getting a ticket if they make it and you had interest in going.

Rocking 'The Stone'

Quote Originally Posted by OZrebel View Post
    Yup sucks even more if you have a large crowd following, reminds me of a few years ago when Oswego went there, Rink capacity is on the small side like Hobarts, good luck getting a ticket if they make it and you had interest in going.
    Roughly 550 seats, plus standing room, at Adrian...I stand when I am there..
    SNC Men:
    Four Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014..
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017..
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    Where?
    There -> http://d3hockey.com/bracketology/men/2017/feb-28
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Cadets fan by marriage

Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    Webb has Augsburg out.
    Trinity over Augsburg, Hmmm
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Cadets fan by marriage

Quote Originally Posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
    Thanks. I hadn't recognized the new choices across the top of the Bracketology page.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Cadets fan by marriage

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    It's no more challenging than any other east-west split is.
    What might Augsburg's SOS move to, by virtue of their last game against St Thomas? Is it likely to break the .500 barrier?

Here every day

No
    It all starts with the goaltending.

VOTL '09-13

Looking for 2-3 tickets for Oswego game this weekend. not sure if anyone has any or knows of any. Thanks!
    WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

who the hello?
    Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    Trinity over Augsburg, Hmmm
    Yes, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by altazo View Post
    Yes, absolutely.
    No need to worry about that as Augsburg will defeat U$T on Saturday night and make it in.

who the hello?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldauggie View Post
    No need to worry about that as Augsburg will defeat U$T on Saturday night and make it in.
    Cool. I'm certainly not worried about it and would imagine Augsburg is the favorite in that one.

If you wanna pull a Pool C bid out of the MIAC, a team would be best served to bring a regular season record like St. John's did in '04-'05 (not that it's impossible - see St. Thomas in '11-'12.)

bump

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Not at all. Not at all.

A win is a win. A loss is a loss. No matter when or where they occur.
    If only...

Anything can happen in a given conference tournament, for instance, and a couple of upset wins in one of those those events can easily undo the RS, and award wildly exponential value to 2 or 3 games over a weekend. "A win is (not) a win" under this system; those two wins end-up > than the entire body of work that preceded them.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-02-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Except in the WIAC and ECAC-W, a win is a win and a loss is a loss as they don't have the AQ.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16)

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Except in the WIAC and ECAC-W, a win is a win and a loss is a loss as they don't have the AQ.
    Yes. And I'd like to see that apply across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Yes. And I'd like to see that apply across the board.
    And Notre Dame will win the 2018 FBS title.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    And Notre Dame will win the 2018 FBS title.
    Ummm... OK. So you're saying that ND is someone's statistical favorite? IDTS.

To your "point", the FBS system was a lot better than the coach's poll, and a better metric than any other major college sport uses.

Sure, people had problems with it, but I'd guess that those folks never did the math. (Eg, just because some peoples' heads exploded when TCU won their last game a couple of years back and was overtaken by a team one spot behind them which had a better win that same day, didn't mean that TCU deserved to stay where they were, on the basis of an entire season.)

That sort of statistical integrity is what many of you apparently fail to appreciate. The last game you play counts no more than any other game you play, if you are evaluating a single season in a logical sense.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-02-2017 at 10:40 PM.

If only...

Anything can happen in a given conference tournament, for instance, and a couple of upset wins in one of those those events can easily undo the RS, and award wildly exponential value to 2 or 3 games over a weekend. "A win is (not) a win" under this system; those two wins end-up > than the entire body of work that preceded them.
    But that wasn't what the original question was about which I responded to.

Based on the original question, I stand by my answer.

What you are bringing up is an entirely different (albeit, should not be ignored) topic.

Colorado Cadets Fan

If only...

The Division III culture has decided - for better or worse - that the way to award NC bids is to emphasize conference championships. The conferences have decided (in all sports) that the way to award a championship is through a conference tournament. The formulae for determining field size has also created an increasing number of conferences being formed that (magically) have just about 7 teams. The best way to get to a point at which there are more at large bids is to increase the minimum size of a conference for an AQ from 7 to 10. There would be a consolidation of conferences - the number of Pool A slots would go down, the number of Pool B and C slots would correspondingly increase. Pool C slots largely come from the excess teams in conferences (the number of teams in conferences in excess of 6.5). This is not just a hockey thing, this same effect is found in every DIII sport. The conferences, want their tournaments to mean something, so they award their Pool A slot to the winner of the tournament. You can argue philosophy all you want, but that is how it plays out given the way the NCAA does things in all sports. Teams and fans need to play in the system that exists. We can argue all we want about what would be better, but it would require agreement from more than just hockey people to change this. There are a lot of entrenched interests and conference philosophies that would have to be changed. In particular, the "little" conferences in all sports like the system as it works. If you think the CCC or the MASCAC is going to voluntarily give up their AQ in hockey or award their AQ to the regular season champion, you are not thinking.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Thread Information