2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
    Nowhere does it say "seed each region separately" either.
    It does say "the committee will pair the teams regionally, based on geographic location of all participants and final seeding." So actually it does pretty much say that.

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
      ...has it really come to this...? (asking for a friend)
      Apparently it has. Their weak argument has been shot full of holes so badly they have to resort to a response like that.

Comment

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
        It does say "the committee will pair the teams regionally, based on geographic location of all participants and final seeding." So actually it does pretty much say that.
        "The sky has clouds", See it really does say that it's blue!
        The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Somebody is hard-done by the system in every sport every year. This year, it was Norwich. Last year, it was Plattsburgh in many people's opinions. Remember that time St. Norbert had to play a first-rounder as the #1 seed because SOMEBODY had to play Adrian? Or the time Plattsburgh had to "host" Trinity in Connecticut because the Women's team was too good? Or the time the Saints had to travel to the 7-9 Seahawks because of an arbitrary divisional structure? I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. There are too many variables at play in sports playoffs for everybody nobody to get screwed.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

So after an entire day of "debate" you finally get to this after Webb pointed out the absurdity of giving Norwich a bye? Norwich is playing the lowest seeded team in the tournament and then has a week off. I fail to see where there is a legitimate complaint.

If you go way back the reason the 500 mile rule exists is because before it did schools who had to fly would pay their own way to fly in a championship as a tradeoff for increased tournament access. Rule was created so schools wouldn't be stuck with the bill for a flight to play one game. Paying for a flight for some schools could be burdensome. This is the trade-off and not a bad one at that. If you don't like it, take it up with the Division III Management Council. I'm sure they'd be happy to educate you further. Unless of course you have no interest in understanding how most of this works.
            Rather than paraphrasing Mr Webb, would you kindly offer a quote? I see nothing in his Bracketology article or forum posts that says "giving Norwich a bye is absurd".

What he does say about the resulting bracket is this "Not quite, as recall we did promise more than one bracket. Without a lot of explanation, here is what the bracket would look like with these seeds and two West Region quartefinals. Not because we expect it, but rather because we don't think its appearance is completely out of the question. In fact, we give it a better chance that probably most anyone else does..." Not that he prefers it, not that it makes the most sense, not that a bye for Norwich is absurd". Just that it is not completely out of the question.
            The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

"The sky has clouds", See it really does say that it's blue!
              Don't shoot the messenger. I've read the NCAA handbook for the tournament online. Have you?

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                Somebody is hard-done by the system in every sport every year. This year, it was Norwich. Last year, it was Plattsburgh in many people's opinions. Remember that time St. Norbert had to play a first-rounder as the #1 seed because SOMEBODY had to play Adrian? Or the time Plattsburgh had to "host" Trinity in Connecticut because the Women's team was too good? Or the time the Saints had to travel to the 7-9 Seahawks because of an arbitrary divisional structure? I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. There are too many variables at play in sports playoffs for everybody nobody to get screwed.
                Totally agree, and remember half of your examples. My issue is with those who by some ill-considered "logic" attempt to explain it as "obviously the only logical way it could have been done" since it favors their team(s).

Comment

Don't shoot the messenger. I've read the NCAA handbook for the tournament online. Have you?
                  Yes, (page 16) and your quote does not indicate that the regions should be seeded separately, despite your "pretty much".
                  Last edited by peddler; 03-07-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    Amen...Saturday can't come fast enough...

OSWEGO, N.Y. – Ticket information for Oswego State men's ice hockey's NCAA Division III Championship First Round contest against Hamilton College at 7 p.m. on Saturday in the Marano Campus Center Arena is below.

Oswego State season-ticket holders may begin purchasing seats at 12 p.m. on Tuesday at the Marano Campus Center Box Office. Season-ticket holders will have until 5 p.m. on Wednesday to claim their seats.

On Thursday, tickets will become available to the general public when the box office opens at 10 a.m.

All tickets will cost $8 – excluding students. Students of SUNY Oswego and Hamilton College will be able to purchase tickets for $4 with a valid school ID.

Purchasing of tickets can be done in person at the Marano Campus Center Box Office, online at tickets.oswego.edu or by calling 315-312-3073.
                    Last edited by LakerEagleLover; 03-07-2017, 11:30 AM.
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Woohoo!! Finally, FINALLY there is a heated topic where it is not all RIT's fault!

It's Adrian's fault!
                      (runs and hides)
                      Dave
                      RIT - '90

Comment

In Response to LakerEagle, about Oz Tickets

Just hung out in the line for about 45 min. and got my four, Have one window open and one for the phones. Id wait until off peak times if your going in person as right now its quite the line.

Comment

Yes, (page 16) and your quote does not indicate that the regions should be seeded separately, despite your "pretty much".
                          Then tell me, wise one, how it should be seeded.

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                            The thing is, people get fleeced in any system where the seeding is subjective - which is every NCAA tournament as far as I'm aware. Whether we're talking about the billion-dollar business of DI football or cash-strapped DIII hockey, someone always feels like they're getting hosed.

I was watching Mike & Mike this morning when they talked about how Monmouth got screwed in their conference basketball tournament. As the #1 seed they had to play a true road game at tournament host #4 seed Sienna simply because Sienna sells more tickets. And Monmouth lost. That puts into perspective the minor complaints we have about seeding and the system, which while perhaps irksome are rational and logical. I believe that generally speaking most people involved in DIII athletics have the best interests of the student-athletes, the schools, and their respective sports in mind. We should be thankful we don't have to deal with the blatant corruption and hypocrisy that is DI.
                            They (Mike & Mike) also talked about how the automatic bid to the tournament should not go to the conference tournament winner, but to the regular season champion......just saying.
                            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                              They (Mike & Mike) also talked about how the automatic bid to the tournament should not go to the conference tournament winner, but to the regular season champion......just saying.
                              Which I also completely agree with. Glad to hear someone say it.
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                                But that's completely up to the individual conferences. That's not the NCAA's fault that they all pick the tournament champion. Even the Ivy League finally caved and is having a four-team tournament this year, which I'm not sure whether Mike & Mike were aware of or not...

In some cases, this is the only way some conferences can get two teams into the tourney.
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95
                                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                                X