Don't forget your kleenex
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      Don't forget your kleenex
      Thanks for the reminder, otherwise I'd forget.
      The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

I think that a difference of 0.006 in SOS is pretty meaningless, and Hobart's Winning percentage is a pretty big advantage, especially when you consider their SOS metrics are very close. I still don't buy it, especially since the metrics don't really change that much over the last three weeks.

Of course it is what it is, but I still find it hard to see how Trin-Trin would have jumped over 5 teams in the last week.

Despite my jokes about Norwich not being seeded number 1 because they aren't playing Trinity, I know the bracket was set up so there would be 1E - 2W and 1W - 2E semifinals if favorites win out.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          I think that a difference of 0.006 in SOS is pretty meaningless, and Hobart's Winning percentage is a pretty big advantage, especially when you consider their SOS metrics are very close. I still don't buy it, especially since the metrics don't really change that much over the last three weeks.

Of course it is what it is, but I still find it hard to see how Trin-Trin would have jumped over 5 teams in the last week.

Despite my jokes about Norwich not being seeded number 1 because they aren't playing Trinity, I know the bracket was set up so there would be 1E - 2W and 1W - 2E semifinals if favorites win out.
          Maybe its the makeup call from 3 years ago when TrinTrin went from #1 to adios.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
            It is quite apparent that the bracket was seeded so Norwich & Oswego will get to play each other after being denied the opportunity in the Northfield Bank Tournament.
            I was at the Norwich tourney ans Oswego didnt deserve to play in the championship game,but I hear ya

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post

They jumped because they were winning games and the other teams were not. Teams that they played earlier also have moved into the ranking which increased their numbers as well. Really simple.
              I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Doesn't seem to be a priority in other brackets
                Actually it was. Norwich follows a path of playing 8 East and 4 East to get to Utica, just like any tournament format would set up that is seeded. Nowhere in NCAA handbook does it say a 1 seed gets a bye. This year's tournament bracket is one of best ever as far as matching people against the corresponding seed in the early rounds. The committee did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                  Actually it was. Norwich follows a path of playing 8 East and 4 East to get to Utica, just like any tournament format would set up that is seeded. Nowhere in NCAA handbook does it say a 1 seed gets a bye. This year's tournament bracket is one of best ever as far as matching people against the corresponding seed in the early rounds. The committee did a great job.
                  Within regions it is fine, but it's the issue of having the West overrepresented with the byes and the number of spots in Utica.

Having 4 pods of three teams including an Oswego/Adrian/Hobart pod would have balanced it better. The west would be guaranteed 1 spot in Utica, the east would be guaranteed 2 spots, and one spot would be up for grabs.

It's not a big deal for Norwich to have to play Salem State - in fact, having a bye when you are playing a team that played the week before can be a disadvantage. I just don't like the optics which favor the so-called West.

Comment

Lots of talk about Norwich getting hosed by not getting a bye. I think they did get a bye, just like the New England Patriots got a bye when the Houston Texans came to Foxborough. Their quarterfinal may pit them against Oswego. That will be a tough game, but what alternative is there?

Because of mileage restrictions, SNC and Stevens Point are the only western teams that can travel to Adrian. Augsburg can ONLY travel to SNC or Stevens Point in the first two rounds (Adrian is 627 miles from Augsburg). So you can give Augsburg a first round game against Stevens Point and then have SNC waiting for the winner in the quarter; however, that scenario could pit the #1 and #2 teams in the west in a quarter final matchup. Not good to eliminate one of those in the quarters.

Has anyone provided a sample bracket using the same 12 teams that gives Norwich a bye; and, sticks to the NCAA mileage requirements through the first two rounds without SNC and Stevens Point both not having an opportunity to go to Utica? I'm curious if anyone can come up with such a scenario.

Comment

Within regions it is fine, but it's the issue of having the West overrepresented with the byes and the number of spots in Utica.

Having 4 pods of three teams including an Oswego/Adrian/Hobart pod would have balanced it better. The west would be guaranteed 1 spot in Utica, the east would be guaranteed 2 spots, and one spot would be up for grabs.

It's not a big deal for Norwich to have to play Salem State - in fact, having a bye when you are playing a team that played the week before can be a disadvantage. I just don't like the optics which favor the so-called West.
                      How is having the top two seeds in a region meeting in the quarterfinals balanced? It simply isn't. If a scenario existed where Norwich was playing the 2nd Eastern team in the quarterfinals, in this case Trinity, you'd find that the current bracket as it exists is a much more palatable option.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        You're right, we forgot....

1 SNC
                        2. UWSP
                        3. Adrian
                        4. Augsburg
                        5. IT
                        6. DOESN'T
                        7. MATTER
                        8. WHO
                        9. IS
                        10.NEXT
                        11. BECAUSE THE
                        12. WEST RULES....
                        Eastern Bias now reminds you to take a seat and be quiet. Thank you for your cooperation.
                        Hobart Statesmen
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        Boston College Eagles
                        Providence College Friars

#EasternBias is the only way

Jack O'Callahan: "You know what Coxy let me ask you a question. Why'd you wanna play college hockey?"
                        Cox: "Isn't it obvious? For the girls."

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                          How is having the top two seeds in a region meeting in the quarterfinals balanced? It simply isn't. If a scenario existed where Norwich was playing the 2nd Eastern team in the quarterfinals, in this case Trinity, you'd find that the current bracket as it exists is a much more palatable option.
                          I was referring to East/West Balance and nothing else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Trev View Post
                            Eastern Bias now reminds you to take a seat and be quiet. Thank you for your cooperation.
                            Sarcasm...learn it...
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I was referring to East/West Balance and nothing else.
                              You should go over to the other site and read the bracketology explained. You'll like that even less than anything I've had to say...

Comment

My only beef, and it's minor, is that they're only operating it as separate east/west brackets until the semis. If you're going to do that in the first and quarter rounds, do it in the semis too. Guarantee an Eastern and Western representative in the Championship game.

Do a couple eastern teams deserve a bye? Meh, maybe? That's a tough bracket to build. Norwich practically has a bye, unless they S the bed, the other games could be good. Who the heck knows about endicott?

r

Comment

Working...
                                X