Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by spwood View Post
    But that's completely up to the individual conferences. That's not the NCAA's fault that they all pick the tournament champion. Even the Ivy League finally caved and is having a four-team tournament this year, which I'm not sure whether Mike & Mike were aware of or not...

In some cases, this is the only way some conferences can get two teams into the tourney.
    They actually did bring up the Ivy League. Greeney said that the Ivy League was the only one to do it right, unaware that they did change this year, upon which he was corrected and said "Even the Ivy League, with their trillion dollar endowments, caved to the cash-grab of conference tournaments."
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
      They actually did bring up the Ivy League. Greeney said that the Ivy League was the only one to do it right, unaware that they did change this year, upon which he was corrected and said "Even the Ivy League, with their trillion dollar endowments, caved to the cash-grab of conference tournaments."
      LOL! I was driving and arrived at my destination, so only heard the first 60 seconds or so of the discussion. Like I said.....just saying.
      2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
      2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
      2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
      2009 D-III TOP runner-up
      Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
      1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
        Which I also completely agree with. Glad to hear someone say it.
        Agree as well.

Comment

Does anyone ever do a bracket challenge? Sorry irrelevant, but was curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know why you're complaining. If your team truly is the best then that just means you get to watch a bonus game.
            http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
              If you go way back the reason the 500 mile rule exists is because before it did schools who had to fly would pay their own way to fly in a championship as a tradeoff for increased tournament access. Rule was created so schools wouldn't be stuck with the bill for a flight to play one game. Paying for a flight for some schools could be burdensome. This is the trade-off and not a bad one at that. If you don't like it, take it up with the Division III Management Council. I'm sure they'd be happy to educate you further. Unless of course you have no interest in understanding how most of this works.
              The rule that requires flights paid for by the NCAA for trips of more than 500 miles is reasonable. What is not reasonable is the requirement to minimize flights. The reason for that rule is that the NCAA Division 3 budget is strapped because the NCAA as a whole provides 3% of its budget to cover a division that includes more schools than there are in Division I. I understand the reasoning for the brackets as they came out based on the rules. My point, and it is probably too subtle for you to get, is that Division III is underfunded relative to its size. Would the NCAA increase Division III funding from 3% to 4% of its total budget, the issue with flights would be eliminated.

I know what the procedures are, I accept them, but I do resent the NCAA's underfunding of Division III sports when there is so much abuse and waste in the way that the NCAA conducts professional sports (or as it is usually called Division I sports).
              Last edited by NUProf; 03-07-2017, 05:21 PM.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                Then tell me, wise one, how it should be seeded.
                Read the rest of Webb's Bracketology. Not just the part that makes you pleased.
                The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                  I was watching Mike & Mike this morning when they talked about how Monmouth got screwed in their conference basketball tournament. As the #1 seed they had to play a true road game at tournament host #4 seed Sienna simply because Sienna sells more tickets. And Monmouth lost. That puts into perspective the minor complaints we have about seeding and the system, which while perhaps irksome are rational and logical.
                  As a graduate of Siena College, here's what I have to say about that:

1. i'm 100% certain that the location of the game had absolutely nothing to do with Monmouth's defensive collapse in that game. Siena scored 25 points in the 1st half, and the. monmouth let them score 64 in the 2nd half. A guy who was playing on a sprained ankle scored 27 points. Monmouth can't blame the court or the crowd for their failure to play defense.

2. As we have long said, the difference between DI and DIII can characterized as the difference between "students who happen to be athletes" and "athletes who happen to be students." DI basketball players are employees of the school who are paid with an education instead of money. The schools want to profit, whether it's financially or through exposure that improves enrollment. These tournaments are a cash-grab, as DI athletics is a business first and foremost, just like all the pro leagues. If you watch DI sports and don't accept that fact, you will live in constant frustration. They periodically try to host it elsewhere, and yet they keep going back to Albany because it's where they profit the most. Monmouth wants to host? They need to show they can be profitable by putting back butts in the seats.

3. My Most Significant Response: "Sienna" is a yellowish-brown pigment and a Japanese minivan. "Siena" is a city in Italy and a college in Loudonville, NY. Learn the difference
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                    I don't know why you're complaining. If your team truly is the best then that just means you get to watch a bonus game.
                    Honest to God, my first thought was "wow, I can't believe we didn't get a bye" and my second thought was "nice, I get to go to a game this weekend"

Comment

• Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                      Honest to God, my first thought was "wow, I can't believe we didn't get a bye" and my second thought was "nice, I get to go to a game this weekend"
                      +1
                      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        2. As we have long said, the difference between DI and DIII can characterized as the difference between "students who happen to be athletes" and "athletes who happen to be students." DI basketball players are employees of the school who are paid with an education instead of money. The schools want to profit, whether it's financially or through exposure that improves enrollment. These tournaments are a cash-grab, as DI athletics is a business first and foremost, just like all the pro leagues. If you watch DI sports and don't accept that fact, you will live in constant frustration. They periodically try to host it elsewhere, and yet they keep going back to Albany because it's where they profit the most. Monmouth wants to host? They need to show they can be profitable by putting back butts in the seats.
                        Point conceded. That is indeed the reality. The NCAA's hypocrisy when it comes to DI is disgusting, and even if that's the reality it doesn't make it right. But that's why I have made a conscious effort to more passionately follow the DIII seasons of the main sports I follow (football, hockey, baseball). Hockey is the easiest to do so, in large part due to this form.

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        3. My Most Significant Response: "Sienna" is a yellowish-brown pigment and a Japanese minivan. "Siena" is a city in Italy and a college in Loudonville, NY. Learn the difference
                        My apologies. I imagine it's an equal level of annoyance to when I hear someone pronounce the "s" at the end of "Illinois".
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                          I certainly have no complaints about going to one extra Cadets game. The ultimate possibility of a matchup with Oswego, that failed to materialize earlier in the season, is exciting as well.
                          The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                            Woohoo!! Finally, FINALLY there is a heated topic where it is not all RIT's fault!

It's Adrian's fault!
                            (runs and hides)
                            Nah...it's always RIT's Fault...

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                              My apologies. I imagine it's an equal level of annoyance to when I hear someone pronounce the "s" at the end of "Illinois".
                              People do that? Etymologically, that makes no sense...
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                The rule that requires flights paid for by the NCAA for trips of more than 500 miles is reasonable. What is not reasonable is the requirement to minimize flights. The reason for that rule is that the NCAA Division 3 budget is strapped because the NCAA as a whole provides 3% of its budget to cover a division that includes more schools than there are in Division I. I understand the reasoning for the brackets as they came out based on the rules. My point, and it is probably too subtle for you to get, is that Division III is underfunded relative to its size. Would the NCAA increase Division III funding from 3% to 4% of its total budget, the issue with flights would be eliminated.

I know what the procedures are, I accept them, but I do resent the NCAA's underfunding of Division III sports when there is so much abuse and waste in the way that the NCAA conducts professional sports (or as it is usually called Division I sports).
                                You're right...it IS disproportionate. If it weren't for the Division I school and the revenue they generate Division III wouldn't get even close to the funding they do get because the "revenue" Division III championships generate wouldn't cover it all. We should all be thankful travel and per diem are what they are as opposed to what it could be.

Comment

Working...
                                X