X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by altazo View Post
    Yes, absolutely.
    No need to worry about that as Augsburg will defeat U$T on Saturday night and make it in.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldauggie View Post
      No need to worry about that as Augsburg will defeat U$T on Saturday night and make it in.
      Cool. I'm certainly not worried about it and would imagine Augsburg is the favorite in that one.

If you wanna pull a Pool C bid out of the MIAC, a team would be best served to bring a regular season record like St. John's did in '04-'05 (not that it's impossible - see St. Thomas in '11-'12.)

Comment

bump
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Not at all. Not at all.

A win is a win. A loss is a loss. No matter when or where they occur.
          If only...

Anything can happen in a given conference tournament, for instance, and a couple of upset wins in one of those those events can easily undo the RS, and award wildly exponential value to 2 or 3 games over a weekend. "A win is (not) a win" under this system; those two wins end-up > than the entire body of work that preceded them.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-02-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Except in the WIAC and ECAC-W, a win is a win and a loss is a loss as they don't have the AQ.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Except in the WIAC and ECAC-W, a win is a win and a loss is a loss as they don't have the AQ.
              Yes. And I'd like to see that apply across the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Yes. And I'd like to see that apply across the board.
                And Notre Dame will win the 2018 FBS title.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

And Notre Dame will win the 2018 FBS title.
                  Ummm... OK. So you're saying that ND is someone's statistical favorite? IDTS.

To your "point", the FBS system was a lot better than the coach's poll, and a better metric than any other major college sport uses.

Sure, people had problems with it, but I'd guess that those folks never did the math. (Eg, just because some peoples' heads exploded when TCU won their last game a couple of years back and was overtaken by a team one spot behind them which had a better win that same day, didn't mean that TCU deserved to stay where they were, on the basis of an entire season.)

That sort of statistical integrity is what many of you apparently fail to appreciate. The last game you play counts no more than any other game you play, if you are evaluating a single season in a logical sense.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-02-2017, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    If only...

Anything can happen in a given conference tournament, for instance, and a couple of upset wins in one of those those events can easily undo the RS, and award wildly exponential value to 2 or 3 games over a weekend. "A win is (not) a win" under this system; those two wins end-up > than the entire body of work that preceded them.
                    But that wasn't what the original question was about which I responded to.

Based on the original question, I stand by my answer.

What you are bringing up is an entirely different (albeit, should not be ignored) topic.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      If only...

The Division III culture has decided - for better or worse - that the way to award NC bids is to emphasize conference championships. The conferences have decided (in all sports) that the way to award a championship is through a conference tournament. The formulae for determining field size has also created an increasing number of conferences being formed that (magically) have just about 7 teams. The best way to get to a point at which there are more at large bids is to increase the minimum size of a conference for an AQ from 7 to 10. There would be a consolidation of conferences - the number of Pool A slots would go down, the number of Pool B and C slots would correspondingly increase. Pool C slots largely come from the excess teams in conferences (the number of teams in conferences in excess of 6.5). This is not just a hockey thing, this same effect is found in every DIII sport. The conferences, want their tournaments to mean something, so they award their Pool A slot to the winner of the tournament. You can argue philosophy all you want, but that is how it plays out given the way the NCAA does things in all sports. Teams and fans need to play in the system that exists. We can argue all we want about what would be better, but it would require agreement from more than just hockey people to change this. There are a lot of entrenched interests and conference philosophies that would have to be changed. In particular, the "little" conferences in all sports like the system as it works. If you think the CCC or the MASCAC is going to voluntarily give up their AQ in hockey or award their AQ to the regular season champion, you are not thinking.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        Hell, anything can happen in the NCAA tournament as well. Norwich has a fantastic body of work over the course of the year at 21-1-3, but if they "laid an egg" in a quarter final matchup and failed to win that game, should they be awarded to proceed-on to the Semi-Final, based on their prior body of work?

Everyone is aware of what is required to get to the ultimate prize (as Prof detailed)... most importantly, WIN. Win now, win then, win later, win when you are "supposed to", win when you are not "supposed to"... just win. Win the AQ if available, or win enough games over the year to put yourself in a position to claim an at-large.

Is the burden greater for conference that do not have an AQ? Absolutely... but again, the teams in those conferences know that going-in to the year. They know you cannot "get hot" at the end of the season to get their chance to dance. Drop enough games over the course of the year, and you'll need to get a seat in the stands. Win.

Teams in conferences that have an AQ know that come conference tournament time, one loss will likely end their season. Advance to take their conference tournament, and they're dancing. Win.

Make it to the NCAA tournament... Win.

It's actually a pretty simple process, but sometimes difficult to do... Win.
                        Dave
                        RIT - '90

Comment

The Carnage scenario

NEC wins NEHC
                          Plattsburgh wins SUNYAC

Pool C is
                          Norwich
                          Oswego
                          SNC/Adrian loser
                          and most likely the Pool B runner up.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The Carnage scenario

NEC wins NEHC
                            Plattsburgh wins SUNYAC

Pool C is
                            Norwich
                            Oswego
                            SNC/Adrian loser
                            and most likely the Pool B runner up.
                            And it's a very good chance with that scenario that three of the 4 byes would go to Pool C teams with the 4th going to the SNC/Adrian winner.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

One ticket punched, but not sure of the route. Hobart wins the last ECAC-W hockey title 2-1 in overtime
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Should Adrian get a Pool C bid? They finish at 19-6-2 (1-4-2 against ranked opponents including 0-3-0 against SNC). Two years ago SNC coming off of a National Championship finished at 20-6-2 and didn't make the field where I thought a 4th team from the West should have been included in the field (instead of an 8-3 split).

Comment

Working...
                                X