Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    EXCEPT: Market Basket - NOTHING beats them!!!
    Is Market Basket still owned by Acme Markets ?

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
      Wegmans > Price Chopper ......
      Never been to a Wegmans, but it's hard to imagine this statement not being true. Price Chopper is so bad they're trying to rebrand as "Market 32" to escape their own reputation!
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
        Is Market Basket still owned by Acme Markets ?
        If it's the Market Basket (MA) that I am familiar with, it is privately owned and treats its employees well.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          If it's the Market Basket (MA) that I am familiar with, it is privately owned and treats its employees well.
          When I was a kid, Market Basket was the smaller Acme Market. Acme is out of Pennsylvania but closed all their NY stores about 40 years ago.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

When I was a kid, Market Basket was the smaller Acme Market. Acme is out of Pennsylvania but closed all their NY stores about 40 years ago.
            Acme is now owed by Alberson's. (which also owns Safeway and Shaw's / Star Market and many other grocery chains).

When I was a kid (back when dirt was new), Safeway treated their high-school aged employees miserably. As a consequence, even now, I never shop at Safeway.
            Last edited by NUProf; 03-10-2017, 05:58 PM.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Yes, it is the Massachusetts founded Market Basket I was referring too - which is actually DeMoulas Super Markets, Inc., operating under the trade name Market Basket.

And the treat their employees EXTREMELY well - note the following from Wikipedia -

2014 firing of Arthur T. Demoulas and protests[edit]
              Main article: Market Basket protests
              Decades of resentment and legal spats between cousins Arthur S. and Arthur T. Demoulas came to a head in mid-2013, when Evans switched loyalties, tipping the majority vote from Arthur T. to Arthur S. On July 18, 2013, the board did not take up a motion to remove Arthur T. as CEO after protesters gathered outside the meeting. Five days later, the board voted to distribute $250 million to family shareholders, an action opposed by Arthur T. In March 2014, two board members elected by Arthur T., William Shea and Terence Carleton, skipped a board meeting in which it was anticipated that there could be a vote to remove Arthur T. as CEO. Arthur S.'s side of the family sued Shea and Carelton, alleging they had boycotted the meeting. A Suffolk Superior Court judge ruled that Shea and Darman were required to attend the next meeting.

Market Basket's flagship store in Chelsea, Massachusetts, site of June 24 rally
              On June 23, 2014, three top-level executives - CEO Arthur T. Demoulas, Vice President Joseph Rockwell, and Director of Operations William Marsden - were fired by the board.[26] The Chief Executive position was filled by James Gooch, a former Radio Shack executive, and Felicia Thornton, formerly of supermarket company Albertsons, sharing the position. In response, six high-level managers resigned, and 300 employees held a rally outside Market Basket's Chelsea, Massachusetts flagship store on June 24.

Beginning on July 18, 2014, additional protests with as many as 5,000 employees and customers were held at the company's Tewksbury headquarters and other locations demanding the reinstatement of Arthur T. Many warehouse and corporate office workers including delivery truck drivers went on strike, leaving some shelves bare at many Market Basket locations. On July 20, seven employees were fired for their roles in organizing the protests. In the midst of the protests, Arthur T. offered to buy the entire company from his cousins, an offer that the board (controlled by Arthur S.'s family) said it would consider. The board was reportedly also reviewing additional offers.

Sale to Arthur T. Demoulas
              On July 28, 2014, the Boston Globe reported that Arthur T. Demoulas was the only remaining bidder for the 50.5% stake of the company held by the family of Arthur S. Demoulas. All previous offers by outside parties to buy the company had been withdrawn and the board was reportedly "furiously negotiating" with Arthur T. to resolve the situation. The board denied this report, claiming that several offers were still being considered.

On August 17, 2014, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan met with both sides of the feud in an attempt to broker a deal.[22] On August 22, Arthur T. made a $1.5 billion offer for the 50.5% of shares owned by the opposing side of the family; several subsequent days of negotiations initially failed to reach an accord. Some analysts estimated the company to be in "dire" financial straits due to the weeks of protests.

On August 27, 2014, the shareholders of Market Basket reached a deal to sell the remaining 50.5% shares of the company to Arthur T. Demoulas for $1.5 billion.[2][35] According to Fortune, Demoulas was backed by The Blackstone Group, a private equity firm that put up over $500 million towards the purchase price. However, according to the Boston Globe, a source reported the deal was funded with debt, not private equity.

Felicia Thornton and Jim Gooch remained as the Chief Executives of the company but Arthur T. was given full operational authority until the deal closed. On December 12, 2014, it was announced that the deal was complete.

Market Basket does not have self-checkout lanes. Company President Arthur T. Demoulas stated that he wanted "a human being waiting on a human being."
              Larry Normandin
              SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
              WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                Yes, it is the Massachusetts founded Market Basket I was referring too - which is actually DeMoulas Super Markets, Inc., operating under the trade name Market Basket.

And the treat their employees EXTREMELY well - note the following from Wikipedia -
                Upset on the women's side...GAC defeats UWRF 3-2

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

wait, what? we're talking hockey in this thread?
                  St. Norbert College Green Knights
                  NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                  NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                  NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  ---
                  SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    I think it's going to be a muenster weekend in the east.
                    Booooooooooooooo
                    "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Lady Cards down St Thomas 4-2 in the NCAA Quarterfinal - next up - Norwich.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Hey Norm
                        In your humble opinion what makes the Platty women so good for so long. They really beat up on everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X