Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    To maximize OWP, schedule teams out of conference that are going to have good winning percentages and make sure the rest of your league schedules bottom feeders. This means you get the benefit of the schedule of your OOC opponents, and of with the rest of your league beating up on dreck, their winning percentage goes up. For example, you play games against the top of the CCC and the MASCAC and encourage the rest of your league to play the bottom feeders in those leagues. OOWP is harder to manipulate, but again if your opponents play teams in the less robust leagues, they will end up with OWPs close to 0.500 for the non conference portion of their schedule. You don't have to play good teams to get a good SOS metric - just make sure you pick and choose carefully.
    You misunderstood my question. You did provide a fine example of how one might maximize their SOS. But my intention was to inquire after a source of SOS statistics (as in the old published "pairwise" SOS) to use for comparison purposes. One other than KRACH, which I agree is not functionally identical.
    Last edited by peddler; 02-19-2017, 06:31 PM.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
      You misunderstood my question. You did provide a fine example of how one might maximize their SOS. But my intention was to inquire after a source of SOS statistics (as in the old published "pairwise" SOS) to use for comparison purposes. One other than KRACH, which I agree is not functionally identical.
      When they post new NCAA rankings on Tuesday, the links at the bottom (usually) update to the latest stats sheets. After a few days, they usually seem to revert to the 2011 stats until the next week's rankings.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        When they post new NCAA rankings on Tuesday, the links at the bottom (usually) update to the latest stats sheets. After a few days, they usually seem to revert to the 2011 stats until the next week's rankings.
        Exactly what I told him a few posts back. Thanks for agreeing.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          Exactly what I told him a few posts back. Thanks for agreeing.
          Guess I misunderstood you as well. Thanks for the clarification.
          The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            Not unusual for one of the websites, especially the NCAA, to provide "historic" info at some point. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
              Not unusual for one of the websites, especially the NCAA, to provide "historic" info at some point. Thanks
              Guess I misunderstood, too. I thought you were asking how does a team in a poor/mediocre league get a good SOS.

When the rankings come out Tuesday save the stats for future discussion until next Tuesday.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

To maximize OWP, schedule teams out of conference that are going to have good winning percentages and make sure the rest of your league schedules bottom feeders. This means you get the benefit of the schedule of your OOC opponents, and of with the rest of your league beating up on dreck, their winning percentage goes up. For example, you play games against the top of the CCC and the MASCAC and encourage the rest of your league to play the bottom feeders in those leagues. OOWP is harder to manipulate, but again if your opponents play teams in the less robust leagues, they will end up with OWPs close to 0.500 for the non conference portion of their schedule. You don't have to play good teams to get a good SOS metric - just make sure you pick and choose carefully.
                Well, you can't "manipulate" who your conference-mates play. All a team can do -especially if they play in a so-so conference such as the NEHC- is to seek quality OOC scheduling.

That's all there is to it; there's no grand conspiracy at play -or one even remotely possible, considering all the variables involved- and the typical SOS metrics are good enough to hang our hats on, lacking anything better.

Comment

Rankings are out....some movement in the East. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehock...gional-ranking
                  LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Wow...SNC doesn't drop after a loss to MSOE? They must take head to head very seriously.
                    5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

SNC #1? We're 4-3 since the sweep of Adrian, losing to MSOE and CUW (twice!)... A bit surprising to me...
                      St. Norbert College Green Knights
                      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      ---
                      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                        SNC #1? We're 4-3 since the sweep of Adrian, losing to MSOE and CUW (twice!)... A bit surprising to me...
                        I'm just as surprised, but it makes more sense if you check out the regional score reporting form.

I'm impressed that Amherst's D3 record managed to be a date.
                        5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                        2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                          Quality wins versus Adrian (2), Point and St. Thomas very important, esp. if the Tommies win the MIAC conference playoffs...
                          SNC Men:
                          Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                          NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                          SNC Women:
                          O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Well, you can't "manipulate" who your conference-mates play. All a team can do -especially if they play in a so-so conference such as the NEHC- is to seek quality OOC scheduling.

That's all there is to it; there's no grand conspiracy at play -or one even remotely possible, considering all the variables involved- and the typical SOS metrics are good enough to hang our hats on, lacking anything better.
                            Didn't say you could manipulate it that way, but that combination of circumstances for the top teams in the CCC is why Endicot has such a strong SOS, despite being in a realatively weak conference. No conspiracy implied, but that is how it happens.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                              Quality wins versus Adrian (2), Point and St. Thomas very important, esp. if the Tommies win the MIAC conference playoffs...
                              It would appear so.

I would think, then, that a win Saturday (not a given) would hopefully would clinch a bid (unless lots of east tourney upsets, of course.)

Not wanting to count chickens, but I am a bit less worried than I was...
                              St. Norbert College Green Knights
                              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                              ---
                              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Didn't say you could manipulate it that way, but that combination of circumstances for the top teams in the CCC is why Endicot has such a strong SOS, despite being in a realatively weak conference. No conspiracy implied, but that is how it happens.
                                ?

Endicott has a ghastly SOS of 52 via KRACH, but when you win as many games as they have, giving them the benefit of the doubt -at least to some extent- is logical... There's no way to disprove they they wouldn't have an equally gaudy record vs. a much better SOS. And I'd make the same argument in favor of Norwich (SOS 28).

As far as the rankings go, I'm stunned that they still have Utica at #8. Even as a fan, I can't agree with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X